Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

MINNYME   Jawsthemeswimming   Emerald Basiliks   Jawsthemeswimming   Puff the majic w.d.   Sweetpea*Urolover14   Emerald Basiliks   Jawsthemeswimming   Krayzie11   Dweezle  
 Member  Message

MINNYME
View Profile

BABY BASILISK AND WATER DRAGON TOGETHER

DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE SAFE TO PUT A BABY WATER DRAGON WITH A BABY BASILISK TOGETHER. WE JUST GOT A NEW BABY BASILSIK AND HE LOOKS SO LONELY IN THIS GIANT CAGE WE HAVE HIM IN.

THANX MARY

03/08/07  10:25am

Jawsthemeswimming
View Profile

Message To: MINNYME   In reference to Message Id: 1201723

well he wont be loney, i doubt he would want another critter invading his space. but they can tollerate eachother. try to get a water dragon of the same size as ur bassie, give them lots of room with more than one basking area, lots of hides and they should get along ok. but have another viv ready to seperate them incase. also if both grow up to be male they will almost 100% need seperating cos they will see each other as enemy’s when older. my bassie lives witha green anole, they will be seperated shortly as the bassie is growing larger by the min.

03/08/07  03:10pm

Emerald Basiliks
View Profile

Message To: Jawsthemeswimming   In reference to Message Id: 1202006

Yea no prob i had mine together for a long time and they were fine.

03/08/07  08:00pm

Jawsthemeswimming
View Profile

Message To: Emerald Basiliks   In reference to Message Id: 1202404

emerald basilisk i cant believe what u just said. ’yea no prob i had mine together for a long time and they were fine’

what wrong with what u said?
. you cannot generalise spieces mixing with all basilisks and water dragons cos some will get along others will fight instantly and some will just avoid each other, the later usualyl die from stress.

. ’i had mine together for a long time’ - how long exactly? did they live together though maturaty? or was it only when they were young.

. ’and they were fine’ were fine? how are they now? are they still living together?

. males of both spieces will usually fight eachother as they look very similar. so males cant be housed togther. male and female, female amd female - possibly.

. ’yea no prob’ no problem? you are taking two animals from different contries and sticking them in a container that is no where near the size of their natural habbitat. no problem? no.
there are soo many things that can go wrong, another lizard should not just be an ’accesory’ to the tank. two vivs are needed incase they need seperating, and the new lizard should obviously be quariteened before going near the basilisk.

in short spieces mixing should only be undertaked by experienced herp keeps with lots of resorses and tanks at their disposal incase anything does wrong. the process cant just be sumed up in ’ yea no prob i had mine together for a long time and they were fine.’

03/09/07  11:50am

Puff the majic w.d.
View Profile

Message To: Jawsthemeswimming   In reference to Message Id: 1203137

I had mine together with no problems. But as mentioned above make sure it is a big enclosure with at least 2 different basking lights.

03/09/07  01:11pm

Sweetpea*Urolover14
View Profile

Message To: Puff the majic w.d.   In reference to Message Id: 1203216

no never mix species together that is a very big no no, no matter how big the enclosure is you should never mix the species together try getting another lixard of the same species that way they wouldent be lonley

03/11/07  02:58pm

Emerald Basiliks
View Profile

Message To: Sweetpea*Urolover14   In reference to Message Id: 1205499

Na they will be fine together. Just get male and female. Or female female. Mine slept next to each other and were fine. They would lay on top of each other2. I am seperated now because i have more room now. I had them at juvies. Just get them both as babys.

03/11/07  07:03pm

Jawsthemeswimming
View Profile

Message To: Emerald Basiliks   In reference to Message Id: 1205769

yea but there is a big difference between husing juvis and babies together and housing adults to gether, emerald, yours probably got on cos they were young, put em together now and you will have trouble. one lizards will bask on another to show dominance over it. this doesnt meen they are friends. generally i agree that spieces mixing is a big no, but a lto of ppl have had sucess with housing adult basilisks with waters, most are very experienced herpers, not just begginers who stick babies together. like emerald. most babies get along good as long as they are both vetted and quarenteened. but few tollerate each other when mature. so basically lets so no unless you have a ot of experience under ur belt.

03/12/07  03:02pm

Krayzie11
View Profile

Message To: Jawsthemeswimming   In reference to Message Id: 1206625

As long as your WD and Bassy are about the same size an age you should not have a problem, but when I say same size and age i mean young, babies. Our WD and Bassy were not more than 6month old when we put them together and they have gotten along great. I have pictures of them sleepimg on one another. For the most part though they stay on their seperat branches.

The best thing to do is to start small, only put them together for a short time where you can watch, and steadily increase the time until you feel that they can live togehter. Watch thier color, it will give away what they are feeling about the situation.

We have a WD, Bassy, and tokay all in our Viv and we have never had a problem.

03/17/07  12:40am

Dweezle
View Profile

Message To: Krayzie11   In reference to Message Id: 1211861

I have two adult wds and a basilisk together and they are fine they dont bother with each other as long as you have a big enough viv and plenty of hiding places it will be fine

03/21/07  04:12pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area