Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Keeper of Zeek   Dragon Lover   Keeper of Zeek   Newfgal   Keeper of Zeek   Keeper of Zeek   Newfgal   Keeper of Zeek   Dragon Lover   Newfgal   Cold Blooded Kisser   Newfgal   Keeper of Zeek   Newfgal   Keeper of Zeek   Keeper of Zeek   Newfgal   Newfgal   Keeper of Zeek   Mk_ms_reptile   Keeper of Zeek   Mk_ms_reptile   Newfgal   Keeper of Zeek  
 Member  Message

Keeper of Zeek
View Profile

My baby beardie won’t open his eyes!

Ive kept other reptiles before, mainly turtles, but i recently bought my first bearded dragon from a local pet store about 3 days ago. The first day I brought it home he was as lively as ever, until about yesterday when I noticed he started to constantly keep his eyes closed. I thought maybe he was basking, but around feeding time he would only briefly open his eyes, and when he noticed his crickets, he just ignored them and shut his eyes again. At the time I was using sand for bedding, and thought maybe he either got sand in his eyes or was shedding. So, I bathed him in warm water (not hot, about the temperature you would put a human baby in) and let him soak for a little bit, while i gently drizzled water on his back and head. After bathing him, I gently dabbed a dry towel on him to dry him off. Shortly after I then poured out the sand and put in paper towels for temporary bedding (I am now aware that sand can cause impaction, especially with babies, but I was told it was the best bedding to use and figured "eh, hes from the desert, it makes sense". Hes not impacted and I now use the repti-carpet or whatever you want to call it.) The soaking only helped briefly, and he was then back to closing his eyes. The only time he opens them is when hes picked up, and even then its only briefly. I never leave crickets in the tank, and he does not appear to have mites or any sort of bugs on his body. I then turned my attention to the lighting, and found out about an illness known as photo-kerato-conjunctivitis. Its basically welders arc flash, or snow blindness for skiers. Its cause by a few MVB’s and some UVB bulbs. At the time, i was using a UVB 10.0 20 watt bulb (again, suggested by the pet store employees) and thought this to be the culprit. So, i turned it off yesterday afternoon and am keeping it off for another day or so, since photo-kerato-conjunctivitis clears up in about 2-3 days. I mist him to keep him hydrated, but my main concern is his lack of food intake. With his eyes in pain, he does not attempt to hunt, and i constantly fear he will not survive the passing of the illness. Please, if anyone has any advice or opinions, feel free to arm me with your knowledge. I do apologize to those of you who took the time to read this long post, but I was hoping to give out the best possible information on the subject to ensure good understanding. Also, for anyone who has not heard of photo-kerato-conjunctivitis, here is a site with information about it http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

05/14/09  07:52pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of Zeek   In reference to Message Id: 2004674

Hey,

As far as the eating, they usually take a few days to start eating regularly.....you know, getting used to the new environment and stuff. His keeping his eyes closed could be the cause of the compact UV bulb. If indeed this is the case, he should be fine in a few days, since you turned it off. Have you tried putting the cricket or maybe a silk or wax worm by his mouth? You can try that or you can get a jar of baby food chicken and veggies or banana squash. Put some on the tip of his nose with a spoon and let him lap it up.

I hope this helps,
Edel

05/15/09  12:47am

Keeper of Zeek
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2004914

yea, ive tried getting him to eat and he just ignores the food. I will try the baby food, any specific suggestions as far as brands or things not to get? Also, i need to get a new lighting/heating set up, but i just dont know of an affordable and healthy setup. Any ideas? you know, something not too expensive and yet will keep him happy and healthy. Any advice you can give for lights and heating would be awesome, like what you use for example, or maybe something for beginners thats not too pricey.

05/15/09  10:36am

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of Zeek   In reference to Message Id: 2005042

Hey, I answered your other post on the ReptiGlo 10 tube thread....

Nancy :)

05/15/09  11:28am

Keeper of Zeek
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2005058

Thanks Nancy :)

05/15/09  02:18pm

Keeper of Zeek
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of Zeek   In reference to Message Id: 2005147

Zeek has recovered from his blindness and is now happier than the day i brought him home! I bought a repti-sun 10.0 UVB bulb, which from my understanding is pretty safe. Thanks to everyone who has helped me nurse Zeek through this.

05/15/09  11:17pm

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of Zeek   In reference to Message Id: 2005448

Awww, thats great news...I am sure he will be ok now :)

Nancy

05/16/09  06:04am

Keeper of Zeek
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2005516

yep, his eyes are wide open and hes more than happy to be picked up :) and, theres a sweet deal going on at this pet store, 55 gallon tank for 45 bucks! i mean, sure its used but it wasnt in horrible condition or anything. in fact, i couldnt even tell it was used. By the way, ive been trying some new veggies for Zeek, but hes not too crazy about em. I know squash is nice, good for hydration and its colorful :) but would you suggest anything else mixed with it?

05/16/09  07:56pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of Zeek   In reference to Message Id: 2005951

OMG That is such Wonderful News!!!!! I am so glad he is doing well.

I usually mix the squash with their greens and sometime top it with some beets (fresh/shredded) or sometimes a berry or two.

Edel

05/16/09  09:41pm

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2006023

I usually top mine with a piece or two of strawberry as well, they go nuts for it, lol...All beardies are different though, so you can try different things until you find something your beardie will really like...Good luck!

05/17/09  05:20am

Cold Blooded Kisser
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2006197

Hello,

That’s great news that your beardie is doing better! Good job!

Quote:

55 gallon tank for 45 bucks

I am sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken but I think a 55 gallon tank is to narrow for an adult beardie.

Holly

05/17/09  06:29am

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Cold Blooded Kisser   In reference to Message Id: 2006206

Yes, you are right about that Holly, I forgot to menchine that. An adult beardie will need a tank at least 2 feet wide so it can turn around without touching the sides of the tank. A 40 gallon breeder would do, 36x18x18, but bigger is always better for these guys as they love and need their floor space :)

Nancy

05/17/09  07:13am

Keeper of Zeek
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2006209

true, but hey, its 1 inch wider, and twice as long as his old one. and for such a low price for a tank that big, i had to buy it. Im now concerned about his heating and lighting though. Before i bought this tank and right after his eyes got better, i replaced his repti glo 10.0 UVB light with the repti sun 10.0 UVB. So now He has the Repti sun 10.0 UVB, a ceramic spot bulb for heat and a repti basking spot lamp for additional heating. I have it set up like this: Ceramic and basking spot lamps evenly spaced on the left-middle of the tank in his hot zone and the UVB light on the right/middle near his cool zone. hot side temps are 100 and the cooler side is about 85 during the day. Does this sound acceptable? Oh, and yesterday was soo exciting! I chopped up some squash and mustard greens then mixed it with some exo terra dragon pellets (just a few) and he LOVED it! I was soo excited to see him eat his first bowl of veggies! :)

05/17/09  12:54pm

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of Zeek   In reference to Message Id: 2006345

Quote:

hot side temps are 100 and the cooler side is about 85 during the day. Does this sound acceptable?

Not for the basking spot. For a baby it should be at least 110f. The heat emitter is not really needed either, they do provide heat but no light which will effect a beardies behavior, and eating habits. I would replace it for a house hold bulb, they give off alot of heat as well, or get a regular flood light, at least it will be nice and bright.

Glad to hear he ate his vegies, thats great!

05/17/09  02:23pm

Keeper of Zeek
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2006394

Yea. I dont know, just the word "brightness" makes me nervous ever since he went blind. His cage isnt too dark, but maybe your right. I just get soo paranoid every time he closes his eyes. Because the tank was soo tall, I set it up so that the lamps are inside the cage, about 10 inches from the bottom of it. that way the UVB rays reach him, and its still too high for him to climb on. Which of the bulbs would you suggest, house hold or flood? Its just hard to stop and realize its not the brightness of the old UVB bulb that blinded him, its the rays that it did not filter out.

05/17/09  03:24pm

Keeper of Zeek
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of Zeek   In reference to Message Id: 2006424

You know what, i think im going to buy an MVB. I can set it up like this, from left to right: MVB, basking light, household bulb (if its not bright/hot enough). whatcha think? I decided on the MVB because its great for heat and they are a pretty safe source of UVB. I was gonna go with power sun, but what do you guys think?

05/17/09  04:10pm

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of Zeek   In reference to Message Id: 2006447

MVB’s are great, but you need at least a 40 gallon breeder tank to have one or your beardie will over heat which can kill them. They emitt such high levels of heat and UVB that you may not need another heat source at all unless you have a 6 foot long tank like me, lol...The best ones are either the MegaRay, or the T-Rex flood MVB’s. The others do not compair to these...100whatt MVB’s must be 12" away from the beardie as well, and higher whattages even further.

Your baby eye issues had to do with the harmful bulb you were using, the coating that was placed on the bulb when they were being made was a wrong mix, and therefore emitting alot of harmful UVC, and little to no UVB. Regular bulbs or brightness you have nothing to worry about...

Nancy

05/17/09  07:12pm

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2006559

Hey, I just read on another thread the ReptiSun you have is a compact? Those are very harmful as well, please shut it off asap...link

This is the one you need....link

And it should run the whole length of the top of the cage, and he needs to beable to get 6-8" from it...

Nancy

05/17/09  07:16pm

Keeper of Zeek
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2006562

yea, i took it out and just went with the MVB. now hes got the power sun 100 watt. i keep it 12 inches away from his hot zone, but it was still too cold in there for him, so i bought 2 75 watt basking bulbs. now in his hot zone hes running at about 110 and 85 in the cool zone.

05/18/09  12:57pm

Mk_ms_reptile
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of Zeek   In reference to Message Id: 2007028

I had the eye thing with my baby beardie. It was from a vitamin A deficiency due to the pet shop’s ignorance. I adopted him for free from them because they didn’t know what to do with him. Glad to know yours is doing much better though. =) It’s amazing what a good diet and proper lighting does for them.

05/18/09  01:07pm

Keeper of Zeek
View Profile

Message To: Mk_ms_reptile   In reference to Message Id: 2007033

see now im worried again tho. I put him on the repti sun for ONE day, and it damaged his eyes again (it was the bulb style, not the tube). I know what to do in order to feed and hydrate him, but im stumped. I bought a MVB to replace the repti sun, but i dont know if it should be on while his eyes are healing. I mean, common sense would tell me "hey, his eyes are hurn, turn the light off. duh" but it was the harmful UVC rays emitted from the other bulbs that caused it, which the MVB does NOT emit. So, shouldnt i be able to keep the MVB on while he heals?

05/18/09  03:00pm

Mk_ms_reptile
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of Zeek   In reference to Message Id: 2007089

To tell you the truth, I’m not too familiar with MVBs as of yet. I haven’t had time to really do research on them. From what I understand it should be okay. AS I said though I don’t know much about them as of yet.

05/18/09  03:29pm

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of Zeek   In reference to Message Id: 2007089

Yes, I have heard a few people say the powersuns do not get hot enough, you wouldn’t have that problem with a MegaRay or a T-Rex, those are the best.

If he is closing his eyes again, shut off the UVB for a few days and give him time to heal, he will be ok without it for a few days. If he was under the harmful lighting for a long time, I would suggest keeping the UVB off for a week or so...It helps...

05/19/09  06:03am

Keeper of Zeek
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2007413

its true, the power suns dont get that hot. so, i put the powersun and a basking bulb on the left side for heat, its at 110, and a lower watt basking bulb on the right side which keeps it at a comfy 85. But, since his eyes seem to be hurting, im going to turn the MVB off until they get better, at which point he should be able to handle UVB again.

05/19/09  11:08am

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area