Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoles Forum

Torch   HerpKeeper   Atrax27407   Torch   HerpKeeper   Torch   HerpKeeper   Torch   HerpKeeper   Torch   Atrax27407   Torch   Torch   Torch   Torch   Torch   Torch   Torch   Torch   HerpKeeper   Torch   LizzieLizardcatcher   Torch   Torch   Torch   Torch   Atrax27407   Torch   Torch   Atrax27407  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Torch
View Profile

Pregnant Female Green Anole need an answer asap!

My female green anole Emerald mated 3 weeks ago she’s been mated before and produced good eggs and one beautiful baby out of a clutch of 13. I mated her with another male than last time and she is still skinny and not laying eggs, My uncle is out of the country right now so I can’t ask him but is there such a thing as a male anole 8+ inches, I don’t know the age as being a dud male in other words he can’t fertilize an egg or is there a problem with my female.

04/07/05  03:35pm

HerpKeeper
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 301357

Yes, males can reach 9" but that’s only mostly when they have a longer than usual tail. I don’t know if you are referring to the 8"+ as being a sterile male? I highly doubt that an anole would be sterile unless maybe he is near death. Mating late in the season could be a reason why the last eggs hatch.

I hope you fattened up your female before attempting to breed her. I don’t see how she could become very skinny after only 3 weeks. It usually takes twice as long than 3 weeks before females start laying eggs. My female ate for the most part until after she laid most of her eggs and then she stopped eating for awhile. Then ate some more and went back to not eating. If she ignores crickets try a flying prey and I’m sure she’ll go for it. Oh, and make sure she’s in a tank by herself.

I’m also very surprised that only 1 egg out of 13 was viable. So far every egg that I’ve incubated has hatched besides 3 that suffered from drying out. 1 other egg tried to hatch but the hatchling couldn’t make its way out of the egg. Only yellow eggs are infertile. I hope it’s not your incubator causing eggs not to hatch.

04/07/05  06:14pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 301574

As a note, male Anoles frequently get larger than 9" in captivity. I have one approaching 10" and another just barely under 9" (with about 1/4" of the end of his tail missing). There have been unconfirmed reports of large, wild males getting as large as 12". Of course, most of the length is the long tail.

04/07/05  08:36pm

Torch
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 301574

What I meant is she’s been staying skinny the entire time the last time she laid eggs after 2 weeks had gone by, I’ve boosted her calcium raised her to 3 crickets a day instead of the 2 she normally eats.
I had 3 babies hatch out of the 13 but 2 of them died within 4 hours.
My incubator is a 5 gallon tank with 2 inches of eco earth and a 5 gallon undertank heating mat, along with a glass jar of water in the corner with a 2-5 gallon aquarium heater in it.

04/08/05  07:59am

HerpKeeper
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 302296

Was she fat before mating? I don’t see what could cause her to be skinny unless she’s got a tapeworm or some other kid of parasite. If see was skinny during the mating then it’s going to take longer for her to produce eggs. As long as she keeps eating then everything should be fine.

What’s the temp of your incubator? I’ve found that my eggs are much more successfully able to hatch when the temp is around 85F. The one baby that I had that died while hatching was when I had turned the temp down to 81F. Does any light shine into the tank? For some reason when I tried using an incubator similar to yours I had very little success. I think the light helps to tell the hatchling that it is a good time to come out. Hatching at night would be a bad idea in the wild.

04/08/05  08:47pm

Torch
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 303120

HerpKeeper,
My female Emerald was skinny during mating as well, she is still eating voraciously; eating 4 crickets instead of her usual 2.
The incubator has a 40 watt uvb on it at all times and the temperature stays around 83 dropping a degree at night after I turn my other 2 tank light off for the night; My room door stays closed so the lights heat my room.

04/10/05  07:36pm

HerpKeeper
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 305362

Don’t take this the wrong way but it would have been a better idea to have fattened her up before attempting to breed her. You could have done this quickly by feeding her waxworms. Maybe since she is still eating you can try fattening her up now. If you don’t and she still manages to produce eggs it is likely that the process will end up killing her.

I was going to recommend using a small fluorescent with your incubator but I guess you already have one. I’m still perplexed as to why there have been so many bad eggs but maybe there is something else wrong. Was your female fattened up before the previous mating?

For instance with my current gravid female she laid a dud today. It seems that not only has she run out of stored semen but she’s also ran out of extra calcium. That’s not bad since she’s laid 10 eggs so far and she deserves a break. Hopefully the male won’t be too happy now that she’s back in the same tank with him and she’ll have some time to fatten up again. That is until I finish cleaning the tank that she was just in. I’ve been thinking of keeping my females seperated from the males because breeding does shorten their life span.

04/10/05  07:57pm

Torch
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 305386

They don’t sell waxworms around here and I don’t have a credit card; my parents won’t let me use theirs so I can’t order over the internet.
I do feed them mealworms( freshly shed) every 3 days though. Emerald (Emmy) was fattened up last time because I had only her and bought the male a couple of days after fattening her, Emmy now stays with Neon ( The male) all the time but for some reason only allows him to catch her once a month the other times he tries to mate her she puffs up and nips him on his nose and he backs away.

04/11/05  08:03am

HerpKeeper
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 305825

Where do you live? There may be something outside that will be just as fattening.

04/11/05  07:19pm

Torch
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 306419

Sodus it’s in New York. Outside their is mostly beetles, flies, horse flies, spiders, worms, cabbage butterflies, moths and centipedes.

04/12/05  07:55am

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 307101

Find some cabbage plants that have NOT been sprayed with insecticide (or grow some of your own). Look on the leaves for the larvae of the Cabbage Butterfly (Pieris rapae). They will usually be found near the mid-rib of the leaves and are green in color which makes them a bit difficult to see. Anoles love them (at least mine do). They are just as good for fattening up skinny Anoles as waxworms since the fat content is just about the same. They are easy to maintain as well. Once you have a couple days’ supply, put them in a container with a screen top and feed them cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, or similar leaves. They can be found on any member of the cabbage family. I get mine from my broccoli plants.

04/12/05  09:00am

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 307132

Ok I’ll do that, thanks.
My female is getting a little bigger but still looks kind of skinny she has 3 weeks to go yet.

04/12/05  12:41pm

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 307271

This picture does not do her justice I took it this morning before school around 5:30. I’ll put up another one after I get home.

04/12/05  12:44pm

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 307274

This is the male I mated her with.

04/12/05  12:45pm

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 307274

Here she is.

04/13/05  08:04am

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 308326

Here is a close up of her stomach; She is still kinda skinny for being pregnant according to me but maybe you think something else. She is still eating between 2-4 small crickets per day and is acting a little annoyed with the hanging plant; she snaps at it, is this normal?

src="http://www.repticzone.net/images/8702/Pic015.JPG">

This is her enclosure it’s a 20 gallon.

This is the side under the UVB light , the next one has an undertank heating pad. When it comes time to lay the eggs I’m going to move her to a different enclosure so she’s by herself.

04/13/05  12:58pm

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 308326

Here is a close up of her stomach; She is still kinda skinny for being pregnant according to me but maybe you think something else. She is still eating between 2-4 small crickets per day and is acting a little annoyed with the hanging plant; she snaps at it, is this normal?

src="http://www.repticzone.net/images/8702/Pic015.JPG">

This is her enclosure it’s a 20 gallon.

This is the side under the UVB light , the next one has an undertank heating pad. When it comes time to lay the eggs I’m going to move her to a different enclosure so she’s by herself.

04/13/05  12:58pm

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 308504

Sorry it cmae up 2x; Is the snapping at the plant normal for a pregnant anole, she never did this before when she was pregnant.

04/14/05  07:55am

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 309459

The picture of her stomach didn’t come up I’ll try again.

04/14/05  07:56am

HerpKeeper
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 309460

The pics are very fuzzy but so far your female doesn’t look too skinny.

04/15/05  12:14am

Torch
View Profile

Message To: HerpKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 310539

Yeah I know w I need a new camera.

04/15/05  07:52am

LizzieLizardcatcher
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 310727

Do u know how many months your anole was pregnant in that pic?

04/24/05  11:31am

Torch
View Profile

Message To: LizzieLizardcatcher   In reference to Message Id: 321045

In my picture it was only 3 weeks.

04/25/05  07:59am

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 322110

Emerald still hasn’t laid any eggs yet, 6 weeks will be up on wendsday and she is down to only eating 1 mealworm ( the guts only) a day, she won’t touch the crickets in her enclosure.

04/25/05  08:07am

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 322115

Today is the 6 week mark, Emmy still dosnít look large around the middle, I got her to eat 3 mealworms yesterday but Iím worried is it normal to take longer than 6 weeks to lay a single egg.

04/27/05  08:08am

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 324582

As I said before is snapping at the plant normal?

04/27/05  01:01pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 324799

If your female hasnít laid any eggs in six weeks, she is probably NOT pregnant. Not all matings produce offspring. She would certainly show signs of pregnancy by now. Snapping at plants is not abnormal. Particularly if she thinks she sees an insect on the plant.

04/27/05  04:12pm

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 325000

I can see the outline of the eggs and her stomach is 3x itís normal size, Iíd post picís but our camera is broken.

04/28/05  07:53am

Torch
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 325886

Itís like her stomach bloated up over night, I turned the light on earlier and before I left she was on the ground.

04/28/05  08:01am

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Torch   In reference to Message Id: 325891

If it has truly been six weeks and no eggs yet, it is possible that she is "egg bound". Keep a close eye on her for the next week or so.

04/28/05  08:06am
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area