*Lizards-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Auel4   KrazyKelli   Auel4   KrazyKelli   Auel4   KrazyKelli  

Member  Message

Auel4
View Profile

Sick or wanting to lay eggs?? veiled chemeleon

ok...we have a veiled chameleon and about an hour ago my kids thought she was dead...she was lying on the bottom of the cage not moving and her eyes were closed...when they picked her up...she opened her eyes and seems to be ok...shes not malnourished and has access to water...is she wanting to lay eggs? Heres my REAL question tho...will she lay eggs even if there is NO MALE present? shes probably 3 months old...any advice would be helpful ;)

11/26/11  06:10pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Auel4   In reference to Message Id: 2245353

She needs to see a vet. There is clearly something wrong with her if she’s listless and not wanting to move (or flee) from one spot after being grabbed. It could be anything from parasites to some ailment to bad temps to impaction. We don’t know. A vet will find it out for you. Are you giving the lizard proper UVB lighting and keeping the temps around 100 in the basking area, and at least 90 on the hot side?

I have not owned a veiled chameleon, but I have a hard time believing that it’s fully matured and popping out eggs at 3 months of age. That’s way too young.

Some chameleon species, I have heard, get overly stressed out upon seeing their own reflection and, thusly, should not be kept in a glass terrarium. I don’t know how true this is, but I have read this far more than once on random care forums. Throwing it out there.

11/26/11  10:00pm

Auel4
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2245372

thank you KrazyKelli....yes she does have the proper lighting...she seemed top be ok last night and now again this morning...i thought she was a little young to lay eggs too but after reading some of the posts on here i thought maybe this was the case because as soon as my kids picked her up she seemed ok and bounced right back...she could have fallen too...i really dont know...well keep an eye on her tho...thanks again ;)

11/27/11  08:04am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Auel4   In reference to Message Id: 2245418

I’m pretty serious about the vet thing. A lizard will not show weakness unless something is seriously wrong; They can be sick for a LONG time before you notice something is wrong. So even if she’s miraculously up and about again, there could still be something going on. At least drop by the vet and get a fecal test done, as parasite problems are incredibly common in the reptile trade and can be easily fixed with dewormers and one or two tank cleanings.

11/27/11  11:13am

Auel4
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2245425

update...we brought her to the vet and she stayed for 2 days...she was dehydrated...no parasites or infection...we have everything we need for her but it just didnt seem to work...weve had her back for a few days now and she "seems" to be better...shes not eating a whole lot of crickets (she is eating them...just not as many as she used to) but we bumped up the temp and water supply and she seems to be content with that...we are also considering adoption for her as we (as a family) just dont know if we can do her justice as far as her care goes...there is a vet tech at our vet office who is willing to foster her if we decide...thank you KrazyKelli for the info ;)

12/04/11  10:30am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Auel4   In reference to Message Id: 2246117

Any time. If you ever have to give up your chammy to another person, but still want to consider reptiles in the future, you should look more towards a bearded dragon or leopard gecko. Both are beginner lizards, can be handled, are hardy, and are pretty nice. Chameleons are a more advanced lizard to own.

12/05/11  08:37pm

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area