Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ball Python Forum

Lynds11   Rabernet   Reflex   AllStar   Lynds11   Mechnut450   Rabernet   Lynds11   Lynds11   Lynds11   Kojak   Lynds11   Kprincess  
 Member  Message

Lynds11
View Profile

Rat bites snake...

what now?... yes i know i am a horrible snake mom can we please just leave that out of this i feel awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ive been reading and doing research so far i know antibacterial soap and neosporin and keep it clean. any other advice? (i will be switching to killed)
thanks for all your help , lyndsey

12/31/07  09:54pm

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: Lynds11   In reference to Message Id: 1563246

Rat bites snake...

How bad was the bite? Were you supervising the feeding? How big was the rat?

If it helps any, I feed live rats - but even my largest snake gets a small/small rat each week.

If itís not a bad wound, just treat with neosporin without pain reliever.

12/31/07  10:51pm

Reflex
View Profile

Rat bites snake...

Neosporin works well, but if it is a smaller wound you can also use repti wound healer, it works wonders for me, but if neosporin is all you have in your house, save yourself 8 dollars. I have had this mistake with a mouse once, after that i started stunning them before feeding.

12/31/07  10:51pm

AllStar
View Profile

Rat bites snake...

Lyndsey,
Sorry your snakeís hurt. Bites happen. Antibacterial soap, neosporin and keep it clean. Thatís about it. Watch for infection. If you see infection, get to a vet.

Good luck

12/31/07  10:52pm

Lynds11
View Profile

Message To: Rabernet   In reference to Message Id: 1563331

Rat bites snake...

theres actually a few wounds (i guess you can call them) and only the one seems to be down to muscle. I never have a problem with feeding her i was in a hurry to get out so i dropped a small rat in and pretty much left. so no i wasnt supervising. i stunned the rat like always he was knocked out when i dropped him in. i feed one small rat/week to both of my snakes. I have no excuse for what has happened i really just hope she will be ok i am so torn up by this. -Rab whats your take on repti wound healer?
thank you all

12/31/07  11:45pm

Mechnut450
View Profile

Message To: Lynds11   In reference to Message Id: 1563440

Rat bites snake...

yeah rat bite are a pain to treat . I say depending on were ( that ai key point in my book ) the bites are treat them with neo and keep them clean.

I mostly deal with rat bite to myself. I donít know why but they chomp the hell out of me but not anyone else. and mine arealways in the knuckle and down to bone( that a freaky feelnig I tell you). as for the deep one just watch it. my corn snake had one ( before I knew about neo ) and it healed great but what happen was the scab more less formed a donut type hole andso had a lip of skin which he still has but no longer a dount type just an scale flap. it took me 3 week fo get the old scab(scar) out once it was healed up it was annoying cause it rock in the hold but not come out until one day it crumble off one side and fell. I was looknig at the snake with my jaw on the floor cause he had a hole that was just a skin flap almost like a earring piercing .

01/01/08  12:12am

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: Lynds11   In reference to Message Id: 1563440

Rat bites snake...

Iím not familiar with the repti-wound product. If itís to the muscle, you may want to get it seen by a vet.

I never stun my rats, a stunned rat coming out of it is a very angry and scared rat. The rats that I feed are well fed, well hydrated, and never know what hits them when the snakes nail them.

Let us know how he/she does.

01/01/08  12:34am

Lynds11
View Profile

Message To: Mechnut450   In reference to Message Id: 1563529

Rat bites snake...

theyíre down by her tail thankfully it didnt get her in her face im glad to hear that im not the only one this has happened to and that there is help. thank you all and happy new year

01/01/08  12:38am

Lynds11
View Profile

Message To: Lynds11   In reference to Message Id: 1563580

Rat bites snake...

just a thought... epsom salt? ive used this to heal cuts that ive had. would it be a bad idea to soak her in it. i thought i could hold her body while her tail soaks in it. what do you think.

01/01/08  10:34pm

Lynds11
View Profile

Message To: Lynds11   In reference to Message Id: 1564790

Rat bites snake...

sooo she looks like shes doing better. shes about to go into shed i dont know how that will effect the healing process. today she seemed a little touchy which she hasnt been so i dont know what was up with that.

01/07/08  10:08pm

Kojak
View Profile

Message To: Lynds11   In reference to Message Id: 1572976

Rat bites snake...

Donít beat yourself up too bad over this. As stated, bites do happen. Itís part of the natural predator/prey interaction. We as keepers/breeders simply take out many of the negative naturally occurring events by controlling what happens in our snakes lives.
Follow the advice given and your snake should heal fine. If there are any signs of infection or other complications see your vet. Also be sure to keep your snakes substrate especially clean and dry through the healing process.

01/08/08  09:04am

Lynds11
View Profile

Message To: Kojak   In reference to Message Id: 1573306

Rat bites snake...

thanks

01/08/08  01:28pm

Kprincess
View Profile

Message To: Lynds11   In reference to Message Id: 1573479

Rat bites snake...

Iím glad to hear that your snake is healing good. You took good care of him/her, and like everbody says-- stuff like that happens , itís nature.

01/08/08  02:00pm

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area