Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ball Python Forum

Damian7   Damian7   Coloherp   Damian7   Hammer   Eunectes4   Coin   Hammer   Damian7   Hammer   Coloherp   Coloherp   Damian7  
 Member  Message

Damian7
View Profile

Can I wear gloves?

Iím going to be feeding F/T mouse for the first time today and was wondering if it would be ok to wear gloves when handling Damian. If so what kind Latex or non-latex powder or non powdered?

01/25/06  02:00pm

Damian7
View Profile

Message To: Damian7   In reference to Message Id: 620724

Can I wear gloves?

Can I wear those thick green rubber gloves. Theyíre like dish washing gloves, but we use them when we handle chemicals here at work. Since I have some here at work I wouldnít need to buy them.

01/25/06  02:02pm

Coloherp
View Profile

Message To: Damian7   In reference to Message Id: 620728

Can I wear gloves?

Rubber gloves,plastic gloves, unless your allergic to your snake these will do no good because if you snake bites you it will still penetrate the glove. Use a leather glove if you need one.

01/25/06  03:50pm

Damian7
View Profile

Message To: Coloherp   In reference to Message Id: 620879

Can I wear gloves?

Not for biting purposes only but also didn’t want him smeling the mouse on my hands so I could slip on gloves real quick. Could his bite really penetrate those thick azz green gloves? He’s only 22" long.

01/26/06  06:55am

Hammer
View Profile

Message To: Damian7   In reference to Message Id: 621798

Can I wear gloves?

Why arenít you using tongs?

01/26/06  07:07am

Eunectes4
View Profile

Message To: Hammer   In reference to Message Id: 621808

Can I wear gloves?

thats what I was thinking? It seems you have not seen a ball pythons teeth. They are longer than your gloves are thick...and they are strong and sharp enough to penetrate even tough surfaces like thin rubber and plastic gloves.

Use some hemostats. I have used long chop sticks for feeding snakes when I cant find a set of hemostats (tongs) laying around. Use anything but a hand

01/26/06  10:36am

Coin
View Profile

Message To: Eunectes4   In reference to Message Id: 621927

Can I wear gloves?

Why donít u just heat up the rat in hot water first(not boiling or microwave). Then just drop it in the cage. That way you shouldnít get bitten, and he is more likely to take it cause he can sense the heat coming off it, as well as the smell.

01/26/06  10:40am

Hammer
View Profile

Message To: Coin   In reference to Message Id: 621931

Can I wear gloves?

If you toss a wet rat into an enclosure, two problems arise: The ball may not react to it as it would a moving object, if itís use to live rats. If your substrate is mulch, some of the substrate may cling to it, and you donít want that... This shouldnít be that complicated, really. Use tongs like everyone else does.

01/26/06  10:46am

Damian7
View Profile

Message To: Hammer   In reference to Message Id: 621934

Can I wear gloves?

I donít think you guys are understanding totally what I mean. The gloves are not for holding the mouse in front of the snake. Thatís just dumb. They were for transferring the mouse as to not get the smell of him on my hands. After the mouse was placed in the feeding cage the gloves came off. All I really wanted to know was if the gloves are bad for the snake? Now can someone answer that 1 simple ? for me.

01/26/06  01:33pm

Hammer
View Profile

Message To: Damian7   In reference to Message Id: 622071

Can I wear gloves?

Thatís as clear as mud. If you donít touch the snake, how could gloves harm the snake? Iím going to asume a lot here...You take your ball out of the enclosure for feeding. Once heís out, you want to give him a mouse, so you put gloves on for that task. When the ball is finished, you want to transfer him back into his enclosure so you want to use gloves? I really donít know what you mean.

Leave him in his enclosure, use tongs and there is no issue with gloves. It seems so simple I canít understand what you are doing thatís so complicated?

01/26/06  02:05pm

Coloherp
View Profile

Message To: Hammer   In reference to Message Id: 622105

Can I wear gloves?

If its the scent your worried about get some antibacterial cream (the kind you donít wash off) and rub it on your hands after handling any rodents, this will also Que the snake that it is you and not food as well. If your wearing gloves because your afraid of a bite, donít sweat it. A BP bite rarely hurts (Unless it is a larger one). If your rubber gloves are the big thick green ones I am thinking of, no your snake shouldnít be able to penetrate them.

01/26/06  02:34pm

Coloherp
View Profile

Message To: Coloherp   In reference to Message Id: 622140

Can I wear gloves?

No, the glove powdered or regular wonít harm your snake.

01/26/06  06:43pm

Damian7
View Profile

Message To: Coloherp   In reference to Message Id: 622509

Can I wear gloves?

thanks Coloherp you answered my question.

01/27/06  08:30am

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area