Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alligator Lizards Forum

Bigjayjon   MisterKabob   Bigjayjon   MisterKabob   Bigjayjon   Bigjayjon   Ameivaboy   Bigjayjon   Bigjayjon   MisterKabob   Bigjayjon   MisterKabob   Bigjayjon   MisterKabob   MisterKabob   Bigjayjon   MisterKabob   Bigjayjon   Bigjayjon   MisterKabob  
 Member  Message

Bigjayjon
View Profile

Taming an Alligator Lizard

I caught an southern alligator lizard about a month and a half ago. It’s been doing well every since. At first it won’t eat anything until i leave the room. Now every time I throw a cricket in there, it will readily eat it with no hesitation. Any more concerns from anyone would be greatly appreciated. By the way can it be handled and tamed?

05/24/10  01:56am

MisterKabob
View Profile

Message To: Bigjayjon   In reference to Message Id: 2150109

yes. but not completely. Alligator lizards (and almost any lizard) can not be completely tamed. they can be vary close tho. with me, bob and i are close friends (bob is my alligator lizard) it took a lot of time tho. i was scared to hold him until he was about 7. i decided that it was okay and he didn’t bite me. all you really have to do is watch him a while. so he or she can get use to your face. maybe you can keep your hand in his tank for a while so he knows what it is. that it wont hurt him, he should warm up to that. they seem to only form a relationship with one person. so don’t leave someone with him a lot! after a while just pick him up for a while keep him in your hands and on your arm, only for a while then put him back in the tank. do this 2-3 times a week. every week or two hold him longer. he should warm up to you, and remember just because he "hisses" which they do before you pick them up, doesn’t mean he is going to bite you.

hope this help out. i basically did this with bob just not the hold (but it does work since i have done this with about 7 other alligator lizards) and bob and i are best friends he will be turning 9 next month!!! but anyway best of luck

Misterkabob

05/24/10  04:20pm

Bigjayjon
View Profile

Message To: MisterKabob   In reference to Message Id: 2150304

Not sure if the picture went through. If not need tips on how to upload my lizard photos....

05/25/10  11:28am

MisterKabob
View Profile

Message To: Bigjayjon   In reference to Message Id: 2150511

make sure you did this befor the picture [ image ] with out spaces and then [ / Image ] after the image. just to make sure it gets in. or you can click on image maker and put in the url of the photo and it will put it in. but i am excited to see it! what color is it? i am on the hunt for a green one. i cought one earlyer but i released it since i wasn’t going to be at home for a few days.

05/25/10  03:50pm

Bigjayjon
View Profile

Message To: MisterKabob   In reference to Message Id: 2150564

My Alligator lizard

Hope it works this time from this link

05/26/10  01:38am

Bigjayjon
View Profile

Message To: Bigjayjon   In reference to Message Id: 2150688

My Alligator lizard

The picture i submitted should go through. The lizard is quiet a large one.

05/26/10  01:41am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Bigjayjon   In reference to Message Id: 2150689

My Alligator lizard

to place an image you need to wrap the link like this

[Image.] _http://YourLinkHere.com_ [/Image]

05/29/10  04:12pm

Bigjayjon
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 2151393

My Alligator lizard

05/30/10  01:19pm

Bigjayjon
View Profile

Message To: Bigjayjon   In reference to Message Id: 2151527

My Alligator lizard

There that should do it! Nice and clear picture of the lizard

05/30/10  01:20pm

MisterKabob
View Profile

Message To: Bigjayjon   In reference to Message Id: 2151528

My Alligator lizard

WOW!!!!! that is one nice lizard. how long is he? how wide? Bob is 9 inches long and about 1 inch across.
Yours looks like a Male by the look of it. okay does it have brown or yellow eyes. just wondering.

05/30/10  05:49pm

Bigjayjon
View Profile

Message To: MisterKabob   In reference to Message Id: 2151578

My Alligator lizard

He’s about 3/4 inch wide and about 6 1/2 inches long. His tail was long gone when I recovered him but it’s slowly growing back. Eyes are kinda yellowish brown. Your right I think he is a male and I also think that females are somewhat smaller and skinnier.

05/31/10  01:21am

MisterKabob
View Profile

Message To: Bigjayjon   In reference to Message Id: 2151688

My Alligator lizard

okay. your alligator lizard is a Southern Alligator lizard. but just to make sure if you look at his belly what is it like. is it like this? Link
or more like this? Link
he still has time to grow. they get anywhere from 7-8 inches in the body. not tail.
with females its not generally true, it like people we have girls that are really tall, short, skinny, heavy. and we have boys that are tall, short, skinny, heavy. so we can have lizards that are longer than others, shorter, skinnyer, or heavyer. It kinda all dependes on what the parents were like (for the lizards as well). but a lot of females i have seen are bigger than males. but i have seen femals smaller than them as well. but oh well it doesn’t really matter lol
This is my baby. Bob

05/31/10  10:32am

Bigjayjon
View Profile

Message To: MisterKabob   In reference to Message Id: 2151742

My Alligator lizard

Wow!! That’s cool. Wish my Alligator lizard was that tame. Still timid, even though I had him for a while now touching him not a really big deal but picking him up, he hisses and threatens to bite. However, I would really love to get a captive bred Alligator lizard. Do you know where I could buy one? Someone told me at small independantly owned pet shops.

P.S: As far as the belly is concerend more like the second picture you posted. Kinda like a solid dusty cream color.

05/31/10  11:20am

MisterKabob
View Profile

Message To: Bigjayjon   In reference to Message Id: 2151752

My Alligator lizard

yeah, bob is probably one of the most tame alligator lizards (for being wild caught). i can even have him out side on a warm day, and he will fall asleep on my leg. he hates strangers tho! like i have had him for so long and we have become such grate friends that i can pet his head! if one of my friends trys this he will puff up hiss and try to bite. they just know. im am couriouse to see your incloser. so post some pics!!!! i will post one of mine!!!

Your alligator lizards is a Northern Alligator lizard. mine is southern. as for getting captive bred. you must surch online. i have never heard or seen a store that sells them. sorry.
Have your named your little friend? if not you need to name it Borris. it looks like a borris. you should name it borris.

06/01/10  07:22pm

MisterKabob
View Profile

Message To: MisterKabob   In reference to Message Id: 2152232

My Alligator lizard

okay well this is my old set up. now he has a pond. a few fake plants and its alot neater.. haha

plus lighting now. where the rock structure is is the pond its about a forth of his tank. his rock is on the other side with the fake plants in between

06/07/10  08:42pm

Bigjayjon
View Profile

Message To: MisterKabob   In reference to Message Id: 2154084

My Alligator lizard

It’s official. His name is "Borris". Nice name suggestion by the way...

06/08/10  06:20pm

MisterKabob
View Profile

Message To: Bigjayjon   In reference to Message Id: 2154325

My Alligator lizard

your welcome! i have this way with naming animals. it always seems to match their personalitys. like my gueany pig Choco "Piggy" girl or Choco lateta wolfe. but she is a big pig. Goober which means peanut brain is my rabbit. he isn’t very smart. Zolo which sounds energetic is the only name that has failed me. My Anole is zolo. she hasn’t eaten for a month!!!!! but bob is a lazy name and sounds like they would eat alot! and guess what?? that is bob spiting image!!!!! fat and lazy. haha so how has it been with Borris? have you been putting your face by the glass? puting your hand in the tank? does his run if you open the tank up? if not try puting your hand closer to him until he does run away. or every try to pick him up. if he bites, just see what happens. in the last pic it seems like borris has some narly battle scars. with the red on him..... hope everything is working out for you guys

with love
Misterkabob

06/10/10  03:59pm

Bigjayjon
View Profile

Message To: MisterKabob   In reference to Message Id: 2154733

My Alligator lizard

He’s been doing really well actually. He doesn’t get that scarred anymore every since I first took him in. When i touch him though he gets a little skittish and hisses a bit but doesn’t attempted to bite. Picking him up though he gapes his mouth wide open ready to bite. I’ve been noticing though that he’s starting to do that less often, mainly because I did what you said to try. Putting the hand on the glass and watching him up close when he’s out seems to have calmed him alot.

As far as the scars on him, most likely were the pesky mites that infested him. Don’t worry though I gave him a clean oil and water bath which got rid of them. Other than that, Borris couldn’t be happier!

By the way do you have anyother reptiles like snakes or amphibians like frogs or something? If you have pics that be cool.

06/10/10  06:31pm

Bigjayjon
View Profile

Message To: MisterKabob   In reference to Message Id: 2154733

My Alligator lizard

He’s been doing really well actually. He doesn’t get that scarred anymore every since I first took him in. When i touch him though he gets a little skittish and hisses a bit but doesn’t attempted to bite. Picking him up though he gapes his mouth wide open ready to bite. I’ve been noticing though that he’s starting to do that less often, mainly because I did what you said to try. Putting the hand on the glass and watching him up close when he’s out seems to have calmed him alot.

As far as the scars on him, most likely were the pesky mites that infested him. Don’t worry though I gave him a clean oil and water bath which got rid of them. Other than that, Borris couldn’t be happier!

By the way do you have anyother reptiles like snakes or amphibians like frogs or something? If you have pics that be cool.

06/10/10  06:39pm

MisterKabob
View Profile

Message To: Bigjayjon   In reference to Message Id: 2154772

My Alligator lizard

Why yes i do, but sadly i only have pictures of my last blue bellys. but right now i have an alibino corn snake, and an Anole. here are the pictures of my blue bellies that live now in my yard..
Center F.

Granit

Salamnder Zues

Maxwell

Lupin

And of course Bob

06/11/10  11:58pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area