Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragon Community Forum

Rock and roll   Rock and roll   Cphill58   Rock and roll   Cphill58   Rock and roll   Cphill58   Rock and roll   Cphill58   Dragon Lover   Dragon Lover   Rock and roll   Dragon Lover  
 Member  Message

Rock and roll
View Profile

Help lizard wont poop

my lizard has not pooped since monday and i give her fruit with meal worms and do you have any tricks to make her poop. I need tips and fast and when shall we start worring about her not pooping.

01/14/10  08:00pm

Rock and roll
View Profile

Message To: Rock and roll   In reference to Message Id: 2113726

Help lizard wont poop

and she is not eating her fruits and vegtables i have tried almost every fruit that is good for bearded dragons.

01/14/10  08:04pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Rock and roll   In reference to Message Id: 2113727

Help lizard wont poop

Meal worms will impact your dragon ....if it will not eat fruit or veggies, it may have become spoiled on mealies. Get some crickets instead! Your dragon maybe dehydrated...get some veggies I listed below...mist them with additional water.

Romaine lettuce and iceberg lettuce and water melon and pumpkin will cause loose stool.

Mineral oil is at any drug store / baby section...it’s what mom’s use for constipated kids. It’s safe.

Get a dropper and give a couple of drops of mineral oil or olive oil to cause a loose poop. 1x every 3rd day. 2 full drops Make sure it takes the oil, or dip a cricket partially in oil.

Give warm baths and tummy massages at least 1x per day if not more.

Now is a good time to examine when it ate last and what you fed it... If it hasn’t pooped since Monday , I would be wondering if it had any food in it’s belly besides worms. Worms will take much longer to digest...especially if the dragon is dehydrated from lack of greens and wet leafy veggies.

01/14/10  10:41pm

Rock and roll
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2113762

Help lizard wont poop

I have been feeding her crickets as well. I give her a 20 minute bath 2 days a week to help keep her hydrated. Monday I gave her a 30 minute bath and at that time she pooped. I have been trying to find a place that sells anything but mealworms. She really loves crickets and we only feed them stuff that is high in calcium. We have olive oil here and will drop the crickets with that and if that doesn’t work then we will try the mineral oil. Do you have any suggestions o help her eat her greens??

01/14/10  11:05pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Rock and roll   In reference to Message Id: 2113772

Help lizard wont poop

Get super worms instead...as a treat...put 1 or 2 in the bowl of veggies down at the bottom ...often they will get some greens with the worm. Othere timers they are smart and just get the worm....add BUTTERNUT squash to the veggies ....shredded like cheese. They will go after that ...refrain from feeding anything else except veggies and squash...for at least a week. Your dragon will get hungry and eat what you give.

Cp

01/14/10  11:30pm

Rock and roll
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2113775

Help lizard wont poop

thanks and is there anything else and have you ever had a hart broken moment i did and my lizard will still not poop or well i mean B.M he-he

01/19/10  12:54am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Rock and roll   In reference to Message Id: 2115070

Help lizard wont poop

Pumpkin ...that will give them the runs....mineral oil / olive oil given through a dropper. The drug stores give them away for feeding human babies...I got 1 after I told the TARGET pharmacy that I wanted to force feed my lizard...they gave it to me.

BAby food / pumpkin ...mixed with a dash of oil..

You said it hasn’t pooped, yet in the last post you said it did in the tub. Keep up the good work. Our large adults poop 1x a week ...maybe 2x ...it is winter and they don’t eat as much either. Makes me upset to waste the food.

Yes I lost a 5 year old wonderful Chinese Water Dragon...even after spending 100’s on vets and meds...we still lost the battle.

I will never forget my Buddy....RIP

01/19/10  01:10am

Rock and roll
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2115074

Help lizard wont poop

Thank you for the rely, Your buddy is sooo cute. It is really hard

. I just tried to post a picture of rock and roll, i am new at this so i dont know if it will work

01/19/10  01:29am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Rock and roll   In reference to Message Id: 2115084

Help lizard wont poop

The photo server on this site is messed up ....I use PHOTOBUCKET(free photo site)....I load my photos there...copy the IMG code of the photo I want...and paste it here.

Never had any more problems.

If you do it right ....you will see your photo in the PREVIEW before you click POST MESSAGE

If you want more detailed instructions just holler.

01/19/10  01:44am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2115085

Help lizard wont poop

Hey Payson,

Yes, of course I remember you. What I can’t remember is, I tried to find the old thread but couldn’t, what type of substrate were you using?

You say that she is bloated. It coule be impaction, if could be just gas. Try getting her in the bath...prop her up on your hand and with the other hand massage her tummy gently/downwards. See if you can get her to fart.

How is she acting other than not eating and pooping? Tell me again how old she is.

It’s only been two or three weeks since Rock passed....it could be that she is just trying to adjust and therefore not eating. These guys hate change, and sometimes they don’t eat for a week or so. The fact that she is bloated worries me though.....try some pumpkin (the stuff you get for a pumpking pie in a can works). Put some on the tip of her nose and see if she will lap it up. Is she eating at all? She is still eating crickets but no veggies?

Very important to keep her hydrated. Pedyalite in the bath can help with this a lot. Also, you can take some of the pedyalite and drip it onto her nose....see if she will drink. You can also try the syringe idea like CP suggested on your thread.

If she is acting lethargic and the bloating doesn’t go away in a day or so, I would suggest taking her in to the vet for an xray.

Hope this helps some,

Edel

01/19/10  02:11am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2115089

Help lizard wont poop

Payson,

What are Roll’s temps? Up the basking to 110 to 115.

01/19/10  02:12am

Rock and roll
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2115090

Help lizard wont poop

yes all of the basking area is right and how much is the x ray i am at school so i need a awnser kinda fast. and i heard about baby food mixed with oil and pumpkin is that right.

01/19/10  03:03pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Rock and roll   In reference to Message Id: 2115237

Help lizard wont poop

Yes that’s right. You can take some chicken with veggies baby food, add a drop or two of olive oil. Or you can do the pumpkin. I have never done it, but I guess you cna mix them both.

The xray is gonna depend on the vet. I pay probably about $40 to $45 here. Call aroud to different reptile vets and see which one gives you the lowest price.

01/19/10  03:07pm

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area