Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anacondas Forum

Greeneyes   Murphyman   Razeraze   Murphyman   Pythonguy   Murphyman   Greeneyes   Murphyman   Greeneyes   Greeneyes   Murphyman   Razeraze   Kanole5   Eunectes4   Skaterboy   Snakekeeper11112222   Goober   TarantulaKid   Eunectes4   Sean102   Tripp15   Eunectes4   Blue_note   Pythonguy   Pythonguy   Eunectes4   Greeneyes   Murphyman   Crsaz   Pythonguy  
Pages 1 2 3 Next
 Member  Message

Greeneyes
View Profile

Pet Store selling green anaconda to a 14 yr old!

Iíd like to say hello to everyone, Iím new to this board. I do not own a Anaconda and probably never will. I do enjoy reading about them and I think they are fascinating snakes. Iíve been reading on these boards for the past week or so, and it really troubles me that pet stores are selling Anacondas to children. Just the other day I was at my local pet store getting some food for my Red Tail Boa and I couldnít believe they sold a Green Anaconda to a 14 yr old! I didnít even hear the guy in the pet store explain to this boy how huge this snake will get. I asked him if his parents knew he was buying an anaconda and he said "no" and I told him how big the snake will get and he said,"Thats ok Iíll be keeping it in my closet." I couldnít belive it. I tried to encourage him to get a corn snake he said that he wanted something COOL. It pissed me off but there was nothing I could do about it. Is there a law when it comes to selling snakes to minors? Iím not saying anything bad about children but the guy in the pet store obviously didnít care about snakes, because he should have never sold that snake to that boy especially without his parents being there.

01/08/06  07:22pm

Murphyman
View Profile

Message To: Greeneyes   In reference to Message Id: 598434

Iím 14 and I have an anaconda. Like I said in an earlier post its not the age of the person(to some extent), its the responsibility level. Now the kid your talking about doesnt sound like he needs an anaconda but not all are like that. Me for example have many snakes and iím only 14, i am completely independant with my snakes and I have had snakes as pets since I was 3. Even though Iím only 14 I am completely responsible for my snakes and know how to care for them appropriately.

Zack

01/08/06  08:49pm

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: Murphyman   In reference to Message Id: 598591

zack you missed understood the post. he/she is not asying all 14 year olds are irresponsible he/she is asking if there is a law restricting minors. which there probably is. i know i have heard stores turn down kids unless their parents knew and were there.

Greeneyes call your local police non-emergancy number they can point you in the right direction. i am sure it differs from state to state.

01/08/06  08:56pm

Murphyman
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 598604

I know razer, I just get pissed when people under estimate kids. Many people think that just because Im young I dont know what Im doing. Sorry if I came on a little harsh.

Zack

01/08/06  09:04pm

Pythonguy
View Profile

Message To: Murphyman   In reference to Message Id: 598618

I hate when people think just bacause your young you dont no or can handle any thing.I know someone that has lots more experience with reptiles than me ,but he thought that his red tail would get 15 feet and he also didnt know wat type of carpet python he had until i told him.

01/08/06  09:14pm

Murphyman
View Profile

Message To: Pythonguy   In reference to Message Id: 598643

AMEN!!!!

Zack

01/08/06  09:16pm

Greeneyes
View Profile

Message To: Murphyman   In reference to Message Id: 598591

Maybe you misunderstood me. Iím sure youíre great with your snakes. What I meant was that the boys mother was not present, which was neglect on both sides and keeping a snake in a closet is not very responsible. Iíd like to know how he plans to take care of this snake as in feeding, proper housing, and handeling.He seemed to have no idea what he was getting into, because keeping an Anaconda is a tremendous responsibilty that most people get tired of and then the snakes are left to starve and die. I falt the guy that sold him this snake because he gave the boy no information and was trying to make a dollar. Most 30 yr olds donít need Anacondas, not just 14 yr olds. I bet in 2 months the snake will be dead. The boy didnít ask to even hold the snake, and was gonna put it in his closet! no heat lamp or anything. It just pisses me off that this guy just wanted to make a dollar and didnít care how he had to do it. And one more thing, Anacondas are beautiful animals and it takes very educated, devoted people to care for them as needed and Iím tired of seeing these snakes being abused by people that want them because the think a big snake is cool. Situations like this is why people want to outlaw these snakes because they are going into the wrong hands.

01/08/06  09:37pm

Murphyman
View Profile

Message To: Greeneyes   In reference to Message Id: 598691

Like i said greeneyes, Iím sure that the kid there wasnt anywhere close to being prepared for the time and care he would have to devote to this snake. But I am just tired of kids getting slammed for their possible innability to handle the responsibility of haveing a large snake.
Now, I understand you wernt slamming kids, and I said i was sorry for being a little harsh about it. Sorry bout it again.

Zack

01/08/06  09:48pm

Greeneyes
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 598604

Razeraze that is an awesome Red Tail in that Pic. How old is he/she? I just bought one about 3 weeks ago. I would post a pic, but I donít know how. By the way, Iím a she lol.

01/08/06  09:49pm

Greeneyes
View Profile

Message To: Murphyman   In reference to Message Id: 598708

No problem, and Iím sorry if I offended you. How many condas do you have?

01/08/06  10:07pm

Murphyman
View Profile

Message To: Greeneyes   In reference to Message Id: 598747

no problem greeneyes. I only have one anaconda. if you check my profile you can see my other snakes.

Zack

01/08/06  10:14pm

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: Greeneyes   In reference to Message Id: 598715

the red tail is 4.

like i said call your non ememrgancy number and find out. no kid should be able to buy any pet with out their parents being there. that is how kids get them home and parents want them out of the house.
sorry to people under 18 but you all know your parents have the last descision in their house. bringing a pet into their house with out their permission usually winds up bad.
responsible young ones should be able to bring their parents with when they buy or adopt any animal.

01/08/06  10:33pm

Kanole5
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 598791

I wonder how his parents will react when they see it.

01/13/06  03:50pm

Eunectes4
View Profile

Message To: Kanole5   In reference to Message Id: 604307

For the sake of complete exotic bans all over the united states I must say I do not think potentially dangerous snakes should be sold to minors. It should not be difficult for young herp lovers today to have their parents go with them to purchase a snake.

I do not think you can buy a dog or cat if you are a minor either. I have no idea why people (especially pet stores) are willing to sell more dangerous animals which require much more specialization and attention than common domestics.

Like I mentioned before...this is Not because I think minors are incapable and I underestimate them. I think a lot of you know a ton about these animals and many older folks should put in half the passion some of you have toward their animals. But the fact is we (most of us) live in a country which is getting heavily overburdened with new rules and regulations and for the sake of keeping the ability to have herps for many years to come...we should consider this. All of you 14 year olds will be 18 and 21 soon enough and can buy what you want then without the assistance of a parent.

I will also mention the parent assistance is somewhat pointless on a rational note because some parents OVERESTIMATE the abilities of their children or simply do not care. All it does having this guideline is help other (snake fearing public citizens) from freaking out about the snakes in their neighborhood kept by "children"

And on a fun note..here is a anaconda relative I found hanging out by a tree in Costa Rica.

01/13/06  07:40pm

Skaterboy
View Profile

Message To: Eunectes4   In reference to Message Id: 604580

i agree with you on everything you have mentioned in your post eunectes4, and i really think it is irresponsible to be selling green anacondas to 14 year olds. my pet store though is very good when i went to buy my new corn snake i said why i was there and they said "is you parent or guardian with you?" and i said yeah theyre just coming and he wouldnt let me actully make any decisions until my dad was there (he let me see and hold some of the snakes though). and ive held a fully grown anaconda before that a guy in my village owns when i held it the guy just put him into my arms then let go and i collapsed under the sheer weight of it(lucky it was a very good natured anaconda lol).
and to finish here is a pic of my new corn snake Ghost

MIKE

01/15/06  02:40pm

Snakekeeper11112222
View Profile

Message To: Skaterboy   In reference to Message Id: 606932

im 13, but are there actually kids that buy snakes and bring them home? my dad would freak out and say we already have enough! and i only have 1 ball pyth, a dog and two cats, and what kind of pet store sells condas? unless its a reptile store, theres none of those around me

02/01/06  09:45pm

Goober
View Profile

Message To: Snakekeeper11112222   In reference to Message Id: 631289

Were was this I have been looking for a pet store that sells green
Anacondas because there is no breeders around here.

02/02/06  04:29pm

TarantulaKid
View Profile

Message To: Goober   In reference to Message Id: 632404

well i understand your concern sir, ive seen some wacky 14 yr olds...but i have seen some very responsible smart and capable young teens on these forums who are very good snake keepers...i think our buddy ben is a good example.The guy who got that snake with have to take a crash coarse on the ana if he wants to care for it properly,you should have recomended him to come to this site/forum

02/02/06  05:02pm

Eunectes4
View Profile

Message To: TarantulaKid   In reference to Message Id: 632436

Well, you read the post and you saw I stated it is not that some kids are not knowledgeable and responsible. It is a political issue.

There are not likely anaconda breeders in anyones area because there are very few (especially for greens) in the country.

On the subject of Ben...He is 18. If he had the collection he does now at 14 it would be a different story. Ben puts a lot of time and investigation into his snakes and I guarantee he has purchased none of his anacondas from a pet store. He is not an example of minors (under 21 or 18) with anacondas because he is by far more responsible and educated than the majority.

I will also put my neck on the line and say this site is not a great source for anaconda help. There are very very few people who I would consider responsible and knowledgeable on the topic. I read through the posts and more than the very very few are offering advice.

02/03/06  11:25am

Sean102
View Profile

Message To: Eunectes4   In reference to Message Id: 633616

why do u care what the 14 year old gets its none of yur business if he wants to get a 25 foot snake he do what ever the h*** he wants im 13 and i have a albino burmese r u gonna report me and say i got one of those. if u didnt know its NOT illegal so dont even worry about it.god u make the biggest out of the litlest things.

02/04/06  06:47pm

Tripp15
View Profile

Message To: Sean102   In reference to Message Id: 635506

thank god someone younger then me has a burm. i want one sean any tips on them i am heading for a albino male.

02/04/06  07:38pm

Eunectes4
View Profile

Message To: Tripp15   In reference to Message Id: 635566

Sean,

If you were not aware, there are many states where it is illegal and more are passing bans each year for just that reason.

02/04/06  07:59pm

Blue_note
View Profile

Message To: Tripp15   In reference to Message Id: 635566

Sean102 - No, it may not be his business, but Iím going to highly doubt you have ever taken in any rescue situations. There are a few people in here that have taken in snakes that were in HORRIBLE shape (myself included) because of irresponsible kids going out and buying snakes without knowing one thing about them before hand. Iím not trying to be rude or anything, but any snakes life is a big deal. These snakes are a VERY large responsibility, and most 14 yr. old kids donít have the funding, canít drive to get food for the snake or get to vet apts. if needed, etc. Itís not illegal, no, but some people care about snakes enough to know that 90% of 14 yr. old kids are not responsible enough to take care of a snake like a burm, retic, or conda. Nor would they know proper husbandry, caging, have prior experience with HUGE snakes (It IS needed A LOT more than you think). Unless the parents are helping out A LOT, these snakes are very hard to care for. This isnít really making a big deal out of something small, because it happens everyday and more snakes are dying everyday, which is just increasing the chance of them outlawing the snakes all together, which effects everyone.

I am 18 yrs. old, and I will be living on my own, in my own house sometime between July and Aug.. And no, none of my Anacondas were purchased from a Pet Store, all from Private Breeders and Parties.

Not trying to start anything though, so donít take it the wrong way, Iím just throwing in my 2 cents.

02/04/06  08:17pm

Pythonguy
View Profile

Message To: Blue_note   In reference to Message Id: 635610

I complety agree with Ben.Snakes are dieing every day because people get them because they think there cool to own or they can just dump the snake when it gets to big to handle.These snakes arent íícoolí to own their a very big responsabilityíand there a living breathing animal they diserve better than this.Petstores also arent good places to buy animals like this because their usually unhealthy.The snakes i have bought from the petstores all had mites except for one.

02/04/06  08:50pm

Pythonguy
View Profile

Message To: Blue_note   In reference to Message Id: 635610

I completly agree with Ben.Snakes are dieing every day because people get them because they think there cool to own or they can just dump the snake when it gets to big to handle.These snakes arent íícoolí to own their a very big responsabilityíand there a living breathing animal they diserve better than this.Petstores also arent good places to buy animals like this because their usually unhealthy.The snakes i have bought from the petstores all had mites except for one.

02/04/06  08:50pm

Eunectes4
View Profile

Message To: Pythonguy   In reference to Message Id: 635662

I do want to mention that under the dangerous animal act passed in my state not too many years ago...large snakes are illegal. There are also many city ordinances which have much stricter regulations such as no boas or pythons PERIOD.

I am not saying it is my business and I never tried to make anything my business but I will say what I know and I am giving a warning to you all ahead of time. Things are changing and do not be surprised if by the time you are 18 or 21 you will not be allowed to have your snakes anyway.

02/04/06  09:54pm

Greeneyes
View Profile

Message To: Eunectes4   In reference to Message Id: 635806

Does anyone know about the laws in North Carolina? I assume since they sell them in the pet store that large snakes are legal here. If they do pass the law, does that mean no more can be sold or bred, or do you have to get rid of the snakes you currently have? I guess itís a good idea not to let majority of people know you even have a snake.

02/04/06  10:29pm

Murphyman
View Profile

Message To: Greeneyes   In reference to Message Id: 635873

I live in north carolina and there are no laws for snakes. In my county however, if you have a snake that is over 10 feet in lenth you have to have it registered. And as for the getting rid of snakesbecause of the law, it would all depend on how they wrote the law. They could write it so that you had to get rid of them or they could make it so that if you already had one you just had to make sure people around knew about it and were ok with it.(I got all this info from my law teacher at school)

Zack

02/04/06  11:04pm

Crsaz
View Profile

Message To: Murphyman   In reference to Message Id: 635958

I am only 14 and have 4 colubrids which wer my first snakes then I got a rtb 2 years ago and I got a female retic this year from bob clark, And I am right now talking my dad int leting me rescue a venomoid gaboon viper. And I am for sure getting a green anaconda within a few months I was going to get her sooner but rescueing the gaboon will set me back a
little bit money wise

Here is my female retic

02/11/06  09:34pm

Pythonguy
View Profile

Message To: Crsaz   In reference to Message Id: 646214

Your only 14 and your talking your dad into letting you get a venomus?

02/11/06  09:38pm
Pages 1 2 3 Next

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area