Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Themotherofgeckos   AmbuBadger   Themotherofgeckos   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   Themotherofgeckos   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Themotherofgeckos
View Profile

My green anole is scared of me

I have had my green anole for about 4 or 5 months and she is still scared. It is a struggle to take her out of her cage for food, it takes me about 5 minutes just to get her out, and after I get her out it all her decorations are out from trying to get her. Yesterday while I was getting her she jumped out of my hand and I lost her, I couldn’t find her for 1 hour. Do you know how to make her trust me?

P.S. It’s not like I have done anything abusive (I know animals are really scared if you have abused them)

09/15/17  04:24pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Themotherofgeckos   In reference to Message Id: 2321273

Start by establishing a routine: talk to her often so she gets used to your voice, then let her see you with the food container so she associates you with her meals. How are you feeding her? You might have to take a few steps back and start slow, putting her food in a dish and removing it after she’s finished. You can also start doing things near her cage, like reading books or browsing online, so she gets used to seeing you more and more. Give us details on her housing setup too, she may not feel safe because of a lack of hiding spots.

09/15/17  07:02pm

Themotherofgeckos
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321275

How i like to feed her is I put her in a box with meal worms and watch her because she is just too skitish for me to trust her out of the box. I don’ t leave her in the box all day (that’s abusive), I leave her to eat by herself in there for about 5 minutes. And then after that five minutes I make the meal worm near her and wait for her to eat it. I let her eat in a box that is about 20 gallons. Her terrarium is and exo terra mini (it really isn’t that mini) it is about 20 gallons and it is vertical not horizontal. She has a big log that is vertical too. She is able to sand on it she also has a good amount of fake plants

09/15/17  08:51pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Themotherofgeckos   In reference to Message Id: 2321276

Okay, maybe start feeding her inside her enclosure then. She will be a little more comfortable because she will learn to expect food there, and you could put the mealworms in a dish that’s specifically for her. Also, if you can’t vary her diet by providing other food items or dusting vitamin powder on the worms, at least make sure to feed carrots and other vitamin-rich foods to the worms so they will pass it on to her. Captive anoles are very susceptible to illness from a lack of vitamin A.

09/16/17  02:35am

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321277

My anole is scared of me too, the same happened to me, it takes me 5 minutes to get him out of the cage. He also never eats the vitamin powder when I put it on things. I’ve never actually picked him up, I just pet his tail.

09/16/17  05:50am

Themotherofgeckos
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321279

I know right last night I took my anole, clover out to try to feed her but she jumped out of my hands and was under my bed really quickly so I had to try to catch her, I finally got her but it took like 15 minutes. But yes AmbuBadger I will try to feed her in her cage. Thank you for the advice

09/16/17  07:18am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Themotherofgeckos   In reference to Message Id: 2321280

Good luck! I hope Clover responds well. She probably just needs to get comfy with this environment, and taking her out to feed breaks that feeling of security and being safe in her home.

09/16/17  11:02am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area