Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*Snakes-General Forum

Hammer   JEFF QUARLES   Hammer   Carmelita   JEFF QUARLES   Jade2u   Hammer  
 Member  Message

Hammer
View Profile

Transporting Snakes

I’m not sure how many of you actually transport your snakes any distance, but riding in a car can kill your snake. I had one die on me a month or so ago when I brought him back to Michigan from the Hamburg show. The constant vibration making their heads bob up and down will kill them if you’re not careful. My drive was 9 hours, so a short, one hour ride probably won’t bother them. Anyway, this is how I cope with the trip.

I take a Rubbermaid and use four bungee cords and secure the cords to four points on the ceiling of the vehicle, suspending the Rubbermaid. Then I use a 5th cord to hold it steady in the center. This dampenes the ride to where there is almost no vibration, so after a 9 hour ride, the snakes are relatively stress-free. It’s extremely important for neonates.

06/07/04  6:54am
Sorry, No Replies

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: Hammer   In reference to Message Id: 83197

Transporting Snakes

I GO OUT WEST HERPING SO MUCH, THAT I JUST CHUNK THEM INTO A PILLOW CASE AND THEN PUT THE P CASE IN A 5 GAL BUCKET. SO FAR I HAVE BEEN LUCKY AND HAVEN’T LOST ONE YET. OCASSIONALLY I WILL SQUIRT A LITTLE WATER ONTO THE PILLOW CASE FOR MOISTURE.

06/07/04  11:12am
Sorry, No Replies

Hammer
View Profile

Message To: JEFF   In reference to Message Id: 83277

Transporting Snakes

Yeah, but those 15 foot diamond backs you catch with a 10 inch girth don’t need the protection! :)

06/07/04  11:42am
Sorry, No Replies

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Hammer   In reference to Message Id: 83284

Transporting Snakes

I ride with them in a pillowcase on my passenger’s lap, or if I am alone, I have a soft sided pet carrier that buckles to the passenger’s seat. (of course, I have never had a hot snake.)

06/07/04  1:28pm
Sorry, No Replies

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 83335

Transporting Snakes

THEY SEEM TO RELAX IN THAT SOFT PILLOW CASE. WHENEVER I WOULD USE TUBS OR RUBBERMAIDS, THEY WOULD OVERHEAT AND NOT FAIR WELL. A GOOD BUDDY OF MINE, THE ONE WHO UNFORTIONATLEY DIED FROM THAT KRAIT TOLD ME TO ALWAYS USE PILLOW CASES. GOD MY SPELLING SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

06/07/04  2:11pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jade2u
View Profile

Message To: Hammer   In reference to Message Id: 83197

Transporting Snakes

Hammer, sounds like your snake had other problems. Let me ask you a question, in all seriousness (no sarcasm). How do you think these breeders send there babies out? Usually through an airline who has lazy a$$ employees that throw the boxes all around. Then you have the noise and vibrations from the plane proceeded by more dumb a$$ employees throwing boxes around and into the warehouse then onto trucks or vans. Sometimes these reptiles are in the trucks/vans for almost 12 hours and unless overheated or frozen come out none the worse for wear. Sorry, my friend but it sounds like there were some other underlying problems with your snake. There is no doubt that a snake that is not 100% healthy when exposed to stresses unfamiliar has a definite health failure effect, even death. I have shipped and transported many snakes. I use pillowcases/snake bags because that is the way I have found for many reasons to be the best way to transport. We do educational reptile shows on the east coast. Sometimes we drive for hours to get to where we are going and even our neonate snakes that are taken along sometimes are none the worse for wear when we return home. I would definitely contact whatever breeder you purchased your snake from and let them know you’d like a refund. Sorry for your loss.

06/08/04  2:27pm
Sorry, No Replies

Hammer
View Profile

Message To: Jade2u   In reference to Message Id: 83816

Transporting Snakes

Hey Jade
The thought of the snake being ill had crossed my mind, but the breeder is a well known and respected breeder and the pair of Waglers were in good health from what I saw. He cautioned me that the stress of riding in a car could kill a snake. I watched the head bob up and down in cadence to the quick vibration for about 9-10 hours, and was concerned about the effects of the ride. The Popes were adult size and I wasn’t too concerned. The other Wagler made it ok and is still doing very good.

I had often wondered the same thing, about ending a snake Delta Dash in the winter and receiving them in great shape. I should note that two neonate eyelashes died a week after being transported that way.

I think the thicker bodied snakes can cope with the stress of car vibration pretty well, but I worry about smaller, thinner snakes, especially arboreal snakes. So I agree with your comment, but until there is a better understanding on how travel impacts snakes, I will probably still go the extra mile to ensure they are as comfortable as possible.

06/09/04  5:15am
Sorry, No Replies

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area