Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoles-Breeding Forum

Juice*   Lizzlover#01   Anton16   Herpenstein   Me1983   NucklePhil   Beth4123   Jagaur423   Jagaur423   Dylan1003   Tomboy10   Crazyfrog   Atrax27407   Anole~Lover   FutureVet123   Atrax27407   Reptileking123   Dinox64   Atrax27407   Reptilezilla1616   Atrax27407   Reptilezilla1616   Slayer-XXX   Atrax27407   Atrax27407   Slayer-XXX  
 Member  Message

Juice*
View Profile

How can you tell if they are boy or girl

how can you tell do they have bumps or something or are they transsexual

12/30/05  12:12am

Lizzlover#01
View Profile

Message To: Juice*   In reference to Message Id: 587089

I cant say for sure but i pretty sure the males are bigger in size and have a bigger neck. but i havent had them in a while so dont quote me

01/01/06  04:43pm

Anton16
View Profile

Message To: Lizzlover#01   In reference to Message Id: 589725

males are normally larger and have bigger heads also females sometimes get a cream coloured line along the ridge on their back another way to tell and probably the most reliable is that males have a red flap of skin under their neck called a dewlap you can also tell by looking at their stomach at the start of their tails but i cant really explain it ill try to get photos

01/04/06  07:03pm

Herpenstein
View Profile

Message To: Anton16   In reference to Message Id: 593525

The best way to tell, in adult anoles is too look for a large bulge just under the vent. Male Anoles have this bulge, females do not.

01/10/06  08:32pm

Me1983
View Profile

Message To: Herpenstein   In reference to Message Id: 601039

Look for 2 post anal scales as well. To be 100% correct get a test from a vet . Go to the anole forum and see sexing anoles for more info.

01/24/06  07:29pm

NucklePhil
View Profile

Message To: Me1983   In reference to Message Id: 619758

if your talking about green and brown anoles boys are the one with the orange beard thing under their necks.

02/12/06  11:06pm

Beth4123
View Profile

Message To: NucklePhil   In reference to Message Id: 647912

The beard thing you are referring to is a dewlap. Some females have dewlaps as well as males. They can very in color depending on the anole’s place in orgin. See "Sexing Anoles" in the Anole forum.

02/13/06  07:16pm

Jagaur423
View Profile

Message To: Herpenstein   In reference to Message Id: 601039

the way you can tell is if theyve got a stick going threw both there eyes and if they dont you should put one

03/04/06  12:34pm

Jagaur423
View Profile

Message To: Jagaur423   In reference to Message Id: 677215

lmao, im jokin

03/04/06  11:50pm

Dylan1003
View Profile

here i got some pics of those scales they were refering to i also have one of the cream line on the back and one of the dewlap its not fully out but youll get the point

03/05/06  02:27pm

Tomboy10
View Profile

Message To: Dylan1003   In reference to Message Id: 678757

Ok my Bahaman doesnt have any of that...I’m really startin to think it’s a girl...

05/29/06  12:15pm

Crazyfrog
View Profile

Ok the best way guarunteed is that in all green anoles, the females all have a lightened line go’n down the spine on its back. the males lack this line. thats it. thats how you tell. :)

05/30/06  03:35pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Crazyfrog   In reference to Message Id: 810855

Sorry, that is NOT correct. Both sexes may have a mid-dorsal line. Both may also have dewlaps.

05/31/06  07:34am

Anole~Lover
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 811991

Your best bet is to check for hempinal bulges. I have no idea how many times I’ve said this in the past week. Atrax, I’m starting to realize how you must feel most of the time, constantly repeating yourself. Wow...crazy. Back to subject, if there are hempinal bulges, its a male, if not -- female.

07/07/06  07:24pm

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: Anole~Lover   In reference to Message Id: 871953

What is a Hempinal Bulge?(sorry if I spelled it wrong----I didn’t do it on purpose, because I’m only 11) I was just wondering because I was told I have a male Anole by a teacher who I’m not convinced knows a ton about Green Anoles(that’s what I have----a green anole).
Thanks
-Jeni

09/03/06  04:52pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 969687

A hemipenile bulge is a bulge at the base of the tail in males. It is to accomodate the male reproductive organs. Males also have a pair of enlarged postanal scales just past the vent. Females lack either.

09/03/06  07:13pm

Reptileking123
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 969857

It’s a girl!!!

03/16/07  04:09pm

Dinox64
View Profile

Hi.I too am thinking of getting some anoles.Now how do you know if they are green or brown if they change colors back and forth.At the pet store they have what seems to be both in the same tank but just tagged as ANOLES $5.99.I kind of remember reading browns have diamond shapes on their heads?I am planning a terrarium and would like some animal life in it.ANOLE-LOVER for 14 years old you seem to know your stuff.Thanks

03/18/07  07:27pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Dinox64   In reference to Message Id: 1213744

Here you go:

Anoles – Quick and Simple

Environment

Enclosures – By far, the best enclosure to house an Anole in is an aquarium with a screen top. They maintain temperature and humidity better than anything else. The MINIMUM requirement is 10 gallons of space per Anole. It doesn’t matter whether the Anole is an adult, juvenile, or hatchling. This applies to small/medium Anoles (A. carolinensis, A. sagrei, etc.). Of course, if you can afford it, a larger enclosure would be better. Also, the “high” or “tall” versions are preferred since Anoles are arboreal.
For large species such as A. equestris and A. garmani, you should triple the minimum space requirement.

Substrate – The first rule is NEVER use a substrate that contains indigestible material. This includes such things as sand, ground Walnut hulls, corncob refuse, moss, bark products, pebbles, gravel, etc. These materials can cause impaction and death if ingested along with a prey item (Anoles often get a mouthful of substrate when hunting on the ground). DO NOT use unsterilized substrates of any kind. You risk importing all sorts of insect pests, slugs, and weed seeds when you use such materials. DO NOT use any substrates containing Pine, Fir, or Cedar shavings or bark. All of these produce chemicals that can cause nerve damage in reptiles. What can you use? Two of the best are organic potting soil (without Perlite or fertilizer) and organic compost. Both are absorbent and digestible and can be found at most garden supply stores for a few dollars.

Heating, Lighting, and Humidity – You don’t need any of the specialty bulbs that you see in the pet stores except for one. You will need a fluorescent UVB bulb and fixture. A 5% bulb is ideal. Anoles need the UVB to synthesize calcium. Heat can be supplied by a regular light bulb (which also produces UVA). You will need to have a warm and a cool side of the enclosure so the Anole can move about and thermoregulate (adjust his internal temperature). The cool side should be 75 degrees and the warm side should be about 82 degrees. You will also need to provide a basking spot of 85 – 92 degrees (90 is ideal). The lights should be on from 12-14 hours a day and turned on and off at the same time each day. A timer will take care of this. Unless your house gets lower than 60 degrees at night, you won’t need any nighttime heating. If it does, a Ceramic Heat Emitter is the best way to go. Since Anoles are arboreal, they like to bask in heat from above. All of the lighting should be mounted above the enclosure. Remember, glass and plexiglass will filter out 95% of the UVB so DO NOT put the fluorescent on the side of the enclosure but rather over the screen top and NEVER mount the light inside of the enclosure.
The humidity should be 50%+ and can be maintained by spraying a couple of times a day. This also provides drinking water for the Anole and they will lick the water droplets off the foliage and sides of the enclosure. Use distilled or filtered water to avoid hard to remove water spots on the glass sides of the enclosure.

Furniture – Anoles love to hide. They will blend into foliage to become almost invisible. You can use either real or artificial plants. Artificial plants have the advantage of not needing any care and not being subject to insect infestations. Real plants will help keep the humidity in the enclosure up. When you think you have enough plants in the enclosure, add a couple of more. You can use almost any houseplant that is rated for low or moderate light conditions. The ones to avoid are those with milky sap. They are usually toxic or contain an irritant. I have used Diffenbachias, Aralias, Scheffelaria, Crotons, and many others over the years with great success. You should also supply some branches for the Anoles to climb on. You can use dead branches from outside that have been sterilized in the oven for 30 minutes at 300 degrees to kill any mites or other “nasties”. The branches should be at least as big around as the Anole’s body. Artificial caves or other ground shelters are not needed. The Anole will be happy to hide and sleep among the plants.

Cleaning – A few minutes spent on a daily basis will delay but not eliminate the inevitable thorough cleaning. If you remove any feces and dead prey items daily, you should only have to do a thorough cleaning about every six months. You can use something like the Vinegar-based glass cleaners between major cleanings to remove any water spots on the glass.
For a major cleaning, remove the Anoles to a temporary enclosure and empty everything from the enclosure. Clean everything with a dilute solution of bleach, rinse everything thoroughly and let it dry before you put it back. Replace all of the substrate as well.

Anoles

Choosing an Anole – A sick Anole is almost impossible to treat. The difference between an effective medication dose and a lethal dose is often very small. So, start with a healthy Anole. It should be alert and active and try to escape from you when you try to catch it. If it is lethargic, it is sick. Check the vent area for smeared feces. If they are present, it either has parasites or intestinal problems. YOU WON’T NURSE IT BACK TO HEALTH. Vet treatments for small reptiles are expensive!

Male or Female – Some Anoles (A. sagrei) are dimorphic. That is, the female is a different pattern than the male. Cuban Brown Anole females (A. sagrei) have a diamond shaped pattern from the back of their neck to their tail. Males don’t. Green Anoles (A. carolinensis) look the same. Juvenile and mature males have a pair of enlarged postanal scales that can be seen with slight magnification. Mature males have a hemipenile bulge at the base of the tail. So, if it has either or both, it is a male. Otherwise, it is a female. Dewlaps, white lines, head shape, etc. are not reliably accurate. This is particularly true in immature specimens.

Feeding – Anoles are opportunistic feeders. They will eat as much as they can whenever prey items are available. They are insectivorous. That is, they eat live insects. Some will eat baby food fruit (peach or apricot) from time to time but it should be used as an emergency food rather than a staple part of their diet. A varied diet will produce the healthiest animals. Crickets are probably the easiest staple to find but you can feed them roach nymphs, flies, and a variety of wild caught insects from a pesticide free area. They love moths and other flying insects as well as cabbage worms. One of their favorites are waxworms but these are relatively high in fat content and will cause obesity if fed in excess.
Feeding every day or every other day works out fine. They will usually have a marked increase in appetite in the spring and a decrease in the fall. You should also dust the prey items with a calcium supplement once a week. Mealworms are NOT a good food choice. They have a hard, chitinous exoskeleton that can be difficult for the Anole to digest.

Color – Green Anoles are mistakenly called “American Chameleons” because of their ability to change colors from brown to green. Anoles change color for a variety of reasons not all of which are stress related. The adage “a Green Anole is a happy Anole” is not accurate. The converse is also not true. As long as the Anole is active and eating and drinking, color is not a concern. I have had Anoles that were Green 90% of the time and others that were brown 90% of the time and both lived a long and active life.

Breeding – Usually all that is required is to put a male and female in the same enclosure. The female Green Anole will start laying eggs about 2-4 weeks after a successful mating (they can store sperm for up to 7 months). She will lay one or two at a time until a total of 10-12 have been produced. Often the last couple of eggs are infertile. She will bury or partially bury them in the enclosure at the base of plants or in the corners. If you choose to incubate the eggs outside the enclosure, remove them taking care not to turn them from their original position. You can put them in a large deli dish with Vermiculite in it and they will hatch in 35-40 days at 85 degrees and 70% humidity.
Anoles can be brought into breeding with brumation. Reduce the nighttime temperature to right at 60 degrees and the photoperiod to 8-10 hours a day. Then, when you lengthen the day and slightly raise the temperature, they will think it is spring and mating will occur. This is usually not necessary, though.

Shedding – Anoles shed when their skin is restricting their growth. The interval depends on their age and eating habits. They will usually have a dull appearance just prior to the shed. White patches resembling blisters will appear and the skin will then begin to slough off. Anoles are master recyclers. They eat the skin as it is shed to reuse the nutrients. Shedding usually takes about an hour and they might even do it in stages with the head or body first followed in a couple of days by the other body part.

Lifespan and Health issues – Small/medium Anoles live 4-6 years routinely in captivity. That is longer than mice, rats, gerbils, and hamsters. Large species live 10-15 years. So you have a long term commitment.
Minor cuts and abrasions can be treated with human medications. For example, Neosporin will keep a wound from becoming infected and eye drops will take care of eye infections.

03/19/07  07:57am

Reptilezilla1616
View Profile

Males sometimes have white lines and sometimes don’t. Usually they have a much larger dewlap than female. All females and babies have white stripes. I have a male who’s white stripe is bigger than one of my females. But they sometimes lose that white stripe. Also two large bumps at the crease of the tail indicate a male, and small or medium sized bumps indicate a female. Size doesn’t matter at all.

03/20/07  10:18pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Reptilezilla1616   In reference to Message Id: 1216231

Bad information. All females and juveniles do NOT have white stripes. Mature males have a hemipenile bulge. Both mature males and immature males have a pair of enlarged postanal scales. Females have no bulge of any kind. Dewlap size is variable between the sexes and some males have small dewlaps and some females have flamboyant dewlaps.

03/20/07  10:49pm

Reptilezilla1616
View Profile

The only wat to really tell is that on their belly side, look under their flap (private) and their will be two big scales if it is male, regular scales if it is female. I have a male who has a white stripe bigger than one of my females, so the stripe test isn’t accurate, and the dewlap, all males and females have dewlaps, and as far as size, well, it’s as accurate as saying all male humans are bigger than female humans. It doesn’t matter what size they are! I have one male full grown, and is half the size of one of my females!!!

04/13/07  12:12pm

Slayer-XXX
View Profile

Best way to tell is the dewlap.

Huge dewlap=male
Tiny dewlap=female

04/25/07  09:00am

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Slayer-XXX   In reference to Message Id: 1258958

Not true. Check for a pair of emlarged post anal scales and/or a hemipenile bulge. Males have them, females don’t.

04/25/07  12:18pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Slayer-XXX   In reference to Message Id: 1258958

Not true. Check for a pair of enlarged post anal scales and/or a hemipenile bulge. Males have them, females don’t.

04/25/07  12:19pm

Slayer-XXX
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 1259120

k thanks

04/25/07  03:32pm

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area