Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Amandajane   SpeacilK   Heartmountain   Amandajane   Heartmountain   Amandajane   Pamula   Xta   Amandajane   Amandajane   Amandajane   Robyn   Joani   Amandajane   Xta   Joani   Amandajane  
 Member  Message

Amandajane
View Profile

Confuuuused :S

After my visit to a pet shop today I am thoroughly confused about many things, so I thought I wld ask u experts for ur opinion :D I’ve heard many conflicting things about heat mats an whether they’re appropriate for beardies so wat do ppl think? If there’s anyone here that uses one how do they think they are? what other form of heating could I use to keep my temps up at night? There isn’t another bulb fixture in the viv I’m getting so how wld I rig up a non -light emmitting heat bulb if this is the best form of heat?
Also how does the stat work with whatever heat form I choose, does it keep the heat form calibrated in between 2 temps say 65-75, then the basking lamp brings the overall temp of the high point in the viv up to 100 ish? Oooh I’m so confused about these things, could someone kindly please tell me in basic language how I set all this up!
Sorry if I’m being really dumb, and thanks loads for your help

10/24/04  6:17pm
Sorry, No Replies

SpeacilK
View Profile

Message To: Amandajane   In reference to Message Id: 169336

well i am none to wise about the lighting but heat mats/pads/rocks whatever you call them are bad. they will burn your dragons insides without you knowing. they do not give or recieve heat through their stomachs so it is not needed.

10/24/04  6:22pm
Sorry, No Replies

Heartmountain
View Profile

Beardies heat should come from above, it’s the only way they can sense and dispurse it. Night time temps can drop into the low 60s with no problems so most people won’t need additional heat at night. If you do need it the ceramic heat emmiters are a good way to go. Just put them in one of those metal hood reflectors and point them at the basking spot, no thermostat needed just adjust it up and down until you get the right temps.

Sean

10/24/04  6:31pm
Sorry, No Replies

Amandajane
View Profile

Message To: Heartmountain   In reference to Message Id: 169347

oh wow ok I didnt realise it wld be that easy, clearly the pet shops are just trying to get more money out of me It annoys me so much, you’re supposed to be able to trust pet stores but they really do seem like they don’t know anything
just another question how would I set up the ceramic heater? :S Like how would I hang it in the viv? Is it just like a bulb? Many thanks for all your excellant help.

10/24/04  6:38pm
Sorry, No Replies

Heartmountain
View Profile

Message To: Amandajane   In reference to Message Id: 169353

Ya they screw in to a regular light socket. I’d get one of those clamp on light fixtures with the metal hoods and start there.

Sean

10/24/04  6:41pm
Sorry, No Replies

Amandajane
View Profile

Message To: Heartmountain   In reference to Message Id: 169356

Ok will do, do you think it’s ok to buy this stuff over the internet? I wld rather choose it myself but I know if I get it from a pet shop I’ll end up getting loads of stuff I won’t need. Thanks so much for your help, I trust you guys a whole lot more than ppl who are actually responsible for caring for these poor creatures!

10/24/04  6:50pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pamula
View Profile

Message To: Amandajane   In reference to Message Id: 169362

There are several good sites, like www.petguys.com, LLLReptile, Big Apple Herp, and The Bean Farm, where you can buy supplies over the ’net.

Money-saving tips:
I use 100-watt incandescents for day heat (just your normal bulbs, but don’t use "softwhite" or "reveal", use the cheap kind, they emit more heat) and fasten them inside ceramic-socket clamps. You can find the clamps at Wal-Mart too, also Home Depot - just make sure you get the ceramic ones if you are using over 60-watt bulbs. For UV lighting fixtures, you can use under-counter flourescent fixtures (again, Wal-Mart, about 6-8 bucks) without the frosted plastic, or ESU - I think that’s the brand - sells fixtures with UV bulbs already in place, and when the light needs to be changed, the fixture is reusable. Change the UV bulbs every 3-4 months.
I try to use Zoo-Med Reptisun 5.0 bulbs, and supplement often with natural sunlight.
You can also use Mercury Vapor bulbs - they combine heat AND light, but you have to hang them from a fixture - you can’t let them rest on anything or sit at an angle - and I’m just not that handy....
Night bulbs have to be purchased from a reptile supplier, I either wait for a local reptile show, or purchase them at (ugh) Petsmart. It’s more cost-effective than paying shipping.

10/24/04  7:01pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Recommended night heat ideas are ceramic heat emitters (CHEs) or Radient heat panels (more expensive). I’ve had my CHE for years now and it is still going strong. It was worth every penny. Make sure to check temps and get a good fixture because they get hot. Also, how cold does your house get? Most of the time you can get away with no night heat for your beardie. I have to use one for my iguana but don’t use night heat anymore for the beardie as he prefers it cooler (and I live in FL).

10/24/04  7:14pm
Sorry, No Replies

Amandajane
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 169384

I’m thinking def go with the MV bulbs, they seem much more effective, I duno.. The temps at night here will drop to easily below 50 in winter, summer fine I wld imagine but I wld def need something for night-time don’t u think? For ages I was gona get a heat mat but now it wld appear I have to change my whole beliefs lol, do u think heat mats are an English kind of thing? Coz every literature I have read here says that heat mats are ok but Im more inclined to believe u guys!I don’t know wat to think now though :( I would prefer to use a CHE but is it ok to not have this controlled by any kind of thermostat? I am wary of using my heat source without a stat coz this way I can’t control it, do u guys think it wld be a prob? I gota say I don’t know what I wld do without ur help!

10/25/04  7:43am
Sorry, No Replies

Amandajane
View Profile

Message To: Amandajane   In reference to Message Id: 169741

bump.. and another thing, the D3 compact reptile lamps can’t be used as a basking lamp can they? or can they?!

10/25/04  10:19am
Sorry, No Replies

Amandajane
View Profile

Message To: Amandajane   In reference to Message Id: 169780

bump... and one more thing (really do think I’ve finished now!) how does a clamp lamp work? If u have any answers or suggestions on anything I’d be extremely grateful! Thank you loads for all your help!

10/25/04  1:32pm
Sorry, No Replies

Robyn
View Profile

Message To: Amandajane   In reference to Message Id: 169859

I just have mine placed on top of the screen cover, I think there are polls that you can buy to attach them to.

10/25/04  1:42pm
Sorry, No Replies

Joani
View Profile

Message To: Robyn   In reference to Message Id: 169864

Hello and welcome to the forum! It has helped a lot of us. Most pet stores sadly, can’t always be trusted to give the right info. The info given to you here has been excellent. You can also learn a lot about the correct feeding and substrate. That is another area where pet stores can sadly be lacking. I love to tell new members to go to www.beautifuldragons.com for great diet info. I will go now and leave you in very capable hands....Joan (without Puffy)

10/25/04  2:59pm
Sorry, No Replies

Amandajane
View Profile

Message To: Joani   In reference to Message Id: 169882

Ah I know, I am so chuffed I found this site, I can totally trust these guys more than I can my own pet shops! Have been to beautifuldragons.com, thats a grrrreat site too. How are u coping without ur gorge puffy!!!!

10/25/04  7:02pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Message To: Amandajane   In reference to Message Id: 169741

Is it 50 in your house? If it is, then I guess I’d use some night heat. (brrrr...that would be too cold to have it that temp inside for me). I am not sure how CHEs do on a thermostat. I know you shouldn’t use them for MV bulbs, but I cannot remember anything one way or the other for CHEs. I wouldn’t think it would be a problem but you should do a search online to be sure. If you check temps (at maximum heat and make sure the lamp is far enough away) I think you’d be fine w/o any controller.

10/25/04  7:26pm
Sorry, No Replies

Joani
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 170025

I miss my Puffy, but he is with a wonderful family that I met here on the forum! They are the best! So I know he is in the best of hands! He may be comin home with a baby sister from there!! I look forward to talking more when i return to the Great White North. In the mean time, Aloha from Kauai Hawaii!!! Joan (aka Puffbaby)

10/26/04  12:55am
Sorry, No Replies

Amandajane
View Profile

Message To: Joani   In reference to Message Id: 170301

your telling me its chilly! It is sooo hard to get out of bed sometimes! Thats why I thought I’d need another heater, dnt want the poor beardie freezing his tail off! will get basics first then add on bits if an when I need to. Ah Joan it sounds lovely! How I wish I was in Hawaii!! (only holiday-ish smiley there is!)

10/26/04  12:52pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area