Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoles Forum

Aloc99   Atrax27407   Tylervas   Coolguy132435   Lizardhelper222   AnoleFriend101  
 Member  Message

Aloc99
View Profile

HOW DO I NO IF MY ANOLE IS....

how do i know if my anole is a male or female, plz help me???

01/17/09  02:43pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Aloc99   In reference to Message Id: 1933980

The answer is in the post just below.

Male or Female - Some Anoles (A. sagrei) are dimorphic. That is, the female is a different pattern than the male. Cuban Brown Anole females (A. sagrei) have a diamond shaped pattern from the back of their neck to their tail. Males don’t – their pattern is random. Green Anoles (A. carolinensis) of both sexes look the same. Juvenile and mature males have a pair of enlarged postanal scales (just past the vent) that can be seen with slight magnification. Mature males have a hemipenile bulge at the base of the tail. So, if it has either or both, it is a male. Otherwise, it is a female. Dewlaps, white lines, head shape, etc. are not reliably accurate. This is particularly true in immature specimens.
Male Anoles of all species are highly territorial. If you give them enough space to be comfortable, they will try to establish their own territory. They will fight with any other male who appears – sometimes to the death! Only place one male per enclosure unless the enclosure is the size of one of the rooms in your house.
Female Anoles are a bit more sedate. They will have some brief skirmishes and squabbles to establish and maintain a “pecking order” but are nowhere near as violent as the males’ encounters.

01/17/09  02:53pm

Tylervas
View Profile

Message To: Aloc99   In reference to Message Id: 1933980

A male anole is bigger than a female.A female has a shorter nose than a male.A male has a red bubble under its head its like its body language.

01/20/09  08:59am

Coolguy132435
View Profile

Message To: Tylervas   In reference to Message Id: 1935629

those methods are unreliable, the correct way of telling males from females are described in the post above. All anoles have a red dewlap under their neck regardless of gender

01/20/09  11:00am

Lizardhelper222
View Profile

Message To: Coolguy132435   In reference to Message Id: 1935669

actually males have a bigger dewlap flap than a female. if you annoy your anole you can tell because if it opens its mouth and it makes its dewlap flap stretch out about an inch long its a male.if the dewlap flap is somwhat near a cenimeter long it is most likely a female.

07/22/09  02:10pm

AnoleFriend101
View Profile

Message To: Lizardhelper222   In reference to Message Id: 2043376

Please stop bumping up the old posts. This one is from six months ago, and your information is incorrect. The correct information was already posted here by Atrax.

07/22/09  04:13pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area