Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ball Python Forum

Tinnydieu   GA_Ball_Pythons   AllStar   Tinnydieu   GA_Ball_Pythons   Marg   Morsel   Tinnydieu   KAMANDAG   LoftLizard   Traviss   Marg   KAMANDAG  
 Member  Message

Tinnydieu
View Profile

What is Neosporin?

I always hear people recommending it to treat burns or infections for snakes with Neosporin without pain killer. But I’m in Canada so this drug is prescripted so is Polysporin the same thing. I asked the pharmacist he said it has the same function but one is made with neomisen and Polysporin is made with polymisen or something like that. Would you recommend using Polysporin? Or what other products to do you recommend to treat severe infections and burns. *This is not advertising but just want a better knowledge with what other products out there*

03/06/08  11:01am

GA_Ball_Pythons
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1650152

What is Neosporin?

Go to your local store and ask for a triple anti-biotic ointments without pain killer.

Neosporin is just a brand found in the US.

And yes Polysporin will work this is another antibiotic ointment (again get the one without pain killer)

Quote:

to treat severe infections and burns.

I recommend a mandatory trip to a vet severe infections or burns need to be examined by a vet as they might require prescription antibiotics

Antibiotic ointments are only for your first aid kit which should also include betadine.

Those will allow you to treat bites, slight burns, slight scale rot etc, any severe problems means it must be addressed by an herp vet.

03/06/08  11:16am

AllStar
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1650152

What is Neosporin?

That’s funny!!!
You can buy Codeine over the counter in Canada... but Neosporin requires a prescription. Too funny!!

Also, like GA said, I always recommend a trip to the vet to make sure it’s not worst than it appears. Usually, your vet can give you the antibiotic ointment.

03/06/08  11:33am

Tinnydieu
View Profile

Message To: AllStar   In reference to Message Id: 1650165

What is Neosporin?

Thanks GA and Allstar but how do you use betadine? Do you just apply on the ball python where theres a cut or bite?

03/06/08  01:01pm

GA_Ball_Pythons
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1650235

What is Neosporin?

Betadine solution is use to clean the area prior to apply the antibiotic ointment.

There are also other things that need to be done husbandry-wise, depending on the problem.

Again depending on the extent of the damage it is highly recommended to consult a vet.

03/06/08  01:26pm

Marg
View Profile

Message To: GA_Ball_Pythons   In reference to Message Id: 1650253

What is Neosporin?

Curious... does your new snake have a burn???

03/06/08  05:03pm

Morsel
View Profile

Message To: Marg   In reference to Message Id: 1650468

What is Neosporin?

Neosporin is just a topical triple antibiotic. So any antibiotic cream, triple antibiotic cream in the generic area serves the same function.

03/06/08  05:50pm

Tinnydieu
View Profile

Message To: Morsel   In reference to Message Id: 1650541

What is Neosporin?

Nope my snake doesn’t have the burn but I just want to ask these questions and just have a better understanding if it has ever occurs.

03/07/08  12:37am

KAMANDAG
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1651196

What is Neosporin?

That IS weird. Neosporin needs a doctor’s prescription in Canada?

I thought whatever we have here in the states they have the same in Canada? Or is it just magazines? (Notice how each magazine has a US price and a Canada price? Same goes for books.)

03/07/08  12:40am

LoftLizard
View Profile

Message To: KAMANDAG   In reference to Message Id: 1651202

What is Neosporin?

Quote:

That’s funny!!!
You can buy Codeine over the counter in Canada... but Neosporin requires a prescription. Too funny!!

Actually neosporin and polysporin are over the counter meds here, and codeine does require a prescription.

I bought neo for magda when I got her, she was burned from chin to vent, and if codeine was otc I would never leave my bed!!!

Bruce

03/07/08  12:44am

Traviss
View Profile

Message To: LoftLizard   In reference to Message Id: 1651205

What is Neosporin?

Quote:

That’s funny!!!

But the Skiing is great here in SW Ontario all year!! So make sure you Folks from the US come and bring your gear in August like youse usually do!!(you wouldn’t believe it, this actually happens)...
That’s funny!!!
You can watch people blowing each other to bits on TV...but you can’t show good hard sex...Too funny!

Amazing how little US people really know about us way up here?...I guess Rick Mercer summed it up...

03/07/08  06:28am

Marg
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1651196

What is Neosporin?

Oh. ok :o)

Good to know!

Having a Thermostat, or at least a Rhoestat, will ensure your snake will not get burned :o)

Although some can malfunction.
But having your UTH controlled is Manditory.

03/07/08  06:46am

KAMANDAG
View Profile

Message To: Traviss   In reference to Message Id: 1651292

What is Neosporin?

Quote:

I guess Rick Mercer summed it up...

Who is Rick Mercer?

I know Rick Springfield is Canadian.

("You better love somebody...you better love somebody..")

03/07/08  09:36am

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area