Ball Python Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Freedom21   Danknee91b   Edf   Danknee91b   Freedom21   Edf   Freedom21  

Member  Message

Freedom21
View Profile

Piebald het X normal = ?

What do you get if you breed 66% het piebald black pastel to a normal?

10/17/13  03:21pm

Danknee91b
View Profile

Message To: Freedom21   In reference to Message Id: 2301738

Piebald het X normal = ?

Normals and black pastels.

A 66% het is not a het until it is proven.
It was the result of black pastel het pied to a het pied resulting in 1 or more offspring of actual visual pied and 2/3s of the non visual are in theory het for pied.

Breeding a possible het to a normal would result in no gaurantee of an animal to carry the recessive mutation do even marking them possible hets is really a lie.

10/17/13  05:19pm

Edf
View Profile

Message To: Danknee91b   In reference to Message Id: 2301739

Piebald het X normal = ?

what he said- technically, this is where the 33% hets come from.

each snake has a 33 % chance of being a het. So, first pairing, th e babies, yes you can advertise that they are indeed 33% hets for pied.

Oncde the sire is proven to be a het- the babies move to 50% hets- because its proven th emale did indeed carry the gene, so half the babies carry it. However, you don’t know. so say you got 4 babies to sell, half your buyers got the hets- half got the normal.

I believe th e66% hets come from het to het pairings...

If you are dead set on th epied gene- get at least a 100% het ( baby resulting from a visual pied)

To prove out said snake- once he gives you babies- save all femasles and raise them up, and breed them back to dad. Hopefully one of the females carries the het gene and you get a visual ( you could have bad odds and get no visuals due to just the odds gods being bad- so no visuals, try another season)

You can get a female 100% het for pied and you’ll get more odds of getting a visual.

or flat out by a pied female...LOL and if you get visuals, the sire is indeed a het.

10/18/13  12:58am

Danknee91b
View Profile

Message To: Edf   In reference to Message Id: 2301749

Piebald het X normal = ?

Right edf the 66% het would come from a het to het breeding that resulted in 1 or more visuals from breed het to het. If no visual is produced but they are in fact both 100% hets then you would have a 50% het clutch (odds go down since in theory you have more normal looking babies)

If you did infact hit a visual you baby would no longer be a 66% het because he is now a proven het pied.

I would advise against breeding a possible het to a normal and trying to sell them for het prices. It would more be a bonus if it proved out for the buyer.

10/18/13  04:42am

Freedom21
View Profile

Message To: Danknee91b   In reference to Message Id: 2301753

Piebald het X normal = ?

Thanks guys, I was just curious about the percentage! I’m not planning on breeding that combination, but was curious! So if the normal was at least 66% het pie and bred to the 66% het pie black pastel, what are the chances of getting a piebald?

10/18/13  04:30pm

Edf
View Profile

Message To: Freedom21   In reference to Message Id: 2301765

Piebald het X normal = ?

its getting a little complicated fo r me.

think of it this way- the 66% het parents have the 66% chance of being hets themselves- its more then 50/50. So all you need is that bad luck on one and you don’t have th eformula. but you have 66/33 odds of them proving out.

i had a 66% het for albino male- was our first snake. he was the cheapest that was housed alone ( there were ones cheaper but all housed together) I had a female bp i bought that happened to be a 50% het albino. Had i paired them ( never did) there was a chance i could get an albino- but the female was less of a chance at having the gene then the mail. In the end, wasn’t breeding a possible het male normal.

10/18/13  06:28pm

Freedom21
View Profile

Message To: Edf   In reference to Message Id: 2301773

Piebald het X normal = ?

That makes since edf, just trying to the math in genetics haha. I’m going to try and get the cinnamon and black pastel both 100% het pie if I can find such a mix out there! Any good breeders I can talk to?

10/18/13  07:12pm

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area