Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ball Python Forum

Butane   RichsBallPythons   Butane  
 Member  Message

Butane
View Profile

Plumping up a stunted ball

Well I got my Athena in Jan of this year she was 3 mo old at the time, the breeder I got her from was.... Less than reputable. She was extremely underweight, and she was behind on where she should have been length-wise. I am afraid that the months he had her being underweight may have stunted her growth permanently.

She’s almost a year old now and despite her being fed a med. mouse every 7-9 days, having a perfect enclosure set-up, she’s still only about the size of a 5-6 month old ball python.

I just switched her over to small rats (pre-killed) for better nutrition and in hopes of getting her weight/length up.

Is there anything else I can do? Is switching to rats going to help or is she doomed to being a little tiny lol? I have this horrible fear that it may be my fault despite doing everything right.

10/11/10  08:57pm

RichsBallPythons
View Profile

Message To: Butane   In reference to Message Id: 2180429

snakes all grow at different rates. I have 09s larger than 05s. Cant judge size by someone elses snakes.

They grow when their in a growth spurt. Even when fed weekly they just sometimes dont grow fast. Do not push food down his throat thinking itll cause him to get bigger fast. This will in turn cause him to stop eating.

Smaller prey items more often. I never feed larger than small rats to even 3000+g females every 5 days.

10/11/10  09:06pm

Butane
View Profile

Message To: RichsBallPythons   In reference to Message Id: 2180434

Oh I had no intention of bumping up the feeding schedule, and the rats I just switched to are about same size as the mice I had been giving her, she has no problem eating them. Although after this last rat I gave her (her first rat) I will wait 10 days instead of my usual 7-9 for her to eat just to be sure.

Maybe I just happen to be a hypochondriac for herps lol

10/11/10  09:09pm

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area