Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ball Python Forum

KCNMS   Nate304   KCNMS   Marg   SoLA   Nate304   SoLA   Nate304   KCNMS   KCNMS   KCNMS   SoLA   KCNMS   SoLA   KCNMS   KCNMS   Camo_pants   KCNMS   Vypyrz   Camo_pants   Marg   KCNMS   SoLA   Firearms454   ScrubLizard   SoLA   ShadowAceD  
 Member  Message

KCNMS
View Profile

Snakes eat eachother??

OK, i just saw a post and was wondering...what would cause a BP to eat another BP aside from them not being fed properly?? Just curious, Thanks.

01/26/10  10:42pm

Nate304
View Profile

Message To: KCNMS   In reference to Message Id: 2117688

Snakes eat eachother??

it can literaly be an accadent.. a ball is used to eating on say sunday. and saterday comes around and there hungry. thay mistake the other and bam desaster. the other posability is teritory. this is my space get out and the other one says no i wanna live here too.

im new these guys can correct me but thats the obvious reasons

01/26/10  10:53pm

KCNMS
View Profile

Message To: Nate304   In reference to Message Id: 2117690

Snakes eat each other??

wow - well I fixed my problem - no more tank sharing...Now what to do with this monster tank?and lights and heating pad...UGGGG! All that wasted unnecessary stuff cost me a fortune!

01/26/10  11:01pm

Marg
View Profile

Message To: KCNMS   In reference to Message Id: 2117693

Snakes eat each other??

Yes snakes eat other snakes... usually for food reasons,
but can be due to domination.

Any snake willl attemp to eat another snake,
if it sees it as a food source.

Lovely pics you saw ehh?
(grossed me out first time I saw them too)

You fixed your problem...
Did ya get tubs for all of them?
Glass tanks?

Pictures, pictures, we want Pictures!!!
lol

Quote:

what to do with this monster tank?

ebay?
Craigs List?
Add in your local paper?
There is a link here at RZ you can post on...
(Classifieds).
Must contact webmaster Doug (link, top of forum),
he will give you access to selling whatever :o)

Still have boxes?
take them back to the store
(tell them some one already got you the stuff, and you don’t need what you bought - lol)

As for lighting... Many say they need a 12/12 light cycle...
not Necessary, but not bad for them either...

I use just a room light... on a timer...
Turns On at 8am - Off at 8pm

01/26/10  11:42pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: Marg   In reference to Message Id: 2117704

Snakes eat each other??

...it happens, but it certainly has nothing to do with what day the snake is used to being fed on. Opportunistic ambush predator....Whoever came up with the term "imprint feeder" is an idiot

01/26/10  11:48pm

Nate304
View Profile

Snakes eat each other??

marg is a good person to talk to btw. she knows reptiles big time

01/26/10  11:50pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: Nate304   In reference to Message Id: 2117709

Snakes eat each other??

Um...what to do with monster tank? Use it for One snake. Just because you use this website does not mean you have to join the tiny enclosure club : )

01/26/10  11:54pm

Nate304
View Profile

Snakes eat each other??

hay kc,

oh geez i feel sorry for this ... when you seperated them do thay have a way to keep warm.if you have to i mean under this situation. can you stack them in the 200 gal tank to keep them warm. i know this is alot to deal with.especialy with 4 snakes.but if that 200 gal tank can maintain a 85-95 temp. untill you can get all the rest of the stuff you need. its like a haitie temporary shelter. i think all of us feel sadend by all this but also all of us are worried about the animal survival.

01/27/10  12:07am

KCNMS
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 2117713

Snakes eat each other??

I may do that...use it for one of my larger snakes. By the way Sola, I was looking at your profile to see your babies - (love the whole room thing, its awesome! One Question though...My husband and I were wondering what is the thing that is pink with hands...a toy?? Just wondering, we have a bet, I think its fake and he actually googled for an hour teying to find "pink snake with arms" lol here is what came up...

It actually helped to lighten my mood cuz it looks so fake! ROFL!!! I dont know maybe its real.....hmmm

01/27/10  12:13am

KCNMS
View Profile

Message To: Nate304   In reference to Message Id: 2117718

Snakes eat each other??

Its ok, I just bought smaller heat pads at petco for them individually, but I must say, its not as nice to look at them now....I will find a way to make them a more enjoyable scene as they are in my dining room. Thanks for asking. I am also very concerned because I dont even know how to tell if they are pregnant or not yet. I hope this is easier with my kids than it is with my pets....

01/27/10  12:15am

KCNMS
View Profile

Snakes eat each other??

They are in tubs for now, and there is nothing fancy about them. My husband said we can go get a new stand that will hold 4 tanks and fix them up properly soon. He promised!!! I did take some pics of them just before I took the tank apart...would you like to see those pics??

01/27/10  12:18am

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: KCNMS   In reference to Message Id: 2117720

Snakes eat each other??

It is an exact replica of a juvenile Bipes biporus made in some crazy putty by a Japanese Artist. Bipes are the only legged amphisbanean, which is different from both snakes and lizards. They are by far the oddest reptile in the world, and they are the most feared reptile in Baja California. If you want some laughs...do a google on why the Mexican people fear the ajolote so much : )

I had to buy this piece of art and spend a ton of money displaying it nicely in this room.

01/27/10  12:18am

KCNMS
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 2117726

Snakes eat each other??

Its cool....I am gonna google that! I just wonder now if the pic from msnbc is a photoshop thing or a mutated reptile....hmmm - wheels r spinning!

01/27/10  12:22am

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: KCNMS   In reference to Message Id: 2117728

Snakes eat each other??

I remember that pic coming around and I do believe there is some validity to it and it is being studied further to see if they can figure out what happened there.

01/27/10  12:27am

KCNMS
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 2117730

Snakes eat each other??

I am gonna look into thatas soon as i finish looking into fixing my babies!! They come first! Am I correct in saying that keeping a snake is an art instead of a science?? I cant find anyone who actually agrees with all of the things that anyone else says. What i am doing is taking it all and making adjustments a little at a time to see what is best for my babies. I really dont know what else to do. Except wait and see if my girl lays eggs....

01/27/10  12:37am

KCNMS
View Profile

Message To: KCNMS   In reference to Message Id: 2117732

Snakes eat each other??

I dont want her to lay eggs but i am understanding that it is a real possibilty. Do you know I actually had one breeder that I was chatting with at a show tell me that snakes wont mate with a snake that they are always housed with...and I believed him too.

01/27/10  12:39am

Camo_pants
View Profile

Message To: KCNMS   In reference to Message Id: 2117734

Snakes eat each other??

Couldn’t you have just put a divider in the big tank ? that way it would still be nice to look at

01/27/10  12:50am

KCNMS
View Profile

Message To: Camo_pants   In reference to Message Id: 2117736

Snakes eat each other??

Thought of that but the only solution was to use plexiglass and cut it to fit, but w/o harsh chemicals to glue it down Mojo kept knocking it over, plus we couldnt get a warm side and a cool side that way plus give them room for their hides and water bowls.

01/27/10  01:04am

Vypyrz
View Profile

Message To: KCNMS   In reference to Message Id: 2117741

Snakes eat each other??

I’m thinking that snake ate some type of bird or lizard and, for whatever reason, one of the legs punched through

01/27/10  11:21am

Camo_pants
View Profile

Message To: KCNMS   In reference to Message Id: 2117741

Snakes eat each other??

Oh right, I forgot how tall those big tanks are. It’s too bad aquarium places don’t make lower longer tanks. Biggest i’ve seen is a 40 gallon breeder tank.

01/27/10  01:40pm

Marg
View Profile

Message To: Vypyrz   In reference to Message Id: 2117816

Snakes eat each other??

Quote:

that snake ate some type of bird or lizard and, for whatever reason, one of the legs punched through

That’s what it looks like to me - lol

01/27/10  04:10pm

KCNMS
View Profile

Message To: Marg   In reference to Message Id: 2117878

Snakes eat each other??

I think its a mutant or something...I dont know. But this is what SoLa was talking about when I asked her what that was in one of her tanks. I watched some videos about it and read some articles...but so far, sorry SoLa, I didnt happen across any that were for sale. Only some that were in peoples yards. I would have to say that if this were in my yard, I would probably be a bit scared of it too. And I would take tons of pictures.

01/27/10  07:14pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: KCNMS   In reference to Message Id: 2117909

Snakes eat each other??

Well, I am a guy actually. SoLA stands for "Snakes of Latin America." The picture of the girl with the green anaconda in my photo list is my girlfriend.

People fear the animal you posted ("ajolote" / Bipes biporus) because according to legend, you do not sit in the dirt in Baja California in fear they will they crawl up your rear end and dig their claws into your intestines and stay there.

I had to have this piece of art...but don’t even ask how much it cost me : )

01/28/10  01:43am

Firearms454
View Profile

Message To: KCNMS   In reference to Message Id: 2117688

Snakes eat eachother??

you can use aquarium silicone to attach the dividers just let it cure fully (2 weeks or so) i would use a non-see-through divider so they wont see movement in the next cage and freak or strike. or even better you could just get a bigger snake to fit the tank.

01/28/10  07:56pm

ScrubLizard
View Profile

Message To: Firearms454   In reference to Message Id: 2118212

Snakes eat eachother??

They had a mexican mole snake ( the pink retarded fish frog thing) for sale at a reptile show, it was wild caught, it was for sale for 9k......there pretty cool, but whats the point when they live for a year or two? maybe they live longer in captivity? I wonder how long the ones that live in peoples buttholes live for?

01/28/10  10:03pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: ScrubLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2118256

Snakes eat eachother??

I have heard them called mole lizards, but never snake of any kind. They aren’t lizards or snakes though. Nor are they retarded fish frog things. While I would not pay 9k for one, I would certainly trade all of my ball pythons for one : )

01/28/10  10:19pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 2118262

Snakes eat eachother??

Most silicon, even aquarium silicon, cures in 24 hours. I’ve used it in boa tanks, corn snake tanks, water dragon tanks and ... go figure, an aquarium. After 24 hours, I put the animals back in it and they are completely fine. It’s more economical, I suppose, but if you’re going to get other tanks, that works too. I have two seventy-five gallons that are housing two boa constrictors with a divider secured with silicon. It won’t be ideal for too long, but until I can get permenant housing, it will. As for that ... crawling snake ... thing ... I don’t know if I’m more fascinated or weirded out by it ... I kind of want to poke it ... but, that’s just me.

-D

01/30/10  09:07am

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area