Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Ray_Cottrell   Lovetheleo   Ray_Cottrell   Ray_Cottrell   BambiRabbit   Ray_Cottrell   BambiRabbit   Ray_Cottrell   BambiRabbit   Ray_Cottrell   Newfgal   Ray_Cottrell   Ray_Cottrell   Squid  
 Member  Message

Ray_Cottrell
View Profile

Please Help! Bearded Dragon Acting Very Weird and Aggressive!

I have a female bearded dragon that is about 5 months old. Tonight she has been acting very weird. Actually she just started this about 3 hours ago. She was looking straight up at her light for about 30 minutes and then she started to run around. After that she puffed out her throat and it turned pitch black with white spots on it. She wont put her throat back in and she is completely flat. She is moving really slow and crawling and not walking. Every time I try to pick her up she starts to open her mouth like shes about to bite. She has never been aggressive or slow moving. Now shes doing both. PLEASE let me know what this might be. I’m pretty scared.

03/28/09  09:07pm

Lovetheleo
View Profile

Message To: Ray_Cottrell   In reference to Message Id: 1976273

sounds like she might have seen something and it scared her

do you have any other animals or can she see out a window?

anything new in the house?

03/28/09  09:10pm

Ray_Cottrell
View Profile

Message To: Lovetheleo   In reference to Message Id: 1976276

my friend came over and hes a pretty big guy. i have a leopard gecko and another bearded dragon. She cant see the leopard gecko but she can kind of see the other bearded dragon. She was crawling around like her back legs were not working.

03/28/09  09:12pm

Ray_Cottrell
View Profile

Message To: Lovetheleo   In reference to Message Id: 1976276

She is starting to calm down now. My girlfriend and I are holding her and shes relaxed and just laying in our hands. That was a little bit of a scare.

03/28/09  09:40pm

BambiRabbit
View Profile

Wow that is really strange, I hope someone who knows more about Beardies has some answers to your question.

My Beardie did something similar yesterday; he is 6 months old, and he kept opening his mouth (as if he was yawning) and puffing his throat, his beard turned darker (not pitch black though) with dark stripes down his belly, and he began running around his cage and glass dancing. He did this until I took him out and let him run around the apartment (I think he was just antsy and got a taste of being out his cage from me taking him out all the time).

I’m sorry to hear she won’t let you pick her up. I agree, maybe she got scared. Looking at the light seems kinda odd, what sort of lighting do you use and what are the temps?

03/28/09  09:41pm

Ray_Cottrell
View Profile

Message To: BambiRabbit   In reference to Message Id: 1976295

I have the proper UVB lighting and a 100 heating bulb in a refection fixture. The temp is about 90 degrees in her warm spot and around 75 in the colder part. Its a 50 gallon thats about 3 feet long 18" deep and about 18" high.

03/28/09  09:46pm

BambiRabbit
View Profile

Message To: Ray_Cottrell   In reference to Message Id: 1976299

From what everyone tells me, the basking end is supposed to be at about 110. Try raising the basking temp. I was more thinking maybe the temperature was too high, and that’s why your girl was acting weird, but hmm.

What do you use to measure the temperature with? Do you know the humidity?

03/28/09  09:48pm

Ray_Cottrell
View Profile

Message To: BambiRabbit   In reference to Message Id: 1976303

I use a reptile temp gauge. I have a very good breeder that helped me with my setup and heating and everything. Im not sure the humidity. My breeder has been helping me to ensure the best for my beardies. They are very healthy. I see some people say 90-100 I see others that say 100-110. The Uromastyx I know like it at 110+ but the beardies like it a little less than them. The only reason I listen to my breeder on a lot of things is because he has many beardies that are over 10 years old and are living happy healthy lives. Both beardies are in 50 gallons with 100 heat bulbs and deep uvb lights because of the height of the enclosures. Right now we have her running on the bed and her throat returned to the light color it was and shes being very interested in the laptop im typing on lol.

03/28/09  09:55pm

BambiRabbit
View Profile

Message To: Ray_Cottrell   In reference to Message Id: 1976313

Hehe maybe she is suffering from the same case as my Alexi:
Itchy to get out of the cage syndrome! LOL.

03/28/09  10:02pm

Ray_Cottrell
View Profile

Message To: BambiRabbit   In reference to Message Id: 1976318

Well I was trying to take her out and she was freaking out about it. Now the shes out shes happy and we cant keep up with her!

03/28/09  10:03pm

Newfgal
View Profile

Hi there,

You stated to have a uvb but which brand is it and how old? Some of them have been causing serious health issues like all compact and coiled uvb’s, as well as the ReptiGlo 10 tube, so if you have either one of those please shut it off and get the ReptiSun 10 long tube, or a MVB since youe tank is large enough for one...

Do you offer supliments as well? If so which ones and how often do you offer them? It worries me that she was dragging her back legs, thats not normal....

As long as the temps do not go over 110f, thats good. Any higher and it will leave your beardie dehydrated and slow down the GI tract movements.

Nancy

03/29/09  06:41am

Ray_Cottrell
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 1976433

It is a reptisun tube light for the UVB. I give them calcium dust on there crickets with other vitamins. I also give them baths once or twice a week so they can get water. They also have water in there enclosure.

03/30/09  10:26pm

Ray_Cottrell
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 1976433

She also stopped dragging her legs. That was a one time thing that scared me really bad. Shes back to normal now and shes eating well and being very playful.

03/30/09  10:27pm

Squid
View Profile

Message To: Ray_Cottrell   In reference to Message Id: 1977581

These are part of the breeding rituals and territorial behaviors. She is just horny haha how old is she?
Or she saw the other bearded dragon and freaked out.

03/30/09  10:52pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area