Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ball Python Forum

Altitude   Lilholda   Jeff7777   Altitude   Lilholda   Chugalug93   Lilholda   Rabernet   Jeff7777   BO BO F E A A   Rabernet   Jeff7777   Reptiles4me  
 Member  Message

Altitude
View Profile

My Ball Struck At me!!!

My ball python struck at me! And then struck at my dog! Sheís never done this before. I had her in with my sisterís python which Iíve done before, but not quite for such a long time. Apparantly they arenít good nestmates. Could there be anything else causing the problem? Hunger? Anger? She bit me once on accident. I was feeding her and she missed the mouse. I use tongs now. Why would my python strike at me???

06/02/06  05:12pm

Lilholda
View Profile

Message To: Altitude   In reference to Message Id: 815843

My Ball Struck At me!!!

Is she about to go into shed? Maybe she was just being pissy, I donít know. Just let her kind of calm down for a day or two and then (if you want, put some gloves on) try and hold her again. _LilHolda_

06/02/06  05:16pm

Jeff7777
View Profile

My Ball Struck At me!!!

its either due to shed or stress...are its eyes milky? if not, it is stress.

stress could definitely be from being housed with another snake...even though some people on here do it with few problems, many people have run in to major problems with that..sounds like you need to keep them separate

(the feeding bite you described was exactly that..thinking you were food.)

but this is probably a defense thing...and probably from housing with the other snake.

06/02/06  05:37pm

Altitude
View Profile

Message To: Jeff7777   In reference to Message Id: 815871

My Ball Struck At me!!!

Sheís due in for a shed, I got her on March 11th and she had just shed and she has shed once more since then. Her belly is looking a bit pink but I donít know if itís just me. I thought I was moving and was keeping her with my sisterís until I did, so I wouldnít have to set up her whole enclosure but I found out today that Iím not so I went ahead and put her back in her home. Iíll let her chill there for a day or two, sheís due for a feeding tomorrow anyway and weíll see how she does. Thanx.

06/02/06  05:53pm

Lilholda
View Profile

Message To: Altitude   In reference to Message Id: 815900

My Ball Struck At me!!!

You say her belly looks pink? Check with your sister and see if she says it looks pink also, b/c it could be a burn. Check with your sis to make sure, if it is keep us posted. _LilHolda_

06/02/06  06:03pm

Chugalug93
View Profile

Message To: Lilholda   In reference to Message Id: 815912

My Ball Struck At me!!!

Some times i Think they just get in nasty moods like i was feeding my adult ball pyhton this Monday actually and he struck at me but i just let him be for a few hours and then handled him but he has always has a bit of an attitude ... so you never know with these guys...

Mike

06/02/06  06:07pm

Lilholda
View Profile

Message To: Lilholda   In reference to Message Id: 815912

My Ball Struck At me!!!

Wow, Iím sorry, looks like I didnít do all of my research!!! lol. I donít know why but when I had two bps I never saw the pink on their bellies. Iím a bit embarrassed!!! _LilHolda_

06/02/06  06:08pm

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: Chugalug93   In reference to Message Id: 815923

My Ball Struck At me!!!

They donít get moods - they behave by instinct. If they are stressed, or perceive some sort of threat (youíre a predator to them) - then they will strike. Simple as that - no over analyzing needed!

06/02/06  06:09pm

Jeff7777
View Profile

Message To: Lilholda   In reference to Message Id: 815925

My Ball Struck At me!!!

well, you might have missed it, or maybe it wasnt that apparent...

my bp gets almost no pink at all...
plus, when his eyes go blue, it is almost hard to tell. but some bpís look like friggin "night of the living dead" or that simpsons episode "we know all your secrets"...

i guess they are all a bit different.

06/02/06  06:14pm

BO BO F E A A
View Profile

My Ball Struck At me!!!

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME IT ATE DOSE IT HAVE ITS OWN CAGE IF SO KEEP IT IN THERE NOT UR SISTERS A BALL PYTHON IS VERY LOVEIN UNLESS IT IS HURT BOTHERD HUNGRY ECT EMAIL ME BACK FOR FURTHER INFO

06/02/06  10:07pm

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: BO BO F E A A   In reference to Message Id: 816297

My Ball Struck At me!!!

Bo Bo, take your caps off - itís considered yelling, besides itís hard to read!

A stressed ball python is not loving - it has nothing to do with emotion (which they donít have - they have instinct).

06/02/06  10:14pm

Jeff7777
View Profile

Message To: BO BO F E A A   In reference to Message Id: 816297

My Ball Struck At me!!!

BO BO F E A A, can you NOT POST IN ALL CAPITALS PLEASE?

and some punctuation would be nice. not to be a jerk, but your posts are a migraine...

06/02/06  10:15pm

Reptiles4me
View Profile

Message To: Jeff7777   In reference to Message Id: 816312

My Ball Struck At me!!!

Quote:

And then struck at my dog!

Thatís not surpring at all. She was defending herself. I would keep the dog as far from her as possible or train the dog to stay away. I have 4 and use the "leave it" command.

You mention that she was housed with another snake. Is it possible that she is pregnant? Just a thought.

Quote:

and some punctuation would be nice. not to be a jerk, but your posts are a migraine...

lmao

06/02/06  11:43pm

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area