Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

J4me5   Lennifer   Lennifer   Newbeardie   Cold Blooded Kisser   Newbeardie   DragonKeeper86   Newfgal   Lennifer   J4me5  
 Member  Message

J4me5
View Profile

NEW BEARDED DRAGON!

Hi everyone,
u just got my new bearded dragon hatchling. It has some orange on its back, so if any of u guys knows what kind of morph that is can u tell me?

Also, i know most of the basics with the set up and lighting but im not that sure about the temps and what time during the day to feed them and also what kind of veggies to feed them. I recently bought a ton of phoenix worms for my leopard geckos, but all of them hate it one of them bit into one and then spit it out and rubbed his face in the the ground.
I heard that bearded dragons on the other hand love PW so i plan on using the PWs as a staple for my bearded dragon. Also do i just dust the insects with vitamins once a week?

05/11/09  12:28pm

Lennifer
View Profile

Message To: J4me5   In reference to Message Id: 2002393

NEW BEARDED DRAGON!

Congrats on your new addition & welcome to the forums

Unfortunately, we will not be able to tell u what kind of morph u have.

U will need to offer him/her a morning salad which should consist of any or all of the following....mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, collard greens, acorn squash & butternut squash. U can also check out Beautiful Dragons.com for a list of good & bad nutrition. You should be offering live feeders (crickets, silk worms or Discoid, Lobster or Laterails roaches) 2-3 times per day, as much as he can eat within 10-15 minutes. You will also need to dust his feeders with a calcium & multi vitamin through out the week. Here is an example of how dusting should be...

Between the ages of 2-4 months:
Dust their prey with plain calcium powder twice a day.
Dust their prey with vitamin powder twice a week.

Between the ages of 4-8 months:
Dust their prey with plain calcium powder once a day.
Dust their prey with vitamin powder once a week.

Between the ages of 8 months on:
Dust their prey with plain calcium powder two times a week.
Dust their prey with vitamin powder once a week.

U will need to be sure to have a UVB lighting source. The best recommended light is the ReptiSun 10, long tube that should stretch across the entire length of tank. If you have trouble finding this in pet stores, u can purchase one on line @ LLLReptile for pretty good prices

~Sandy

05/11/09  01:27pm

Lennifer
View Profile

Message To: Lennifer   In reference to Message Id: 2002424

NEW BEARDED DRAGON!

I forgot to add that lighting should be on for 12 hrs a day & off for 12 hrs a day. U will not need to provide any heat at night unless your house temps drop below 65 degrees. If so, u can purchase a ceramic heat emitter. The emitter will provide only heat, no light. At a younger age, it is best to keep your basking spot temp between 110-115. I think I answered all your questions?! lol

~Sandy

05/11/09  01:33pm

Newbeardie
View Profile

NEW BEARDED DRAGON!

Hey,

I don’t know what morph that is, I would like to say Fancy if that is a morph lol=] i’m also new to this but I bought a bd about a month ago and it has orange on its back and they sold it to me as a Fancy BD so i’m guessing thats what you have. If it’s a baby I think the basking needs to be like 110 and also have a cool down area, you need the UVB REPTISUN 10.0 NOT REPTIGLO OR A COMPACT COMPACTS ARE BADDDDDDD!!! For veggies there are a bunch that you can feed him, for staple veggies I feed mine dandelion greens, turnip greens, and collards. I also throw some veggies in there like broccoli, carrots, and peas. And you can also throw some fruit in there every now and then like kiwi, apples, grapes. But what I like to do is gutload my crix with the vegies and fruits becuase you don’t want to give your bd alot of fruits all the time so I gutload my crix with that. So whatever your thinking of feeding you bd for a salad throw in the with the crix to gutload them. I have no idea about the PW situation, never heard of them so I can’t help you with them. Like i’ve researched for awhile and never saw anything about them so sorry about that. And for the dusting of the insects your going to need pure calcium without D3 and some phosphorus also to dust them with everytime you feed them I believe, or at least thats what I do so if i’m doing it wrong someone please correct me lol=D and they need a multivitamin once a week. But I would suggest you message Newfgal, shes like god with these bds she knows everything and is very very experienced from what I read when she posts. So definitely message her!!

Your Welcome!
Shane Evans

05/11/09  01:35pm

Cold Blooded Kisser
View Profile

Message To: Newbeardie   In reference to Message Id: 2002432

NEW BEARDED DRAGON!

Hey J4me5!

Congratulations on your new beardie!!

Although I do agree Nancy is a great with her advice here, Sandy’s advice was spot on and I don’t really see a need at this moment to PM Nancy. That is unless you really want to..........just my two cents.

As to phoenix worms, they’re okay as a feeder. The downfall is that a beardie could easily eat 50 in one sitting because they are so small and with how expensive they are you might want to switch to a different feeder once you run out.

Would love to see pictures.

Enjoy!

Holly

05/11/09  01:57pm

Newbeardie
View Profile

Message To: Cold Blooded Kisser   In reference to Message Id: 2002436

NEW BEARDED DRAGON!

I didn’t get to see Lennifers advice when I posted my message lol. I guess we must have posted it around the same time becuase when I started posting there was no other posts. But yea that was great advice, my bad=]

05/11/09  05:39pm

DragonKeeper86
View Profile

Message To: Newbeardie   In reference to Message Id: 2002564

NEW BEARDED DRAGON!

All the advice was good... just to add to the question as to what morph it is... Its impossible to tell you exactly what it is without knowing the lineage of the parents. Unless you got it from a breeder... which Im guessing you didn’t or you would know... theres no way to tell. Pet stores don’t really care what kind it is as long as people buy them. "Fancy" is basically a way of saying... not normal lol. Petco/Petsmart sell corn snakes and other reptiles as "fancy’s" as well, because they just get a mix and really have no idea what their doing so they just lump them all together at one price. Sometimes you can get a decent deal, or sometimes pay $70 for a normal corn... its really just how knowledgeable you are. Sometimes though... even the most plain looking brown babies of certain morphs turn out to be the most vibrantly orange/red/yellow colored for example. This actually happens quite often.

05/12/09  12:37am

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: DragonKeeper86   In reference to Message Id: 2002784

NEW BEARDED DRAGON!

Good job Sandy! I couldn’t have put it any better, LOL....

Nancy :)

05/12/09  05:04am

Lennifer
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2002836

NEW BEARDED DRAGON!

Thanks Holly & Nancy!.... & Good morning BTW lol

~Sandy

05/12/09  09:23am

J4me5
View Profile

NEW BEARDED DRAGON!

Thank u guys for all of the advice. I currently have my bearded dragon eating phoenix worms and im feeding him/her Collard greens. He/she doesnt eat too much of the greens but h/she eats a lot of the PW’s h/she is only about 2 inches long.
Ill post up the pics soon ^_^

05/12/09  10:16am

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area