Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Liz01   GimliMakaio   J & B   Drache   Eyespy   DRAKEO104   J & B   Liz01   Lizardcatchers mom   DRAKEO104   Drache   DRAKEO104   Drache   Liz01   Drache   DRAKEO104   Xena66   Liz01   Puffbaby   Liz01   Puffbaby   Liz01   Puffbaby   DragonKing   Holly11   SpeacilK   Puffbaby   SpeacilK  
 Member  Message

Liz01
View Profile

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

A dog broke into by beardie’s cage and broke her jaw before I could stop it. The break is on one side of her jaw about half way up. I called the only vet in town that will see reptiles and he said there is nothing I can do. He said the jaw is to thin to pin together. He won’t even give me antibiotics. He said the dosage for bearded dragons is difficult to find and may do more harm than good. To make matters worse she is gravid. How am I suppose to feed her and make sure she doesn’t get dehydrated? I love my beardie and I’m really scared that she could die. Can anyone help me?

08/31/04  12:39am
Sorry, No Replies

GimliMakaio
View Profile

Message To: Liz01   In reference to Message Id: 132859

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

are you sure its the only vet? look online for some, you are bound to find something... if you cant, i suggest leaving her alone, as handling her or trying to help her jaw will only stress her so much more. that is the only advice i can offer.

08/31/04  12:41am
Sorry, No Replies

J & B
View Profile

Message To: GimliMakaio   In reference to Message Id: 132864

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

I know there was someone else on her that had that problem from thier beardie falling off a window seal, i think drache(with some numbers behind the name) something, but there is another drache on here to who is female and that is not the one. Sorry, cant help more!!

08/31/04  12:45am
Sorry, No Replies

Drache
View Profile

Message To: J   In reference to Message Id: 132867

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

The other guy started with a D, but I don’t think his alias was anything like mine.

Anyway, I never posted this before cuz I didn’t know about this thread when it happened, and he was all better by the time I found it... my brothers’ Dresden has had his jaw dislocated before, at a very young age... the injury also included his head and rib area. Thankfully his other bones were either still soft enough to move without breaking, as some bones in a baby human’s are, or the pressure wasn’t enough... because he seemed in a GREAT deal of pain and had a dislocated jaw, but nothing actually broken.

That day, I’d called all the vets around here that were still open (it was kinda late), and all they wanted me to do was bring him in. None would give ANY info over the phone, ugh! No one can bring anyone hurt through these roads... the trip itself probably would have done him enough harm to kill him. Some of these roads are pretty nasty!

I ended up setting him in front of me while I worked on the computer, on a napkin in front of my keyboard. I kept the music off so as to not hurt his ears. I couldn’t really do anything for him but keep him still and as comfortable as possible, so I felt it best to be able to easily keep an eye on him while I worked. I kept Fia on my lap.

I ended up running into Avrey online, that guy I’d mentioned in here awhile ago from Ohio, whose uncle is a vet... he was on vacation at the time with a lot of his family around, so he asked him what to do. His uncle asked for all sorts of info about Dresden and I gave it to him, and he told me what to do, and it was basically what I’d ended up doing already.

If you can’t find a vet nearby who will help, and are stuck caring for this at home, I’d suggest keeping her very still in an area where you can easily keep an eye on her (without having to stare constantly all night, unless you have the time for it). Don’t have food nearby, or she might instinctively go for it (there’s always that chance, if she’s hungry enough), and end up hurting herself more. Rinse the cut gently with warm water... on a washclothe or napkin is best, so that you don’t have to move her to a sink or anything. Somewhere in here some healing things have been mentioned... I think Neosporin and Peroxide, but I could be wrong. Use those on the cut, if there is one. If it refuses to stop bleeding, I know something has been mentioned around here somewhere... and HeartMountain’s site (which has been approved by many on here) suggests using superglue.

My dad’s used superglue on our parakeet’s wing tip before (trimmed his wing a tad too close), and it worked. I know it sounds weird and possibly painful, but it’s better than losing a lot of blood.

If you keep her still, clean the wound, and she’s not bleeding too much... as long as she wasn’t sickly before, she should end up fine. Dresden looked horrid... I really didn’t think he’d live through the night, yet now he is growing at a VERY rapid, healthy rate... I think he’s even going to pass up Drache! There may be a bump after the healing, since you said her bone actually broke, but that should be it. Beardies seem incredibly good healers... much moreso than humans, at least, from what I’ve seen.

Do what you can, and rest assured, she should be fine. A vet would definately be the best thing, but this is something you could try if the vet is absolutely not possible.

I’ve seen many formulas on here for homemade watery beardie food, that can be fed from a syringe or eye dropper... I’d suggest finding one you like, and using it to feed her until her jaw is all better. Basically, it’s what you use to feed her already, but all mushed up like applesauce, with some extra vitamins (certain ones for certain things) added in.

08/31/04  1:11am
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

My favorite handfeeding formula is this:

Take Rep-cal bearded dragon pellets and cover them with very hot water. Once they are softened, mix in an equal amount of baby food such as chicken, squash, green beans, etc. Mash thoroughly. Add enough water and/or Pedialyte until the mixture is soupy and can easily drip from a needleless syringe or medicine dropper. You can also blend in some dark leafy greens such as collard, mustard, dandelion or turnip.

Definitely try to find another vet. Sometimes vets who specialize in birds will see a reptile as they have similar bone structure. I’d avoid superglues unless you know for sure they don’t contain volatile organic compounds. Some of them are quite toxic.

Good luck and let us know how this poor girl makes out.

08/31/04  9:43am
Sorry, No Replies

DRAKEO104
View Profile

Message To: Drache   In reference to Message Id: 132881

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

HI!, i am the one who had the BD with a broken jaw, i am sorry thaat this happened, i know it is a tramatic experience... my question is how badly dislocated is it? and are there and cuts in the flesh around the jaw? my vet told me to bathe my BD every day for hydration. he also said to give him lots of calcium and 30 minuets a day of solid sunshine. the reason for the sunlight is because normal bulbs and other lights aent strong enough. my BD has healed up and i was just about to update every one on his condition today. listen, the BD must be OUT SIDE! the uv-rays will be filtered out through glass. do not handle youre BD except when you take it out-side or give it a bath. you should feed it waxworms or silk worms because they are soft. most reptile stores sell such foods. if you need any further information you can e-mail me at: drakeodragon@bellsouth.net, the vets cannot do anything but give you tips on care. i have never had a gravid fe-male (but in a year i should) and i don’t know what to do there. but make sure that you dust her food. crickets are too hard for her to chew with her broken jaw. my BD did not eat for almost a week because of the pain, just keep trying. eventualy he/she will start eating again if she is not. some other vets may be able to give you some extera advise, but do not just stick with calcium powder alone. i would also sugjest that you get a powdered vitamin compound, i can give you the name of mine, here it is: rep-cal herpivite, multi vitamin with beta carotine, advanced formula. it cost me 15$ but it was worth it. i sugjest that you get the BD to a vet ASAP, even if you need to drive to another city to do so. they cannot pin it up (like the vet said it is too small) and the anti-biotics are very hard to calculate. i can also sugjest another sit that may be able to help, it is www.reptilerooms.com, they helped a bit with mine. go ahead and e-mail me for any further information. unless it gets infected you have little to worry about. the three signs of infection- a bad smell, or the smell of decaying flesh coming from the mouth, forming around the jaw, and red ness and unusual amounts of swelling. my BD still has a fat lip from it but he is ok. keep us posted on her condition every day, it will help us to help you.
-Brian

08/31/04  9:55am
Sorry, No Replies

J & B
View Profile

Message To: DRAKEO104   In reference to Message Id: 132958

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

Thanks drakeo104, i dont see you much on here anymore since youve gone back to school but i hoping you woudl see this post to help out the other beardy!!! And i was right about your name, huh???

08/31/04  11:56am
Sorry, No Replies

Liz01
View Profile

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

Thank you everyone for the advise. I soaked Liz today in some warm water and I was very happy to see her drink a little. She liked the baby food mixture I offered her, but she didn’t eat much. She is such a sweet and trusting beardie and it breaks my heart that there is still fear in her eyes. The dog tore through the screen of her outdoor enclousure so I plan to just sit on the porch with her as soon as it stops raining. I’m concerned about handling her too much. Today I noticed an indentation on her top side that was never there before. Could this be a broken rib? Do beardies bruise?

08/31/04  3:24pm
Sorry, No Replies

Lizardcatchers mom
View Profile

Message To: Liz01   In reference to Message Id: 133146

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

Aww!! I am so sorry this happened. Sound slike you got alot of really good advice!! I hoep she heals fast and recovers 100%!!
Love,
Jill

08/31/04  4:07pm
Sorry, No Replies

DRAKEO104
View Profile

Message To: Lizardcatchers   In reference to Message Id: 133170

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

i am not sure about the broken rib, a vet needs to determine that, but it will probly be alright even if it is. i know a friend who’s beardie had a broken shoulder and it healed up quite nice (it still walks with a limp just for ettention, aka. food) i am glad that she drank some. remember that they will be stressed out and it is crucial to give her 30 mins. of sunlight every day! this will help with he healing process. i will keep you’re BD and you in my prayers.
-Brian

08/31/04  4:28pm
Sorry, No Replies

Drache
View Profile

Message To: DRAKEO104   In reference to Message Id: 133180

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

If she ever gives any hassle about baths (moves around too much, won’t sit still, gets scared, etc.), you can mist her instead for those times.

08/31/04  4:55pm
Sorry, No Replies

DRAKEO104
View Profile

Message To: Drache   In reference to Message Id: 133190

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

ummmmmm, no they need to be soaked not misted, sry.

08/31/04  5:25pm
Sorry, No Replies

Drache
View Profile

Message To: DRAKEO104   In reference to Message Id: 133210

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

She has a BROKEN jaw, not just a dislocated jaw. When a bone is broken and healing, if it is jarred in any way it can lose all of its progress. If she’s a good dragon and never argues much about baths, then great for her. If she’s anything like my oldest, who seems to think the water is poison or something, baths would be a very bad idea. It will depend on her mood... and my suggestion is for if she ever decides to put up a fuss.

08/31/04  10:16pm
Sorry, No Replies

Liz01
View Profile

Message To: Drache   In reference to Message Id: 133519

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

I am fortunate that Liz usually loves her baths, but 30 minutes is long and she tends to get restless so I need to take her out. So far I’ve been giving her several baths a day lasting as long as she does which is usually 10-15 minutes. Is this OK? Her jaw is broken on one side at about the midway point between the joint and the very front. She seems to be very hungry but when she starts to lick the baby food mixture from the syringe I think it hurts her and she stops. I am worried that she will not get enough nutrition. Does anyone know what I should do about her needing to lay her eggs? Laying eggs takes a lot of activity and she always uses her nose to move the dirt around. I am concerned that she may become egg bound.

09/01/04  10:56am
Sorry, No Replies

Drache
View Profile

Message To: Liz01   In reference to Message Id: 133802

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

I’d been working on a sort of soft muzzle awhile back for my oldest, in order to introduce him to Fia without him being able to bite at her... until people on here said he might still try bulldozer and other such harder-to-restrain antics.

Maybe, if you’re able /willing to make that sort of thing, you could make a temporary one that would act more like a restraining cast / sling than a muzzle, and put it on her when it’s time to dig? If it would work, it could keep her bone from moving while she digs so that she can lay them and not become egg bound.

09/01/04  1:55pm
Sorry, No Replies

DRAKEO104
View Profile

Message To: Drache   In reference to Message Id: 133889

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

about the bathing, yes that is plenty enough. my lizard would start to eat and stop because of the pain too, dont worry at least she is getting some food. if you can plz post a pic of her. do not feel worried about the starting to eat and then stopping, just so long as she is getting some amount of food. keep posted
-Brian

09/01/04  2:11pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xena66
View Profile

Message To: DRAKEO104   In reference to Message Id: 133894

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

Liz, there is a chance that she might choose not to lay her eggs after this incident. I just went through the same thing with my gravid female. She had to have a toe amputated and should have been laying just before the surgery. But with all the antibiotics and injections she was getting, she was too stressed and she didn’t lay that clutch. But don’t worry yet, because I found out that it is quite common for BD’s to reabsorb their eggs back into their system, which is what my female did. And she is now gravid again, so wasn’t worse the wear for it. In fact, the vet said that it was good that she reabsorbed them because it stocked her up on all the nutrients she would have lost if she layed, and made her stronger for her surgery. So in the end, it could be a blessing when healing from a broken jaw. And it would save her the discomfort from digging.
I hope everything turns out ok! Keep us posted!

09/01/04  2:37pm
Sorry, No Replies

Liz01
View Profile

Message To: Xena66   In reference to Message Id: 133902

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

Now that you mention it she might be reabsorbing her eggs. Every day she looks thinner - today especially. She has just been sleeping a lot and eating a little. She is always opening her mouth for me. I think she is trying to tell me it hurts and she wants me to fix it. Does anyone know how long it is going to take to heal?

09/03/04  1:10pm
Sorry, No Replies

Puffbaby
View Profile

Message To: Liz01   In reference to Message Id: 135193

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

Didn’t you take her to a vet? Joan

09/03/04  2:31pm
Sorry, No Replies

Liz01
View Profile

Message To: Puffbaby   In reference to Message Id: 135214

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

I called the vet on the day it happened and he said there was nothing he could do. He didn’t even want me to bring her in. He just said to keep her quiet and hopefully she will heal. There is only one clinic (two vets) in town that will treat reptiles. I called him back and asked how long it would take for Liz to heal and he said at least 6 weeks. I like the advise I’ve been given here. It is nice talking to people who have beardies. Liz seems more energetic this morning and that really has my hopes up that she is going to be OK.

09/05/04  1:23pm
Sorry, No Replies

Puffbaby
View Profile

Message To: Liz01   In reference to Message Id: 136717

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

Oh good. I guess nature will just do her thing. Then to answer your question about healing. I am no vet, so I don’t know how acurate I am with my thoughts, but I would figure at least 6 weeks before she is feeling back to normal. Also that would depend on her health before the accident. Maybe a little sooner or a little longer. But, all we can do I guess is pray that she heals with everything where it should be. You know, no cross bite or stuff like that. I think animals adapt pretty well to handicaps. There are some members with tail less beardies, and some missing limbs and the little fellows seem to deal with things just fine. Poor little girl. I am sure she will be just fine, but still try to keep her quiet and not re-injure what has healed so far. I have had and have lots of critters so I am just going by my own experiences with bump, breaks and bruises! Hope this has helped. I am sure she is going to be fine. You are doing a really good job. Joan and Puffy

09/05/04  1:32pm
Sorry, No Replies

Liz01
View Profile

Message To: Puffbaby   In reference to Message Id: 136727

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

Well its been 2 weeks and 4 days since the accident and Liz has developed complications. In her mouth near the break she has developed a round fleshy bubble. The vet finally wanted to see her, although she wasn’t much help and almost made things worse. It really scared me when she pulled down on the broken side of Liz’s jaw even after I told her to open her mouth from the other side. Thankfully her jaw has healed enough and didn’t appear to break again. I was hoping she would know more about bearded dragons. I think the advise I got here has been more helpful. The vet did put Liz on antibiotics - Baytril injections - 6 total to be given every 12 hours. Before the sore developed Liz was doing very well. She was eating a lot of her baby food/soft pellet mixture. I don’t think she reabsorbed her eggs because she has become rather large. This is a second complication. I dug her a hole and she made it perfect then sat in it for 5 hours. I think she fell asleep. I had to dig her out - I wasn’t going to leave her outside all night. We use a big stock tank filled with dirt and covered with a screen. Our Beardies just love it! They are so happy with the room to run and natural sunlight. The only downfall is rain, which can cause the tank to flood. I had Liz in a brand new screen cage while the tank was drying when the accident happened. Anyways, I offer her a place to lay her eggs every day and hopefully she will not have any problems with egg binding. The last thing I want to put her through is surgery to have the eggs removed. Thanks again for all your comments.

09/17/04  11:20am
Sorry, No Replies

Puffbaby
View Profile

Message To: Liz01   In reference to Message Id: 143697

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

Gee Liz, I don’t know if I would be comfortable putting these guys on dirt! There could be a lot of parasites and unseen thingy’s I would think. They don’t require humidity either. I would like to hear what others have to say. But, sure is good news that your little girl is doing better, well, other than the bubble thing! Joan2

09/17/04  4:00pm
Sorry, No Replies

DragonKing
View Profile

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

Hi Liz, My BD broke its jaw a while ago now, and yes its quite a shock to see its jaw bone sticking out through its mouth! it did it by running around and always bumping in to things! Anyway i immediatly phoned the vet and they said to keep it on its own and calm and they would see it the following morning...
when i woke the next day the BD had realigned its jaw by itself and was looking alot happier, didnt seem to mind at all. I took it to the vet and all they said to do was to keep it seperate from the other one and to keep an eye on it for a while for things like infection and stuff. it healed remarkably quickly and was feeding in no time at all as if nothing had happened!
So try not to worry too much as they seem to heal far better than us!

10/04/04  2:15pm
Sorry, No Replies

Holly11
View Profile

Message To: Liz01   In reference to Message Id: 143697

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

Hi. I’m new to the boards and want you to know that I hope that Liz gets better soon. I would be so upset if that happened to my new beardie.. I just got Rex 3 weeks ago and the whole family loves him. By the way. Rex could be a Rexanne. How soon can you tell if they’re male of female? Again.. Hope Liz recovers nicely.

10/04/04  5:11pm
Sorry, No Replies

SpeacilK
View Profile

Message To: Holly11   In reference to Message Id: 154763

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

bump, how is he doing?

10/06/04  6:35pm
Sorry, No Replies

Puffbaby
View Profile

Message To: SpeacilK   In reference to Message Id: 156303

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

welcome Holly! Glad you are luvin your new buddy! They are pretty special little guys. Sexing can bew difficult is you have a baby. I you look at some of the past posts, you will find some pics that will show you. Basically, you have to carefully lift their tails up to expose the vent area. Little boys have two bumps in each side, the little girls have one above. I hope I explained this OK. Look for the pics and that will help.

10/06/04  7:02pm
Sorry, No Replies

SpeacilK
View Profile

Message To: Puffbaby   In reference to Message Id: 156317

BROKEN JAW -- NEED HELP

OH NO. you didn’t post Joan2. is nothing sacred anymore. lol. j/k

10/06/04  8:19pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area