Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Ball Python Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Benson803   Mollys mommy   Cancer   Benson803   Benson803   Mr olivers owner   Sunfire   Mr olivers owner   Leoman911   Sunfire   Wyland2222   Benson803   Wyland2222   Benson803   Mr olivers owner   Benson803   Mr olivers owner   Benson803   Wyland2222   Ripit  

Member  Message

Benson803
View Profile

New Snake Owner!

I just got a female ball python at the Repticon Charlotte expo!
She was purchased from Reptile Exotics who had a booth setup sharing with Carolina Rodent LLC.
she weighs 61 grams and is about 16 inches long. I am unsure of her age but i assume she is a juvi??
i was told to feed her hopper mice and she has not eaten yet. she has killed a mouse but didnt eat it:/
she is my first snake so i would greatly appreciate some advice!!
here are some photos of her and a video of her tank setup:
Video:]

08/31/12  03:47pm

Mollys mommy
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2278500

New Snake Owner!

She is beautiful. I am also new to snake ownership. I do know that it will take her a few days to get used to all the new changes that she has just been through. Patience is what she needs now. She will eat soon enough.

09/01/12  12:33pm

Cancer
View Profile

Message To: Mollys mommy   In reference to Message Id: 2278647

New Snake Owner!

Ideally, you should wait about 2 weeks before trying to feed and handle her excessively when you introduce her to a new environment. Snakes are susceptible to stress, and changing homes is incredibly hard on them. Let her acclimate, then she’ll forget that she’s tense and be ready for food

09/01/12  12:54pm

Benson803
View Profile

Message To: Mollys mommy   In reference to Message Id: 2278647

New Snake Owner!

Thank you:]
she is very calm now and well adjusted to her new surroundings. she LOVES to be held so much its unbelievable:]
I’m going to get a different color mouse today to try to feed her just to see if she’d prefer a black or borwn one to a white one.

09/08/12  01:45pm

Benson803
View Profile

Message To: Cancer   In reference to Message Id: 2278651

New Snake Owner!

i got her to eat a frozen pinky rat tuesday. i talked to a vet about her and he suggested to try prekilled smaller rats. she did fine with the pinky so im going to step her up to fuzzies after next tuesday provided she eats again.

09/14/12  10:00pm

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2280367

New Snake Owner!

good job on the rat, dont use mice it has less nutrition and when the snake gets older you will have to do multiple mice per feeding once on rats there good for life. she is a juevi likly only 3-4 months old as the breeding season/hatching periods only occure once per year there is only a few month variance for her to be born in.

my baby has been on rats her whole life and is 6 months old and 400 grams, ive have reduces feedings to every 10 days as i dont want to over feed, yours should still be fed every 5-7 days, later on it the snake is overwieght you can reduce, just moniter the wieght, a fat snake has a significantly lower life span (10 yrs as opposed to 20-25...something like that)

the color of the rat typically doesnt matter but some will not eat hairless rats (mine dont care) they really dont like too much varience in the diet so dont offer anything else unless you absolutly have too

since a pinky is realy small you may just want to go ahead and offer the last pinky now and again the fuzzy on wed(since a pinky rat is not enough for a newborn bp) when feeding the food item should be the size of the snakes belly(fatest part of its body or 10% of the snakes wieght (as sudgested by somone else)

09/15/12  11:39am

Sunfire
View Profile

Message To: Mr olivers owner   In reference to Message Id: 2280401

New Snake Owner!

Where did you hear the 10% from? I have not heard that before and if that is the case I need to greatly up how much I am feeding. I have a 900+ gram male that I have been feeding 40ish grams of food. To do the 10% I would have to double his feedings.

09/17/12  01:14pm

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Sunfire   In reference to Message Id: 2280611

New Snake Owner!

different forum sorry , but my female who is 1000g (40inches)gets 100g 3 times per month but my other female(800g 38 inches) only accepts 60g x 4 /month both are almost the same length. i feed my 400g male 40g x3/month

i feed every 10 days 10% my younf one hatched in early april and hes a voracious eater when mine are 2 years or older ill cut back since they wont be growing you dont have to double because you have an extra feeding that i dont have if you double your snake will definetly put wieght on faster but not nessisarly heathy wieght although 40 for a 900g snake seems like a small amount have you offered 50gram rats cuz my spider female is 800g 38inches and shes still very slender(not under wieght) id like her to eat more like my 1000g normal bp but she chooses to have smaller more frequent feedings

10 is what i have been doing without realising(but i also only feed every 10 days) it and has worked for me, im still incontact with the breeder who feeds by the same amout roughly kinda coincidence.

ques i shoulda elaborated more eh? lol

09/17/12  04:20pm

Leoman911
View Profile

Message To: Mr olivers owner   In reference to Message Id: 2280621

New Snake Owner!

yeah the 10% is how i do my feeding too

09/18/12  11:46am

Sunfire
View Profile

Message To: Leoman911   In reference to Message Id: 2280690

New Snake Owner!

Leoman911, how often do you feed 10%?

09/20/12  04:33pm

Wyland2222
View Profile

Message To: Sunfire   In reference to Message Id: 2280909

New Snake Owner!

Ok probably gonna start something here as none of you know me because I have not been on here hardly at all of late, couple years only come and go now and then........I have 15 bp’s, most adults now, a hatch ling I just got and a just getting a bit over a juvie.......never heard the 10% thing myself, only go the the largest part of the snakes girth on rat size.......love the video.......now, you do not need light from above for any reason, only under tank heat as that is how they digest their food, yours is also in a tank that is too big, they don’t like that much space, you can still use it, but put lots of stuff, decorations etc in it so you snake feels secure, that could be an issue with not eating. I feed mine once per week and always have and they are all a great weight and would eat more if I let them but I don’t, as babies I feed them twice per week for a bit then slowly add days till they are also at once per week........I do agree rats are better, my personal opinion of course but they do have more meat on them, this I feel they get more out of them than mice.......I feed in their tubs and not in separate container as some do. The screen on the side of your tank is only a problem if you can not keep the humidity controlled, other wise it is fine, you can cover part of it if it is a problem with humidity. I would offer your new baby food once per week and just wait it out, it will not starve itself for sure, I found this out when I was new the bp’s and had one that would not eat and I would freak out over it, however it also did not loose hardly any weight, once I was calmer about feeding and put the rat in and walked away (dead of course) for about 30 min if it was still there I would take it out and freeze it ( only once, if it refused it twice it went in the trash), warmed it in a plastic bag in warm water almost hot, it only took 3 weeks before he was eating on his own and has been one of my best eaters since then. Hope I have not stepped on any toes here but this is how I learned to raise mine and not one is fat, nor ever had any problems and I have never had a light on from above as I have said already they don’t need it.
Trish

09/21/12  09:43am

Benson803
View Profile

Message To: Wyland2222   In reference to Message Id: 2280988

New Snake Owner!

WOW! sorry guys ive been busy and have only checked the uromastyx forum! she is eating fuzzy rats now and is very plump and healthy! her feeding day is now Sunday and she is doing very well! super playfull and sweet as she’s always been:] i use the light from above because i have thick curtains that block sunlight and i have 5 ceiling lights which would use up 5x the energy to run all day. i like it cold in my room so i dont use much heat and with one side of the tank being an airflow area the tank would become chilly so i provide the light to get a proper ambient temperature. a question for all of you: when should i change bedding? she hasnt shed nor has she excreted waste INSIDE the tank. waste has been excreted but she did so in the tub during a bath and swim in some shallow water.

10/06/12  08:56pm

Wyland2222
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2282312

New Snake Owner!

What kind of bedding are you using? I use only newspaper so that I can always tell when it needs to be cleaned, so I am not sure how often others change theirs..........
ok so I understand why now you use a light above........but was it you that used a night light? They really don’t need that, if they get chilly they are gonna go in their hide which should be placed over the under tank heater :+).
Trish

10/07/12  08:58am

Benson803
View Profile

Message To: Wyland2222   In reference to Message Id: 2282331

New Snake Owner!

i used the nightlight BEFORE i got my heat pad but i finally got one. i had to wait for one because both of the pet stores in my area were out.
but bedding-wise i use fir bark. its like petsmart brand repti-bark. so im guessing i would be able to see poop but maybe not pee so much. hmm... i guess i’ll wait and if she poops i’ll change it but if she poops outside again i’ll set an amount of time and change it afterwards:]

10/07/12  10:34am

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2282338

New Snake Owner!

any reptile bark product needs to be changes regularly due to mold or the mildew smell, being that the bark is usually damp the main concern is mold, if you can afford to do so change it completly every couple months or less, ive switched over to using paper towels and damp bath towels during shed time, i had a coconut mulch/bark mix and found it gotmoldy when my snakes spill the water, humidity was always great though, when they poop just take the bark around the poop and change all bedding at your schedualled time, some go by 3 months i went by1.5-2 months, you can change it more

now that you have heat pads if you havent already id invest in a Tstat or dimmer to control the temp and prevent belly burns as they can overheat fast they are like $20-40 depending on brand and store but i highly recomend it.

10/07/12  11:03am

Benson803
View Profile

Message To: Mr olivers owner   In reference to Message Id: 2282340

New Snake Owner!

Will do! i have another bag waiting to change so i’ll monitor it for mildew and mold. someone recommended that i use moss (dried), and when it gets dirty, wash it and dry it again, as a reusable substrate of some sort. any ideas on how that would work out?

10/07/12  09:00pm

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2282375

New Snake Owner!

i tried the moss thing and no it stinks after about a week works great for humidity but ewww, aroud shedding time i just use a damp bath towel then change it and wash it, safe reusable and availible in many colors i cant complain, when not in shed i leave them with a dry towel and pour a small amount of water on the part where the heat pad is (heat pad is under container not in of course) humidity stays at 70% when not in shed and 90 when in shed works like a charm, i used to do the same thing for my water dragon (to avoid impaction aswell he eats everything even pennies and rice krispies :s)

the moss gets really brittle when dry but looks awsome in a tank set up, its just high maintanace i found atleast

10/07/12  11:46pm

Benson803
View Profile

Message To: Mr olivers owner   In reference to Message Id: 2282388

New Snake Owner!

Very nice!
Considering that winter is coming and temps are dropping she’ll be fine at night right? i don’t want her to freeze lol

10/11/12  03:36pm

Wyland2222
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2282657

New Snake Owner!

Sorry I did not get back here before now.........I only use newspaper as I have no problem ever seeing if anyone has spilled water or peed etc...........I get it every day anyway so it is less money I have to spend, but if you want to use something else., it is all up to the owner and others have answered your question as well :+)............
Trish

10/13/12  09:05am

Ripit
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2278500

New Snake Owner!

how old is it and how big is it and how big will it be

10/24/12  01:47pm

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area