Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

AnoleLover233   Chameleon_man   Lizardliz   Atrax27407   Chameleon_man   Atrax27407   Lizardliz  

Member  Message

AnoleLover233
View Profile

How do you tell the diffrence between a male and a female anole

I have Three anoles and am having trouble determinig that one is either a guy or a gal. Please help me!!

02/02/12  09:08pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: AnoleLover233   In reference to Message Id: 2253759

I have always been told take the anole and SOFTLY!!!!! grab skin under chin if you can pull it out then its a male :-) it will most likely be red.

02/03/12  12:25am

Lizardliz
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2253786

I am having difficulty with this too. Apparently girls can have a dewlap too. They boys will have a longer head, and a lager brighter dewlap. Most females will retain a white to greyish mid dorsal line down their back. The sex organ is only noticeable in older males, which is visible at the base of their tails. I think I have all boys. I bought a book on Green Anoles, and this info is from the book. Now I question what exactly I have, and will I have eggs?

02/03/12  08:14am

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Lizardliz   In reference to Message Id: 2253806

Please read my caresheet. There are pictures. You need to check for enlarged postanal scales. Males have them, females don’t.

02/03/12  09:21am

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 2253808

see and sometime my meathods works and sometimes it does not just becuase of femalse having them but just like you said male will have a bigger throat things ( forgot name and cant think of it right now. lol )

02/03/12  11:19am

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2253812

Dewlap size is not a reliable method of sexing. Some males have small dewlaps and some females have relatively large ones. Enlarged postanal scales are present even in male embryos and can be considered a positive and unequivocal method of sexing. The only variable is a mistake by the person examining the Anole.

02/03/12  11:55am

Lizardliz
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 2253816

So much to sort through to figure it out LOL. I took a good look at my guys yesterday after positing. My Jimmy was up against the glass, and yup, he is a male. After he arrived he also grew a bone like flap on the back of his head. When he puffs up, it get’s bigger, like a crown, hence the new name King Jimmy. I believe Jonner is a boy, he has a longer head and extra skin under his throat. Unfortunately, J.J seems to be a girl. That means two boys and one girl in the tank. Is that not a big No No for these guys? They have been living together okay, just some chasing now and then. Stripes I believe is a girl too. She has a predominant white line down her back, and is much smaller in stature ( despite not eating for a month). I will read the care sheet as suggested.

02/04/12  10:06am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area