Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Schreechies   Rexxaroo   Schreechies   Rexxaroo   Schreechies   Rexxaroo   Atrax27407   Schreechies   Schreechies   Schreechies   Schreechies   Schreechies   Rexxaroo   Schreechies   Rexxaroo   Schreechies   Schreechies   Rexxaroo  

Member  Message

Schreechies
View Profile

Pregnant anoles?!?

I think I have 2 pregnant anoles.
I have one female green anole who used to b in with a male green anole. I temporarily released her, but I marked her, and caught her again, while she still surprisingly had her mark. She is now fatter than half an inch, and is getting fatter and fatter a day. She only gets (and this goes for my others too) 2 crickets, and 1 mealworm.
My Bahaman anole is a female. I got rid of that male green anole, and I still have a male Bahaman Anole. He lost his tail, due to that other male, but is now growing back really well. He constantly is doing his "head bobbing" along with showin off his dewlap. I think he mated with her, but I’ve never seen them mate. She is really fat, and is getting fatter. She is almost fatter than half an inch.
How do I tell if they’re Gravid or Pregnant?
I currently have the substrate as reprobate, however, I’m getting repticarpet this weekend. If they r pregnant or gravid, how do I encourage them to lay eggs? Do I put in a dish of soil?
Thanks!!!

04/25/13  08:07pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Schreechies   In reference to Message Id: 2296301

Pregnant anoles?!?

Oh dear. So you have green anoles, bahaman anoles, and a grass lizard in one tank?
You poor dear. Okay. Well, we will talk separation later.
To encourage them to lay eggs, it is recommended that you separate
the females from the normal enclosure and put them in an enclosure with a small tupperware container that contains a vermiculite and soil mixture. about 1/3 vermiculite and 2/3 soil. Keep it damp, but not wet.
Put it in an area in the enclosure where she can easily get to it, but where it is also concealed so she feels secure.

If you release a pregnant anole, or any anole for that matter, that has been in captivity you are literally signing its death certificate. There are very many issues that you have caused to your female by doing this.
I am not sure how old you are , but it seems you have alot to learn dear. I am doing my best to help you out because i feel for you and your animals, but i dont think you know what you have got into.

On another note, green anoles, bahaman anoles, and grass lizards should not be housed together. Mixing species is the number one rule you should not break when keeping herps.
Not to mention you put the anole you re captured back with your current anoles without quarantining her. Why did you release her in the first place if i may ask?
Again, i do not want to seem harsh or rude, i am just trying to help you and understand the reasoning behind your actions. I do not want you to intentionally or unintentionally cause your animals harm.

I believe you should contact Atrax, he is a very well respected member here that can help you greatly with Anole care, he has been keeping them for a very long time and knows them very well. i dont mean to be blunt, but you could use the help.
Please take our advice to heart, as this is a reptile help forum after all, and we are crying upon deaf ears if the info given isnt used.

Good luck.

Rexx

04/25/13  08:23pm

Schreechies
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2296302

Pregnant anoles?!?

I released my anole because she was still very very wild, and I wanted to have more room before I got my 20 gallon tank. And YES, I quarantine my lizards, ANY NEW ARRIVALS before putting them in.
Can I put a thing of vermiculite and soil in the same enclosure? I’ve got a nice spot.
Where can I buy vermiculite? How do I know when she’s laid the eggs, and which eggs r bahaman, and which are green anole?
Thanks so much 4 your help, I appreciate it a lot. And yes, I know what I’ve gotten my self into, and I’m still learning about them as I get older and older, And my parents are too. I give them the best possible care, In fact, I found 2 lizards and literally rescued their lives.
1. I rescued Trisicle (I spell her name wrong on purpose) between the wall and the grill, she was stuck and she was very amaciated. She ended up loosing one leg, but she is happy and can climb all over the terrarium.
2. I rescued lucky, she has no foot and is only 4 weeks old. She was in a bowl that we left outside on accident drowning, from the storm the previous night. She was also placed in quarantine, along with Trisicle Andy long tailed lizard

04/26/13  09:43am

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Schreechies   In reference to Message Id: 2296325

Pregnant anoles?!?

You can place the thing in the same enclosure but i plead that you still get a bigger tank and seperate all the different species. Anole eggs look the same so you wont be able to tell, hence why you should seperate them. I applaud you for trying to help animals, but you really shouldnt release and re catch a lizard.
I would do this:
put the bahamans in a 30 gallon, since i believe you have three of them.
put the greens in a 30 gallon as well and purchase another green female as you cannot house just one male and one female, he will over breed her.
get another 20 gallon and put your grass lizard in there.

that would be proper, healthy set ups for your animals. I understand you are learning, but we want to help you, and want you to learn the proper way to care for them so that if you get asked for help, you can also give out proper info instead of misinforming people.

Good luck..

Rexx

04/26/13  09:49am

Schreechies
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2296326

Pregnant anoles?!?

First of all, I have 2 bahaman anoles, 1 female and one male
2nd: I have 3 green anoles. I got rid of the male green anole as explained earlier

04/26/13  01:03pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Schreechies   In reference to Message Id: 2296332

Pregnant anoles?!?

I am sorry, i was confused as to how many lizards you have as it seems to change with every post. I am not trying to argue, i just want you to get the main point : proper husbandry is detrimental to reptile care.

Rexx

04/26/13  08:04pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2296349

Pregnant anoles?!?

You can tell the eggs of the two species apart. Here is a picture:

04/27/13  08:13am

Schreechies
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 2296366

Pregnant anoles?!?

Thx! Ok so I have the 2 anoles that I think are pregnant in (pic)
Can only one b in there at a time, or can they both be in there to lay eggs?
THEY R IN THE PLASTIC CONTAINER WITH THE THERMOMETER AND THE PLASTIC WRAP WITH AIR HOLES IN THE TERRARIUM

Sorry it’s blurry

04/27/13  05:42pm

Schreechies
View Profile

Pregnant anoles?!?

I’ve got them in this plastic tub thing. Both the green anole and the bahaman anole female r in there. Pic:

Sorry it’s blurry. Do they need to be separated, as in one female per egg laying box? Or can they both be in there to lay eggs?

04/27/13  05:44pm

Schreechies
View Profile

Pregnant anoles?!?

Why aren’t my messages showing up!!!!

04/27/13  05:44pm

Schreechies
View Profile

Message To: Schreechies   In reference to Message Id: 2296388

Pregnant anoles?!?

Ok I got it to show up, sorry for double post.
Atrax, thank you for the picture.
So can u answer my question in the post with the pic that I posted!

04/27/13  05:45pm

Schreechies
View Profile

Message To: Schreechies   In reference to Message Id: 2296389

Pregnant anoles?!?

Ok, I have to post this again, sorry.

How do I kno when she’s laid her eggs, and do I need to make it to where se can’t get out of the egg laying thing, or leave it to where she can get out?

04/28/13  02:35pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Schreechies   In reference to Message Id: 2296439

Pregnant anoles?!?

I would get a top to that container and cut a hole out so that they can climb in and out, and i would not keep them cooped in that tiny plastic container, it will just stress them even more into not laying eggs.

Rexx

04/28/13  07:23pm

Schreechies
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2296464

Pregnant anoles?!?

Thanks!! You’re such a big help!!

04/28/13  07:46pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Schreechies   In reference to Message Id: 2296472

Pregnant anoles?!?

You’re welcome! just want the best for your animals. I would still suggest separating all the different species or releasing the ones you cannot house.
Good luck.

Rexx

04/28/13  08:55pm

Schreechies
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2296478

Pregnant anoles?!?

Hi Rexx
I just got a small 5 pound bag of green Repti calcium sand. I’m putting it in the egg Laying box so they can burrow and lay the eggs. I’ve got 3!questions:
1. Will she and other females lay in there if one has already laid an egg in there?
2. What is the humidity and heat target range to incubate the eggs?
3. How do I know when my female (s?) have laid eggs?
THANK U AND THANK U 4 YOUR HELP!!! I’LL TRY TO POST PICS OF EGG LAYING OR HATCHLINGS!!!
Screechies

05/03/13  11:17pm

Schreechies
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2296478

Pregnant anoles?!?

Did my message show up?

05/03/13  11:18pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Schreechies   In reference to Message Id: 2296787

Pregnant anoles?!?

The message showed up, but oh geez, really?
Reptile calcium sand?
Have you read care sheets on here dear?
That stuff is ungodly awful and is the number one killer of lizards. Sand of any kind is terrible for anoles and most species any how. They will not benefit from it in any way, no matter what the packaging says or what the people at the pet stores told you. It turns to kitty litter in their stomach basically, clogs the intestines, and kills them via impaction and intestinal blockage. Very bad, very nasty, get rid of it.

Here is my advice:

-Get rid of that sand ASAP and use topsoil and vermiculite for base instead.
-SEPARATE your SPECIES.
-You will be able to tell once she is not as gravid looking, and verify there are eggs in the soil.
-She will most likely not lay eggs when the other female is in there with her, it will stress her out, they may fight, etc. etc. There are a lot of factors there.
-Proper humidity and heat are : 82-85 F, checked weekly to assure the substrate remains damp and that none of the eggs has molded. Provide gentle, not direct heat, to keep the container at 84-86 F
eggs should hatch in 35-40 days. Humidity should be the same levels as your normal viv.

Please read this care sheet, it will greatly increase your chances of your animals living healthily.
http://www.anapsid.org/anole.html

Good luck..

Rexx

05/03/13  11:45pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area