Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ball Python Forum

Chrisxp   Cphill58   Marg   RichsBallPythons   Kelso reptiles   Fire Fox   Kelso reptiles   RichsBallPythons   Travisss   Travisss   RichsBallPythons   Travisss   RichsBallPythons   Mhd730399   Travisss   Travisss   RichsBallPythons   Travisss   RichsBallPythons   Travisss   RichsBallPythons   Travisss   RichsBallPythons   Mhd730399   Travisss   Mhd730399   Travisss   Mhd730399   Mhd730399   Retic Ric  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Chrisxp
View Profile

NEWSPAPER ?

would it be safe to allow newspaper to get wet for a short period of time ?........Just say my snake was in shed and i wanted to place some dampened moss under his hide obviously on top of the newspaper would this be fine,or would i have to worry about the ink smudging?

03/27/11  05:51am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Chrisxp   In reference to Message Id: 2211625

NEWSPAPER ?

A damp spot / wet won’t hurt for a week or so ...if the heat pad is under that it will dry out quickly anyway and you will have to moisten the moss again. An old towel that is damp is better though ...especially if you want to read the paper...lol

03/31/11  02:08am

Marg
View Profile

NEWSPAPER ?

Anything wet and warm can mold.
Wounld worry too much about the ink, although it could rub off on the snake,
and tint the skin color. just gently bath in luke warm water.

If you need to up your humidity, you may want to switch substrates.
I use shredded Aspen, some use cypress mulch, news paper, etc.,
anything but pine or cedar, they are toxic to reptiles.

See the post "SETTING UP YOUR ENCLOSURE", for tips, and equipment needed
for a proper set up.

Marg

03/31/11  07:23am

RichsBallPythons
View Profile

Message To: Marg   In reference to Message Id: 2212323

NEWSPAPER ?

Marg Pine isnt toxic to reptiles if using kiln dried.

some of the top breeders and still use pine, and other hobbyist breeders for 10+ years still use pine.

03/31/11  03:43pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

NEWSPAPER ?

all you have to do is take it and fill the bath tub about about 2 inches with nice warm water then put him in there and watch it so it dosent get out
just lat it soak

04/01/11  10:39pm

Fire Fox
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2212546

NEWSPAPER ?

I believe soaking is stressful and should only be done if there is stuck shed on the snake. Even then there are better methods, like a damp pillow case or just making a shed hide.

04/01/11  11:52pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Fire Fox   In reference to Message Id: 2212557

NEWSPAPER ?

i do it to my snake once every time he is in shed and he dosent get stressed he has never rufused food and he just sits there soaking up the warm water

04/02/11  12:08pm

RichsBallPythons
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2212620

NEWSPAPER ?

Did he tell you he wasnt stressed when you put him in water. Last time i checked they cant talk or communicate with us. And just caused hes eating dont mean hes not stressed. Snakes are opportunistic feeders, and will eat when ever possible, stressed or not.

And soaking a snake is not needed unless theres a problem.

04/02/11  02:49pm

Travisss
View Profile

Message To: RichsBallPythons   In reference to Message Id: 2212371

NEWSPAPER ?

Well Rich...pine shavings, whether kiln dried or not, do contain a phenol level(thats the toxic stuff)...so because it is used by some 10 plus year breeders..is it good to recommend it? Its like saying lead paint is ok as long as it only has a little bit of lead in it?
Marg ...Good advise! and OP..stay away from pine...it contains phenols...although in trace amounts humans can easily metabolize them..i am not sure about snakes metabolizing in the same way?(wish i could ask but, as Rich pointed out ...they dont talk)
I personally use newspaper on my ball pythons and aspen(which i shake out on an old window screen to get rid of excess dust) for my colubrids and sand boas
I believe most large breeders to use Sanichips by Harlan which are all kiln dried hard wood...no pine or cedar...i actually called the company and spoke with a rep to try to get the product here in Canada
No disrespect Rich...but Thats a few times now you have dissed another reputable keepers (who have been here a long time) good generic advice and given advise which wasnt exactly accurate?(i’ve been around a while too...even before ever saw you here) maybe you are the new GA(maybe you remember GA?) in town but you come across a little truculent towards anyone else who knows a little too?...trav
Advise...not Attitude...easy to get confused ...they both start with ...A....Advise, thats what new owners come here for
Attitude, thats why I have stayed away from here for a long while..was thinking about coming back!
Maybe bring back some excitement?

04/03/11  07:56am

Travisss
View Profile

Message To: Travisss   In reference to Message Id: 2212746

NEWSPAPER ?

And for the record...GA was a really smart keeper...and would have ate you for breakfast if you dissed her

So would have Scylla, Robin or another handful who left...boy we miss them..

04/03/11  08:10am

RichsBallPythons
View Profile

Message To: Travisss   In reference to Message Id: 2212748

NEWSPAPER ?

Travis the top breeders in this industry you all talk about USE PINE.

Oh yea guess what aspen contains Phenols as well, Bet you didnt know that either did ya. i been breeding snakes longer than some been keeping them. And if the pine is kiln dried its fine to use. If you want to talk to
Deborah(GA) and any others they will tell you the same thing over on bp.net where the big breeders admit to using pine.

I give out advice on personal experience from myself and other. BHB, Ralph Davis, NERD, Wilbanks, all have or still uses pine, so before you talk about anything have your facts straight.

Go to bp.net and start a thread about this where its going to get more replies and i Guarantee you get tore up by those who still use pine with their boas,colubrids,pythons.

04/03/11  11:49am

Travisss
View Profile

Message To: RichsBallPythons   In reference to Message Id: 2212775

NEWSPAPER ?

There you go again..being a nasty
I have been to Brians shop in Shelby and he uses Harlan Sanichips.
The reason that you are the only one who comments on your posts
is the fact that you are nasty...go look...no one but you comments?
Ever wondered why?
And i am not sure if spelling counts or not...but...
Yes i am sure that when i go to see Robin, Deborah...i will notice that you regurg some of what they say...
But, i bet it isn’t exactly what they say...i know...they dont recommend pine

And what breeders do I talk about? You dont even know me like kay and marg would?

04/03/11  12:16pm

RichsBallPythons
View Profile

Message To: Travisss   In reference to Message Id: 2212783

NEWSPAPER ?

Travis ive met you buddy, i used to work for BHB, and he no longer uses halran sani chips. he uses Pj Murphy sani chips that is a mix of everything not just aspen. I stopped working at BHB due to how he treats his snakes, and yes i have some NASTY proof of it too

I could care less if no one posts on my threads, seriously what is this HS. I run my own forum and post here to not so often. I have better things to do than argue with you here over Pine bedding, which you know nothing about but what some site said or pet store said. Like i said stop talking out your bozo and do some research on threads where breeders have came out and admitted to using PINE. Or do oyu need me to give you the link to that thread.

04/03/11  12:27pm

Mhd730399
View Profile

Message To: RichsBallPythons   In reference to Message Id: 2212786

NEWSPAPER ?

hey rich. could i ask for some of that proof. i wanted to buy from them. one of their sand boas. i would like to see how bad it is. they are the same people who do snakebyts tv right? i am new to snakes :). and trav...rich isnt rude or annoying hes just very opinionated. the only post i posted he commented on and was pretty helpful.

04/03/11  12:57pm

Travisss
View Profile

Message To: RichsBallPythons   In reference to Message Id: 2212786

NEWSPAPER ?

Were you pleasant? I dont remember you...did you tagalong on one of the trips Chuck setup? Or were you working there then?
You missed the point...if you are frustrated with the same old questions...stay at your forum...or just try and be nice without condescending comentary...yes you know alot..we all see that whenevr you point it out to us all
I am sure the people you cut down probably think...seriously,what is this HS? When they are confused and asking for help!

If you are taking the place of the experts..be polite...and back your answers with the links you are so fast to want to show me up with...dont just disregard what they say...

Maybe we could be friends after you get over the resentment of being told to play nice?..hope so?
I think it is possible to give advise without coming off like an adult chastising a little kid...

Robin...aka Rabernet..wouldnt allow it there either..

What does my bozo have to do with this?...later young fella...

04/03/11  01:10pm

Travisss
View Profile

Message To: Travisss   In reference to Message Id: 2212790

NEWSPAPER ?

Did you use to be flamethrower?

Id love to see the proof also as Brian sells here at the CRBE...lets see?...pleeease

04/03/11  03:26pm

RichsBallPythons
View Profile

Message To: Travisss   In reference to Message Id: 2212798

NEWSPAPER ?

Id love to show proof, but i have signed a contract when lori hired me that i would not talk bad about them. This goes for posting any kind of proof on forums.

Want to see them youll have to email me directly to see.

and no Flamethrower is not me but local person

04/03/11  04:20pm

Travisss
View Profile

Message To: RichsBallPythons   In reference to Message Id: 2212803

NEWSPAPER ?

Well then...technically have you not broken the contract already? So it shouldnt matter now?

So...Where did we meet?

04/03/11  04:29pm

RichsBallPythons
View Profile

Message To: Travisss   In reference to Message Id: 2212804

NEWSPAPER ?

No i didnt break any contract as i havet posted proof of such things on a public forum.

I know i met you when and what time of day it was idk yet.

04/03/11  04:32pm

Travisss
View Profile

Message To: RichsBallPythons   In reference to Message Id: 2212803

NEWSPAPER ?

Lol...nevermind...lol...

04/03/11  04:34pm

RichsBallPythons
View Profile

Message To: Travisss   In reference to Message Id: 2212806

NEWSPAPER ?

I got a entire folder on computer of pictures of when i worked there. One reason why im glad i no longer work there.

Wanna see it have to contact me via email

04/03/11  04:40pm

Travisss
View Profile

Message To: RichsBallPythons   In reference to Message Id: 2212807

NEWSPAPER ?

I have seen the files..and having been to BHB myself..can attest the photos are real...and very disturbing to any animal lover...really bad no matter how many breeding animals you have....
Rich is legit...sorry for doubting..trav

04/03/11  05:58pm

RichsBallPythons
View Profile

Message To: Travisss   In reference to Message Id: 2212812

NEWSPAPER ?

My last post was for Travis to contact me not entire world to ask for pictures. So please not ask to see anything anymore

04/03/11  06:22pm

Mhd730399
View Profile

Message To: RichsBallPythons   In reference to Message Id: 2212815

NEWSPAPER ?

lol...

04/03/11  06:25pm

Travisss
View Profile

Message To: Mhd730399   In reference to Message Id: 2212816

NEWSPAPER ?

Nothing to lol about...i suggest buying elsewhere if you have a choice...

04/03/11  06:51pm

Mhd730399
View Profile

Message To: Travisss   In reference to Message Id: 2212818

NEWSPAPER ?

allright buddy i learned never to post when ur made. waited an he and still feel like saying people like u make me wana get out of the bp hobby. have a nice day

04/03/11  07:02pm

Travisss
View Profile

Message To: Mhd730399   In reference to Message Id: 2212824

NEWSPAPER ?

...ok?
I guess i’m made? Whatever that is...
I have made 34 posts since 2008..so if you are going to leave the hobby.wow you must find me really offensive?
Hmmm guess i should say sorry...sorry...
When you post next time if you could notice the spell check link it would make it easier to decifer the mess you wrote...have a nice day yourself...

04/03/11  08:00pm

Mhd730399
View Profile

Message To: Travisss   In reference to Message Id: 2212832

NEWSPAPER ?

ok thanks guys. sorry :)

04/03/11  08:05pm

Mhd730399
View Profile

Message To: Travisss   In reference to Message Id: 2212832

NEWSPAPER ?

ok thanks guys. sorry :) oh and i guess we kinda hijacked the post lol sorry

04/03/11  08:05pm

Retic Ric
View Profile

Message To: Mhd730399   In reference to Message Id: 2212834

NEWSPAPER ?

If your talkin’ about Mike Wilbanks in Okc. He doesen’t use pine. So don’t know what your talkin’ about.

04/03/11  11:23pm
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area