Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoles Forum

Lacey   HerpKeeper   Lacey   HerpKeeper   Lacey   LizzieLizardcatcher   HerpKeeper   LizzieLizardcatcher   LizzieLizardcatcher   HerpKeeper   LizzieLizardcatcher   Atrax27407   HerpKeeper   LizzieLizardcatcher   HerpKeeper   Atrax27407   Zandolit   HerpKeeper  
 Member  Message

Lacey
View Profile

Pictures of Pregnant Anoles?

i need to see if my anole is pregnant. can anyone please post some pictures. O and is there any acts that the pregnant anole does when she is pregnant? shantellacey@neo.rr.com

04/01/05  04:13pm

HerpKeeper
View Profile

Message To: Lacey   In reference to Message Id: 294045

If your anole are only 3" then they is no way one can be pregnant. Stunted growth means that even though they are over a year in age they still aren’t sexually mature. Here’s a pic anyways.

04/01/05  07:42pm

Lacey
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 294230

o ok......your anole is beautiful!!!! how long is she pregnant in that picture?

04/01/05  07:53pm

HerpKeeper
View Profile

Message To: Lacey   In reference to Message Id: 294249

Thanks! It’s hard to tell how long since I didn’t get to see the mating but this was probably around 3 weeks. About 2 weeks after that picture she started laying eggs.

04/02/05  12:03pm

Lacey
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 294904

o I forgot to tell you that i don’t think my anole is a Green anole....i think it is the kind that is smaller than them....i forget what they are called though.I will post a picture of him and her when I fix my camera.

04/02/05  01:49pm

LizzieLizardcatcher
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 294230

Hey I need to know something, my green anole Treela is gravid. This morning I found her stressed out. On the other days that she was pregnant she was green and active. But today I found her lazy and brown. Is she going to lay her eggs soon?

04/06/05  06:59pm

HerpKeeper
View Profile

Message To: LizzieLizardcatcher   In reference to Message Id: 300250

She shouldn’t turn brown until right before laying eggs. If she’s still housed with other anoles they may be stressing her out and keeping her from laying them. It’s best if she can be by herself otherwise she’ll retain the eggs for longer than necessary. You may also want to start checking the tank because they can hide eggs rather well. It wasn’t until mine laid the 3rd egg that I noticed that she had been laying them finally. I hope you already have an incubator ready!

04/06/05  07:27pm

LizzieLizardcatcher
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 300307

She is the only lizard I got. How she got pregnant, my cousin came over for a visit with her female and male anole. I put Treela in there until she went home so her male Cheeko must of pregnanted her.

04/07/05  01:03am

LizzieLizardcatcher
View Profile

Message To: LizzieLizardcatcher   In reference to Message Id: 300742

Sorry no eggs. I checked the cage. What does this mean? Today around 12:30 I found her green and around the soil. Is that a good sighn? I checked the tank around 1:00A.M. Will she have her eggs the minute I wake up?

04/07/05  01:34am

HerpKeeper
View Profile

Message To: LizzieLizardcatcher   In reference to Message Id: 300772

It’s really hard to say when exactly she’ll lay her eggs. Usually mine laid her eggs 5 hours before the lights would go out. Then again every anole is different and there is no real way to tell. Since she’s spending some time near the soil then it is likely that it will be soon but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be today. I hope you are looking in the soil because the eggs will be covered with it. Hopefully it’ll look more loose than usual so you won’t have to tread though it with your fingers too much.

04/07/05  06:18pm

LizzieLizardcatcher
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 301585

Thanks but I pratcily distroyed the bedding in that cage looking for the eggs. Anyway I got a 10 gallon so would she feel more confedent about laying eggs in a bigger cage or should I get fake plants?
One more question would the anoles try and eat the fake plants if they don’t know their fake?

04/11/05  04:39pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: LizzieLizardcatcher   In reference to Message Id: 306221

Anoles are insectivorious and will not try to eat plants in the enclosure whether they are real or artificial.

04/11/05  07:06pm

HerpKeeper
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 306395

?Is the 10gal the larger tank? If the female is by herself in the 10gal then it is big enough for her. As long as the temps are good and that there is a few good spots to lay that are around 80F everything will be perfect. To anoles there isn’t a difference between real or fake plants. What kind of bedding are you using?

04/11/05  08:03pm

LizzieLizardcatcher
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 306494

I use Lizard Litter Plus. On the back it said Anole’s love it. And I think its true before my anole always brown but now she’s green. Anyway I’m getting a 20 gallon tank with my easter money. And yes the 10 gallon is the larger tank.

04/11/05  09:03pm

HerpKeeper
View Profile

Message To: LizzieLizardcatcher   In reference to Message Id: 306592

I really hope you aren’t keeping her in anything smaller than 10 gallons. I don’t know what Lizard Litter Plus is or what it’s made of. Does the packaging say what it is comprised of? I’ve never heard of anoles being brown because of the substrate but I don’t know what you were using before. Are you prepared to hatch the eggs?

04/12/05  11:44pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 308126

I found this description of Lizard Litter Plus. It is made by ESU. Here it is:
" 8 dry quarts. Ultra-absorbent ground cover with real eucalyptus and white fir chips is ultra-absorbent. All-natural bedding is ideal for all lizards, snakes, turtles, tortoises, and arachnids. Specially sized for reptiles. Suitable for composting."
It still doesn’t tell a whole lot about it. I’m not sure if the Eucalyptus oils in the product would be good for Anoles, though. I would have to see some of it to determine if the material size is appropriate.

04/13/05  08:12am

Zandolit
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 308331

I am SRONGLY against the use of this product. Of course they’re going to say "anoles love it"..they’re trying to sell you something, make some money..they don’t care about your anole! Both the eucalyptus oil and the fir chips are not good for your anole. The size of this makes it extremely easy for them to ingest, which is going to cause huge problems, even though the bag says it’s safe if ingested...they also put on their calcium sand products that they too are safe for your reptile..but the calcium carbonate in it builds up in their stomachs causing severe impaction and usually death-so once again, they’re going to say anything to sell the product. It’s really important to do the research instead of just trusting what they put on the bag.
I’ve bought this crap when it first came out, and it was extremely dusty, which can cause respiratory tract infections in your reptiles. It’s also very easy for crickets to bury themselves in it, so either your anole won’t catch dinner, or it will, but also get a huge mouthful of wood chips!
And yes it is ultra absorbent..it dries out very fast, making it very hard to keep the humidity up.
The anole won’t go from brown to green because of the substrate, that would have been due to something else.
It’s obviously your choice to pick the substrate, I just wanted to warm you about it..it’s definitely not the best thing for your little dude.

04/14/05  02:13am

HerpKeeper
View Profile

Message To: Zandolit   In reference to Message Id: 309376

Bark is very bad for eggs too. I tried using some in my incubator and at first it dried out a few eggs before I started spraying it directly and it dyed 2 of the eggs red. I wouldn’t house anything with bark unless the animals are very small. Sterile soil is the best for egg laying while vermiculite is perfect for incubating.

04/15/05  12:17am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area