Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoles Forum

Torch   Atrax27407   Slygecko   Torch   Slygecko   Abcat1993   Atrax27407   Torch   Umop_apisdn   Atrax27407   Cornsnakelover  
 Member  Message

Torch
View Profile

(New?) hybrid cricket species

Well what started out as a simple experiment to raise better feeder insects has dramatically morphed, how add 3 male grasshoppers to a colony of 12 "feeder" crickets and the female after mating laying eggs which hatched into a cricket/grasshopper cross. These hybrids which I am calling Grakets for the time being until I can find a better name are a little larger than your average adult cricket, they have the grasshopper abdomen and legs, are without wings, the downfall they seem to be a tad aggressive actually chasing people when they manage to escape. Anybody have any of these little critters or am I the only one? Iíll post pictures later.

01/11/07  12:19pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 1129037

You should have posted this message on April Fools Day.

01/11/07  01:26pm

Slygecko
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 1129037

Hahaha... grakets. Thats funny. Got any pictures?

~ Nick

01/11/07  02:07pm

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 1129080

You know just because I am 17 does not mean I am like all teenagers, it annoys me that instead of giving a person the benefit of the doubt people, not all, automatically think itís a joke, well this "teenager" is serious, instead of belittling people and think all their discoveries are a joke maybe you should talk to them or wait until proof is posted, check back next week on wed. or friday the pictures will be here. Oh and the person that posted this "joke" has contacted an insect scientist of mating evolution at the University of Arizona.

01/12/07  01:33pm

Slygecko
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 1130308

Hey man, it has nothing to do with your age. I didnít know it until you told me. It has to do with the fact that Iím a skeptic. I donít believe rather outlandish claims until I see proof. I gladly look forward to those pictures. Also, Iíd love to hear the response of the entomologist (whats his name, by the way?). If you prove this claim, that would be wicked awesome. If you canít, well, I just canít believe you. Itís nothing personal.

Cheers,
Nick

01/12/07  01:51pm

Abcat1993
View Profile

Message To: Slygecko   In reference to Message Id: 1130321

Iím pretty sure thatís genetically impossible

01/12/07  05:30pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Abcat1993   In reference to Message Id: 1130549

Grasshoppers and Crickets have several things in common. They are members of the same insect Order (Orthoptera), they can both make sounds, they both can jump, and they have fewer than five segments in their tarsi. That is as far as it goes. Crickets are members of the family Gryllidae, Grasshoppers (depending on the species) either Locustidae or Tettidoniidae. Getting them to interbreed would be like crossing a horse with a cow. Even their genitalia are incompatible to such a degree to make sperm transfer impossible. That doesnít take into account the difference in number and sequence of genes within each chromosome.
My preliminary conversations with the NC State University Entomology Department indicate that interbreeding is an impossibility. I suspect it is a misidentification of a known species of cricket that infiltrated the original colony at the sellerís location which is not an uncommon event. Iíll be looking forward to any pictures that appear.

01/12/07  06:29pm

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 1130646

well it is not the best, but it is the best I can do until I get a better digital camera,

the color is the same as the house cricket, but itís abdomen and hindlegs are that of a grasshoppers... so is this a misidentified species or not because I looked in an insect encyclpedia and I could not find it in there, but my resources are limited, so what do I have?

01/20/07  11:20am

Umop_apisdn
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 1140382

what you have is neither a hybrid or a new species. it is commonly referred to as a cave cricket or camel cricket. and yes, your claims are quite outlandish. the cricket actually comes after people? sorry, but you make me laugh. people find these crickets all of the time in their houses, and i have even found them many places outdoors under cover while field herping.
http://www.ento.vt.edu/Facilities/OnCampus/IDLab/idfactsheets/camel.html

^^atrax...do you go to ncsu? i graduated a couple years ago from nc state with a zoology degree, knowing a couple people who studied entomology as well. nice to see someone else from state, if thats the case.

01/20/07  01:42pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Umop_apisdn   In reference to Message Id: 1140566

Camel crickets -- Family Rhaphidophoridae -- Genus Ceuthophilus. They are very widespread and common. They are found in crawlspaces under houses and frequently invade the house when the weather turns cooler. We have invasions of them every fall. The drawback is that they are largely nocturnal and are active when Anoles arenít. The result is that they are not a particularly good prey item for Anoles. Anoles will eat them if they find them out during daylight hours.

01/20/07  02:30pm

Cornsnakelover
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 1140623

Iíve seen those all over my house.

01/22/07  04:08pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area