Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Squid   Newfgal   Dragon Lover   Squid   Dragon Lover   Squid   Mobcity   The roadrunner   Squid   Dragon Lover   The roadrunner   Reptilentity   Squid   Chrlea  
 Member  Message

Squid
View Profile

Cactus Fruit (Prickly Pear)

So I found that the small Mexican fruit stand by my house occasionally has these. They are a recommended staple on beatifuldragons. com and it really seems like something they would eat in the wild so I’d like to start feeding them to my dragons!
Here is my question, what about the seeds?! These things are loaded with hard seeds (I couldn’t bite it with my teeth) but I did read that they can be eaten by humans. So can the dragons eat them? Would they just swallow them and digest it?
These are what the ones I got look like..

Thanks!

09/18/09  02:05am

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Squid   In reference to Message Id: 2073200

Hi Squid,

I can’t get those here unfortunately, but I wouldn’t feed the seeds, I would think they would be a little hard to pass, how big are the seeds anyway?

Nancy

09/18/09  06:16am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2073234

Your dragon will have no problems digesting the seeds. They’re tiny seeds all over the fruit. I feed it all the time. It’s ok and they love it. Very Yummy Fruit. Make sure you try it as well. Be careful, the juices will stain your clothing.

Edel

09/18/09  01:52pm

Squid
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2073326

Hey,
yeah we ate one for ourselves! Its yummy! I wouldn’t call them tiny though, just to be sure we’re talking about the same fruit its light green and mushy inside with lots of seeds that are about 1/2 the size of a bb.

Thanks a lot!

09/18/09  02:56pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Squid   In reference to Message Id: 2073357

Yup, same fruit. There are yellow ones and red ones as well. I have eaten the red ones mostly. Don’t worry....they are pretty small seeds, and they will have no problems with them. I have even fed the fruit to my hatchlings.

Edel

09/18/09  03:29pm

Squid
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2073366

Ok, yeah I’ve never seen red ones in the stores, even the green ones are a rarity.
But I will say the dragons go NUTS for them. They absolutely love them.
Thanks a lot!

09/18/09  03:52pm

Mobcity
View Profile

Message To: Squid   In reference to Message Id: 2073382

i didnt know i could feed these i have a gang of them in my back yard................

09/18/09  06:59pm

The roadrunner
View Profile

Message To: Mobcity   In reference to Message Id: 2073454

can you get those like out of your backyard are they the flat kind with the monstreous needles we have in florida???????????? if so holy crap our yard could be harvested like a garden

09/18/09  09:56pm

Squid
View Profile

Message To: The roadrunner   In reference to Message Id: 2073524

They can eat the cactus pads and prickly pear fruits..

and the fruit pictured earlier in the thread. Just make sure there are no spines!!!

09/19/09  12:19am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Squid   In reference to Message Id: 2073568

The cactus pad is pretty yummy as well. You can scrape the spines with a knife and/or many Mexican stores will sell them already cut up in little cubes.

If the dragons don’t like it, score it and roast.....eat with lemon and salt, or dice up in a nice stew.

Edel

09/19/09  12:30am

The roadrunner
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2073576

do you scrub it off with scotch brite pads to get the tiny spines off ?????????

09/19/09  11:41am

Reptilentity
View Profile

Message To: Squid   In reference to Message Id: 2073568

Wow, I live in Florida, so these cactus pads will be an easy free way of feeding my Simon!
Of course, once all the pricklies are removed (:

09/19/09  12:51pm

Squid
View Profile

Message To: Reptilentity   In reference to Message Id: 2073720

Yesterday I found I took one from the huge cactus tree in my boyfriend’s back yard. It looks like this..I can’t seem to find it on the internet

maybe its just not ripe yet and eventually it would have looked like this...

We tasted it and it was good so I fed one to the dragon and OMG they went CRAZY.
I fed a piece to Ickis and then went to feed one to Krumm and Ickis tried to sneak up to get more and bit the crap out of me. She bit me so hard that when I lifted my hand up she was stuck to the end of it and I had to shake her off. It was so scary. I know she just thought I was food but it was scary. I now know the potential of their razor sharp teeth, I was bleeding everywhere. :[
I’ll post a picture of the bite later.

but anyway, anyone seen a cactus fruit like this? haha

09/19/09  03:47pm

Chrlea
View Profile

Message To: Squid   In reference to Message Id: 2073797

Yes, that is the same fruit. I feed it to my dragons when I can. My in-laws have it in their yard and once they get close to ripe, I pick them and let them ripen at home. Some of my dragons love it, others do not. So each dragon is different.

The seeds will pass without any problems.

Charlie

09/19/09  04:33pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area