Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ball Python Forum

Playfulpython   Novalee   U1sickboy   Rabernet   Frankykeno   Coin   Jezabel   Rabernet   Jezabel   RC565   Kojak   Rabernet   Rabernet   Damsel80   Rabernet   Rabernet   KittyJ   KittyJ   Rabernet   KittyJ   Rabernet   Tefoe   Demona   Damsel80   Rabernet   Damsel80   Tefoe   KittyJ   Rabernet  
Pages 1
 Member  Message

Playfulpython
View Profile

Difference between a male and female?

Well, when I got my snake I was told they were 100 % sure it was female. Now I am thinking they were wrong. Is it true (in most cases) that from the vent to tail is longer and skinnier on a male, the head on a male is smaller than a female and if a ball ever gets to be a six footer it is most likely a female? Please show me the difference between a male and female head and vent area if possible. From jaw to snout is really tapered on Medusa not like my last snake which had very little taper and she was 5.5í long. Also her tail was short and fat! And she was supposed to be a girl as well but they are so different. Please help! Thanks

12/03/06  11:40pm

Novalee
View Profile

Message To: Playfulpython   In reference to Message Id: 1082338

No, you cannot visually distinquish males and females in ball pythons. The only way to sex is by popping or probing done by an experienced individual.

12/03/06  11:43pm

U1sickboy
View Profile

Message To: Novalee   In reference to Message Id: 1082341

I 2nd what Novalee has stated!!

12/04/06  12:03am

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: U1sickboy   In reference to Message Id: 1082356

I third what Novalee has stated!

12/04/06  09:14am

Frankykeno
View Profile

Message To: Rabernet   In reference to Message Id: 1082581

Novaleeís got it right. Find an experienced herp vet, a breeder or a keeper that can sex either by popping or probing and youíll know for sure.

12/04/06  10:42am

Coin
View Profile

Message To: Frankykeno   In reference to Message Id: 1082631

If they lay an egg, then its a girl too

12/04/06  11:16am

Jezabel
View Profile

Message To: Coin   In reference to Message Id: 1082651

My snake also has a claw looking thing by his reproductive area. (sorry canít think of a better way to describe it.) Iíve watched nature shows & on some other snakes itís used by the male to keep the female attached? Is this not the case with Balls? What is that exactly?

Jen

12/04/06  12:59pm

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: Jezabel   In reference to Message Id: 1082715

Those are called spurs - both males and females have them.

12/04/06  01:00pm

Jezabel
View Profile

Message To: Rabernet   In reference to Message Id: 1082717

Good to know.. thanks! I feel better about giving her a girl name now!

Is that what they are used for? Mating & attaching?

12/04/06  01:05pm

RC565
View Profile

Message To: Jezabel   In reference to Message Id: 1082719

I was having the same problem with mine. I was told it was probably a male but didnít know for sure. I was told by 99% of the people I asked about how to tell and they all said the same thing "popping and probing is the only way to tell for sure" the other ways can give you a guesstimate only. Mine is going to the vet soon to find out and for a check up. A check up is a good idea anyway. RC

12/04/06  11:37pm

Kojak
View Profile

Message To: RC565   In reference to Message Id: 1083456

Just went to the vet today and found out that mine is a boy. Also found out this...in females the probe goes in further, in males it goes in less. This is due to the actual amount of space in the tail taken up by reproductive organs and their size and shape. In the females the tail, therefore, is slightly longer than the males, but this, in no way, is an accurate way to determine sex.
My BP is also just under 7 months and only 141 grams. My vet tells me that at this small a size he is fairly certain it is a male, but he is having me to come back in 2 to 3 months and going to recheck (for free). He told me that at such a small size, even probing can sometimes be inaccurate.

12/04/06  11:46pm

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: Kojak   In reference to Message Id: 1083466

Quote:

in females the probe goes in further, in males it goes in less.

Actually, itís the opposite. Females only probe 2-5 scales (on average) and males probe much deeper. So, if your vet said that yours probed shallow, you actually have a girl.

12/05/06  06:37am

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: Kojak   In reference to Message Id: 1083466

Quote:

My vet tells me that at this small a size he is fairly certain it is a male, but he is having me to come back in 2 to 3 months and going to recheck (for free). He told me that at such a small size, even probing can sometimes be inaccurate.

Just out of curiosity - does your vet primarily see dogs and cats and the occassional reptile? I only ask this, because the first vet that I went to was that way. He told me the same thing. However, he now freely admits to me that thereís a lot of things that I understand much better than he does. Like probing - he had a heck of a time trying to probe mine, and didnít really have a probe set, but was using a very small plastic catheter to try to probe. Heís great for diagnosing health (he treated my first snake for internal parasites) issues, but some of the things (like properly sexing), he just doesnít see enough to have the experience level of a hobbyist level person.

I have a set of metal probes, and I even probed 10 wee babies for a member here this past summer. Even still, popping is quite easy at your guyís young age, and would remove all doubt (if he knows how to do it). In fact, the last time I saw Dr. C, I told him "Remember that snake you probed as a female? Well, sheís a he!" LOL He even asked me if he could refer people to me with husbandry and care advice, since he knows that I have more experience with it than him (heís really a boa guy, owns boas, but not pythons).

12/05/06  06:43am

Damsel80
View Profile

Message To: Rabernet   In reference to Message Id: 1083586

hmm this is odd because i have one of the most referred reptile vets in michigan and he also probed mine to about eight and said it was a girl.

crap now iím gonna take it somewhere else to double check.

12/05/06  06:48am

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: Damsel80   In reference to Message Id: 1083588

I would be calling 8 scales a male.

12/05/06  07:39am

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: Rabernet   In reference to Message Id: 1083605

Damsel, yours is probably what Iíd call a "tweener" (between male and female) and probably needs to be popped to make sure. Hereís a quote:

Quote:

Females of most species probe to a depth of approximately three subcaudal scales, and almost always less than eight, while males probe nine or more subcaudals.

Hereís the source:
Probing

12/05/06  07:43am

KittyJ
View Profile

Message To: Playfulpython   In reference to Message Id: 1082338

Well my male Ball python, at first when he was younger, he had a small tail, and when I sex him he was a female, but when I had second doubts because he was growing so much and his tail grew, A LOT. His tail is a good 2" out of 28.5inches. My Chester (Male Bp) has grown12 inches since July 27th 06! Thats a lot. Thats one reason why I thought he was a female. I knew he was male when I got him, but with short tail, growing extra fast, having a good size head (His head is not small!..or tiny like they say males heads are!) but yes his tail is longer than the female Bpís that i have held and YES when feel down his tail, right after his cloaca (or vent, rear end, w/e) there is a bump, and I know for sure that bump is his package. lol

12/05/06  07:44am

KittyJ
View Profile

Message To: Rabernet   In reference to Message Id: 1083605

Oh and I forgot to mention he is only 6 months old...and on one small/small rat per week.

12/05/06  07:45am

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: KittyJ   In reference to Message Id: 1083610

Kitty,

Are you only sexing yours by feeling a bump? I felt my males, I donít feel any bumps. The only accurate way of sexing is to probe or pop. Tail length, spur size, etc are all inaccurate ways of sexing.

12/05/06  07:50am

KittyJ
View Profile

Message To: Rabernet   In reference to Message Id: 1083618

When I first got my snake back July 27th I watched Kathy Love videos on Popping a yougn corn snake, it works fine with Bps as well. And I did, and it proved that my snake was female. But when my snakes tail grew longer and I could feel the bump better, I decided to take him to my vet in Lake Stevens, and he was probed male. And that was 2months ago and she also showed me how to pop him which also proved he was male. So now I know how to properly pop and probe But I wouldnt recommend popping a 6month snake or older. So yes Chester is a He.

12/05/06  08:46am

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: KittyJ   In reference to Message Id: 1083640

Quote:

But I wouldnt recommend popping a 6month snake or older.

Why? I do it all the time.

12/05/06  09:08am

Tefoe
View Profile

Message To: KittyJ   In reference to Message Id: 1083640

Woo!
Slow down!!
Its early and I was up all night with a screaming kid.....
Is your snake a male or female KittyJ???

Sounds to me like your not too sure............

Anyway just to point out(maybe to show off)to everyone!(As its been said,Probing or popping are the only reliable was to tell the sex of your snake!)I do have a male that is near 5 feet long!His head is huge as well.....

12/05/06  09:53am

Demona
View Profile

Message To: Tefoe   In reference to Message Id: 1083677

ok, so in boas and pythons males have a deeper probe than females, but isnít it true that in corns and such its opposite???? maybe your vet is used to working with those snakes. I could be really messed up on this, maybe its just that male corns are larger than females)

12/05/06  10:29am

Damsel80
View Profile

Message To: Rabernet   In reference to Message Id: 1083609

lol i love these conversations!

tweener. love it.

i donít want to take my snake out in the winter, itís already freezing here! And because iím not breeding or anything iíll just wait till spring to have her probed again lol.

good thing the rest that i am buying have already been sexed!

hope to have some updated pics from adam this week!!!!! ( so excited)

12/05/06  10:56am

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: Damsel80   In reference to Message Id: 1083709

Remind me what youíre getting from Adam again? Iím excited for you!

12/05/06  12:06pm

Damsel80
View Profile

Message To: Rabernet   In reference to Message Id: 1083766

one spider female and a pair of pastels.

because i was figuring years down the road, think long long time, i could have a pastel male to breed to the other girls.

and then maybe after another year or so i might add some ghosts and caramels to the collection!

lol who knows, only time will tell.

12/05/06  12:25pm

Tefoe
View Profile

Message To: Demona   In reference to Message Id: 1083691

No with all snakes males prob deeper......

And the only reason you see such huge male corns is because theyíre fed to much.

12/05/06  05:25pm

KittyJ
View Profile

Message To: Rabernet   In reference to Message Id: 1083651

My snake is a male (curing the confusion :)

Quote:

But I wouldnt recommend popping a 6month snake or older.

Why? I do it all the time.

Well I heard that when they get older it hurts them. Thats just what Iíve heard and I believe Kathy Love said it. So Iíve always agreed because it seemed right. But then again I dont exactly know why she said hat, or I just dont remember... But thats why she recommends proing any snake older than 6months-a yr+. Not sure if thats only for corn snakes, but I think its the same for all snakes.

12/05/06  08:31pm

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: KittyJ   In reference to Message Id: 1084352

Each species of snake is different. Kathy Loveís expertise is in corn snakes. Most all of the ball python breeders Iíve met all pop (rather than probe) every snake, baby to adult. I even did a trade with two adult females, and the breeder proceeded to pop them in front of me to confirm their sex.

12/05/06  09:03pm
Pages 1

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area