Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bill McNuggets   AmbuBadger   Bill McNuggets   AmbuBadger   Bill McNuggets   AmbuBadger   Bill McNuggets   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Can you remove parasites from an anole?

So a few weeks ago I noticed poop as "smeared on my anole vent area, at first I just thought he accidently walked through some and I cleaned it of but after a few weeks in noticed this became a regular occurrence so I looked it up and read it could be a parasite as he is rather skinny and doesn’t move as fast as his cage mate brown anole. so is there any way to remove a parasite if even has one?

Thanks in advance!

McNuggets.

09/22/17  02:51pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321299

The first thing to do is to isolate your sick anole so he doesn’t pass anything along to the healthy one. Second, give the tank a thorough cleaning, and pay attention for anything in poop you clean to check for anything that shouldn’t be there. You may or may not see something, but it’s worth a check. Third, keep the isolation tank clean and line it with a paper towel to catch the sock anole’s poop. Examine it to see if it looks normal.

Vets check for parasites by looking at the poop under a microscope. If they see anything, they’ll prescribe a treatment of oral meds to kill the parasite. You may not be able to afford a vet visit, but if you look online, you may be able to find pics of slides showing what a herp vet looks for, assuming you have access to a microscope.

Finally, anoles rely on their immune system to keep things in check-- and they need a proper environment to do this. Make sure the basking area is nice and warm, and if your sick anole is dehydrated, you can give him daily soaks in warm water to allow him to pull some of the moisture into his body. Just be sure not to submerge him past his shoulders, water in his ear canal can lead to infection.

09/23/17  09:30am

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321303

So just to clarify, the poop that comes out of my 7$ anole can be examined by a vet?
I Knew that they have vets for exotic dragons and snake but do they really help these tiny anoles? I never knew that...

Thanks!

09/23/17  01:57pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321304

In short, yes-- they’ll do a wet mount, meaning they have water added to it on the slide and examine it through the microscope. Any decent herp vet should be able to do this-- it’s the complicated procedures, like surgery, that are nearly impossible to do for an anole. Good luck and we wish him well!

09/23/17  06:30pm

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321307

I’m sorry but noodles passed away this morning...

09/24/17  04:50am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321308

I’m so sorry to hear about Noodle! I was hoping to hear that the symptoms resolved and Noodle started pulling through & gaining back weight... how’s the another anole? Is he showing any signs of illness?

09/24/17  08:12am

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321309

The other lizard so far is doing great, she is pregnant from noodles and I am hoping that there children will get to live a long happy life and maybe even start a family of there own!
you’ve helped me out a lot Ambubadger.

09/24/17  12:05pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321311

I wish you and her all the best! I’m glad to help... I know it’s hard to find a herp vet, I live in Hawaii and most reptiles aren’t allowed as pets here (snakes, many lizards, etc.), so I’m pretty much on my own when one of my "kids" fall ill. Keep us posted on how Noodle’s partner is doing!

09/24/17  09:17pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area