Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Mk17rules   Mk17rules   Faery   Pe   Mk17rules   JustinZanderRyan  
 Member  Message

Mk17rules
View Profile

Dragon with undebite

i recently was givin a beardie female. she has an under bite anyone got any eas what would cause this?

11/22/07  07:27pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 1523305

Dragon with underbite

sorry typing is bad today she has an underbite.

11/22/07  07:29pm

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 1523306

Dragon with underbite

Is Her jaw soft? Can You post a picture?

11/22/07  08:06pm

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 1523305

Dragon with undebite

If your dragon has an underbite it is most likely caused by MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease). It is usually caused by poor diet, lack of calcium, lack of UVB (to produce Vitamin D3 to metabolize calcium), or a combination of them.

Depending on the severity and how long the dragon has had the condition, some can be reversed. We have a story on here about it with photos. I post the link below this. You need to increase calcium intake and provide a good UVB source. The sun is the best, but if you are in an area where it is too cold, then a Mercury Vapor UV Bulb will work. I would take an easy on high protein from insects since protein forces the body to excrete calcium through urine. On one dragon we used T-rex Bone-Aid liquid calcium. Feed your dragon a variety of staple foods such as turnip greens, dandelion greens, collard greens, chicory, mustard greens, and butternut squash.

Dragon with MBD

Good Luck
PE

11/23/07  02:30pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 1523925

Dragon with undebite

thank you very much that helps me out alot my dragons underbite is not as severe as yours looked in the picso i will try the suggestions thats a great success story congrats on the healthy bd.

11/23/07  08:34pm

JustinZanderRyan
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 1523925

Dragon with undebite

.I agree with MK, reading that story about your dragon helped me to know that I can take good care of mine and am looking into what you used for yours, I have the pellets, Iím going to get that liquid calcium, but my question is how do I get her to eat on her own? I have been feeding her baby food and I think she kinda likes that to some point, but yes that was very useful information, thanks for sharing

11/23/07  10:06pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area