Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoles Forum

The Green Monkey   Atrax27407   The Green Monkey   Atrax27407   The Green Monkey   Atrax27407   The Green Monkey   The Green Monkey   Atrax27407   The Green Monkey   The Green Monkey   Atrax27407   The Green Monkey  
 Member  Message

The Green Monkey
View Profile

Tips for getting anoles out of the house?

I live in Miami where it has been unseasonably cold for a couple of weeks including a few recent nights with temperatures below freezing.

The cold snap more or less ended today, but over the past few days I’ve spotted one or two brown anoles, a bark anole, and one or two house geckos inside of our house. I’m not exactly sure how they got inside, and I don’t mind providing shelter for them when it’s too cold out, but now that temperatures have returned to normal I think it’s probably best for them to go back outdoors where they have a food source and access to water.

I don’t know how much I can count on them to find their way back outside--especially if they’ve managed to stray far from their point of entry. I’ve discovered enough dessicated reptile corpses under and behind furniture through the years to know that it isn’t a sure thing.

Crawling around on my hands and knees on the tile floors, trying to move bookshelves, lifting chairs and couches, etc., all while trying to catch a lizard isn’t an easy task, so I was wondering if there’s any sort of easy way I could draw them out into the open to be caught and released.

I’ve got two greyhounds, so I can’t just leave the doors open for an afternoon.

Thanks!

01/15/10  02:12am

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: The Green Monkey   In reference to Message Id: 2113796

You could try one of two things:

1) Provide a lighted/heated area that you can get to easily should they appear.

2) Provide a food source (confined in a container) in a likewise accessible area

Anoles are easily caught by noosing using 2-6lb test monofiliment fishing line attached to a 6’ stick or fishing pole.

01/15/10  09:58am

The Green Monkey
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 2113850

I had to stop by Petco today to pick up some dog food and I poked around in the reptile section. Pretty sparse selection. There was one heating rock that looked like a fire hazard and a bunch of expensive lamps of all kinds. Their selection of live food (I figured a few mealworms writhing around might draw them out) consisted of dead mealworms packed in sawdust. I saw one container that had a "packaged on" date from July, and the newest I could find was from November.

I’ve got a little desk lamp that actually gets fairly warm, so would it be a worthwhile idea to just set it on the floor and hope to draw them out that way? Would it be a good idea or a bad idea if I were to set the lamp next to a slightly ajar sliding glass door? I don’t want any new freeloaders wandering in. It’s 78* outside right now but will get down to 66* tonight, and it’s about 72 in my house according to my thermostat, though I suspect the temperature varies quite a bit depending on nooks, crannies, position relative to doors, vents, appliances, etc.

Would an electric heating pad be a useful heat source or might that get too hot?

Thanks!

01/15/10  01:52pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: The Green Monkey   In reference to Message Id: 2113920

The desk lamp would be the best option. Set up a basking area (off the floor) under it. Since they are arboreal, heat from above should be an attractant.

01/15/10  02:44pm

The Green Monkey
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 2113937

How do I construct a basking area using common household items?

I have no reptile ownership experience (other than my freeloading houseguests, of course...)

Thanks again!

01/15/10  03:42pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: The Green Monkey   In reference to Message Id: 2113959

Anything that they can lay on to bask (a piece of wood propped up on books).

01/15/10  05:10pm

The Green Monkey
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 2113990

Right on!

Will they be more likely to emerge from their hiding places if the rest of the house is darker than usual?

If I were to erect a basking area and leave a sliding glass door cracked open nearby, might they be drawn to the basking area but then decide to wander back outside? Or do you think that might attract more into the house? It will be warmer in my house tonight but tomorrow it should be warmer outside if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for all your help. I might be mistaken (and I can’t seem to figure out a way to thoroughly search) but I’m pretty sure you were the one that helped me out on this forum with instructions for tending to a wounded bark anole a few years ago.

01/15/10  06:23pm

The Green Monkey
View Profile

Message To: The Green Monkey   In reference to Message Id: 2114020

Would a large cutting board be a good surface to use?

01/15/10  06:24pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: The Green Monkey   In reference to Message Id: 2114021

A large cutting board would work. You would probably have better luck in the evening when the house is darker.

01/16/10  09:05am

The Green Monkey
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 2114167

Haven’t noticed anyone since starting this thread, so I’m guessing that they’ve probably found their way out on their own (or they’ve started the process of becoming a very small piece of jerky behind a heavy bookcase...).

I’ll leave the basking area up for another day just to be safe though.

Thanks again!

01/17/10  01:19pm

The Green Monkey
View Profile

Message To: The Green Monkey   In reference to Message Id: 2114505

Well, I decommissioned the basking area. I still haven’t seen anybody inside since starting this thread, so I guess that everyone that’s going to find their way back outside has likely already done so.

While I’ve got an expert on the line, is there anything that I can do to help the various lizards who live around me the next time a prolonged cold snap comes along?

I threw a few towels into the drier for an hour or so and then put them out on my front patio in rumpled balls so that they’d allow for shelter from the cold and wind, and on the coldest night of all I fired up the charcoal grill so that it was throwing out heat all night, but I have no idea if those things helped in any way.

I saw a few bark anoles seemingly dead on the sidewalk and moved them into the grass for safety in case they were hibernating, and I picked up a very, very slow moving brown anole, held him in my hands for 5 or 10 minutes and breathed on him a bit to warm him up. In hindsight, I’m worrying if perhaps I didn’t do him any favors by confusing his body’s perception of temperature and if perhaps I goofed up his natural defenses to the cold. I didn’t think of it in those terms at the time--I simply wanted to help him out and went with my gut...

Thanks once again!

01/18/10  01:50pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: The Green Monkey   In reference to Message Id: 2114842

Anoles (of all species) in the Miami Area have very poor cold tolerance. This may very well be a delimiting factor in their northward invasion. Green Anoles in the northern part of their range have a relatively high tolerance to cold and even come out to bask when the ambient air temperature is below freezing. Green Anoles, at least, do not hibernate even in the top end of their range. I doubt that the other species do either.
Should you have another cold snap, the best course of action would be to set up an outside basking area (or several). They should be drawn to the heat. You could use a 100-watt light bulb, for example.
FYI, there was a rather obscure news item that showed some "chilled" Iguanas falling out of the trees in Miami when they got too cold to maintain their grip. They eventually wandered off.

01/18/10  03:00pm

The Green Monkey
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 2114873

Right on!

Thanks once again for all of your assistance!

01/18/10  03:24pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area