Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Bri1993   Dragon Lover   Bri1993   Monkeyeatzyou   Alicardsmommy   Reptile_FREAK   Snarlface   Newfgal   SkumBoss   SkumBoss   Snarlface   Monkeyeatzyou   BambiRabbit   Bullfrogg   Bullfrogg   Pocochu   Bri1993   Monkeyeatzyou   SkumBoss   Bri1993   Newfgal   Snarlface   Monkeyeatzyou   Snarlface   Tempestborn   KinkyQuill  
 Member  Message

Bri1993
View Profile

Swollen Leg

Ok so for the past 2 days my BD’s right hind leg has been swollen or just bigger then the other. She is still eating fine and chasing the crickets. When i touched it she didn’t seem in pain or anything. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what it could be. Thanks for any help.

01/06/10  07:03pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Bri1993   In reference to Message Id: 2111345

Swollen Leg

She’s probably just shedding.....starting at the leg. Usually when they shed the legs and arms look like they’re swollen. Is the coloring any lighter than normal? Can you post a pic?

Edel

01/06/10  08:34pm

Bri1993
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2111379

Swollen Leg

Here’s a pic

and closer

01/06/10  08:57pm

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Message To: Bri1993   In reference to Message Id: 2111398

Swollen Leg

That leg is huge... but it looks normal the other just looks really small. Sorry I am not being of any help. Good luck

01/06/10  09:00pm

Alicardsmommy
View Profile

Swollen Leg

it almost looks like it might be broken. my friend had a bearded dragon and its leg looked just like that and when she would touch it her beardie wouldnt move or anything to the touch. has it been like this for awhile? or have you just noticed it? he could also just have some joint swelling. hope this helps

Amber

01/06/10  09:29pm

Reptile_FREAK
View Profile

Message To: Alicardsmommy   In reference to Message Id: 2111418

Swollen Leg

maybe its just a deformity that u never noticed before and gotten bigger over time?

01/06/10  09:32pm

Snarlface
View Profile

Message To: Reptile_FREAK   In reference to Message Id: 2111420

Swollen Leg

Hey I would get it checked out. Beardies wont ever give you a sign that they are in pain but that does look swollen to me.

About 10 months ago my beardie’s leg seemed numb and he did not hold onto me so well. He use to go everywhere on my shoulder. It was really weird so I took him in and the vet gave him an Xray. The Xray turned out perfect and the vet seemed bewildered but put him on a calcium suppliment. Weeks went by and no real improvement and it started to look swollen. The vet told me to keep up with the supplement for a few more weeks, as they heal slowly. Then his leg got hard at the joint, like a marble! I decided that the vet sucked, so I found a really good vet who immediately gave him a blood test. We found out he had some how hurt his leg and it got infected very very badly. The marble thing was and it takes a long time to break it down. Plus the infection actually traveled into his nervous system affecting his spine and movement. I am still giving him medicine to take care of the infection ten months later. He has a weirdo strut and shouldn’t even be alive but improving everyday.

I dont want to freak you out, but just know my experience. Keep his temps warm as that help with his immune system and dont let him brumate. I think it would be smart to get him checked out. If he still seems to be moving his legs fine, get a blood test first. It is not as expensive as an Xray and you would know from there if there is something terribly wrong. And just as it takes them a long time to heal(their immune system works slower) it also takes them awhile to get really sick. So its better to just get it checked now before it gets worse.

I hope all well with your little beardie!

01/07/10  03:43am

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Snarlface   In reference to Message Id: 2111492

Swollen Leg

Wow, that is huge. I agree to get her to a vet, snarlface is correct, when and if beardies are in pain you may never know it. Best to have that looked at...Best of luck, I hope she is ok.

Nancy

01/07/10  05:24am

SkumBoss
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2111495

Swollen Leg

Showing pain is showing weakness, showing weakness is showing that you are easy prey. Most small animals will never show pain because in the wild it gets them eaten.

I don’t go to the vet often, but I would take mine if he looked like that. And like snarlface said, a lot of vets are inexperienced, so it’s good if you know what to ask for, IE a blood test. It looks like an infection to me, and it definitely looks like it’s spreading, the way the entire leg is swollen like that. I would get him to the vet ASAP.

If the vet gives him oral meds, see if he’ll lick them off his nose before you go prying his mouth open. To my surprise, my dragon loved his medicine, and would get feisty when it was gone.

01/07/10  12:17pm

SkumBoss
View Profile

Message To: SkumBoss   In reference to Message Id: 2111552

Swollen Leg

The right one is definitely not normal. Look at the way it pushes on his stomach.

01/07/10  12:19pm

Snarlface
View Profile

Message To: SkumBoss   In reference to Message Id: 2111554

Swollen Leg

To share along with Skumboss, my guy also loves his medicine. They will lick it right out of the syringe dropper. I believe there is a sweetness to it that they like, so it is not that hard to give to them.

01/07/10  12:42pm

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Message To: Snarlface   In reference to Message Id: 2111561

Swollen Leg

Mine hate meds :( I wish i was lucky like Snarlface.

01/07/10  03:00pm

BambiRabbit
View Profile

Message To: Monkeyeatzyou   In reference to Message Id: 2111592

Swollen Leg

This is gonna sound gross, but my cats anus got swollen like that and it was an abscess. It could just need to be drained, but you’ll have to bring her to the vet to determine if that is what it is. Don’t go worrying right away, just stay calm and know what to ask for, like has already been stated.

Brittany

01/07/10  03:49pm

Bullfrogg
View Profile

Message To: BambiRabbit   In reference to Message Id: 2111597

Swollen Leg

If you don’t have one already,,,Try to call around or ask other herper’s in your area who a good reptile vet is. It makes a huge difference. Just because they say they are a reptile vet doesn’t mean they have a clue! pet stores also don’t nec. have a clue ! In any case ditto on some of the other posts get the liz. to the vet asap. What ever that is may have been working a while before you got to see it. But its either a break /sprain and/ or an infection.. It doesn’t look like the bone calcium deficiency stuff I’ve seen before , but suppose anything is possible. so gotta go! Good Luck and let us know what happens!
My Female Beardy eats everything in site, including liquid things. So she’s ’so far’ been easy to give what ever I want. She hasn’t needed much in the way of meds. Except when I first got her and she had parasites etc.. But oh boy mix it in something yummy and its gone. I use "coconut yogurt ’ for stuff like that -for the lizards and the rats. I get away with putting tons of vitamins and supplements in that for all the critters.

01/08/10  06:59pm

Bullfrogg
View Profile

Swollen Leg

If you don’t already have what you know to be a good "Reptile" vet, Check with other herpers in your area. Just because a vet says they do reptiles doesn’t mean they have a clue! We found that out thru trial and error. Pet stores also don’t nec... know or even use a good vet! But I think- Ditto -to several posts here, to get Beardy to the vet asap! What ever that is may have been working for a while before you got to see it. It looks like a break,sprain,OR infection ,which could be secondary to a break or sprain. It doesn’t look like most of the bone metab. stuff I’ve seen ,but suppose anything is possible. In any case the giz needs a vet. I don’t think BD’s are the most graceful critters! But if yours is anything like mine they don’t always make good choices as to where is a good or safe place to crawl or try to jump to or fro....
I have 6 Beardy’s among other things. ( long story!) Mostly they eat what ever I give them. My female particularly will eat everything in site, maybe your hand if you don’t get it out of the way in time! But I’ve usually been able to give her what ever I want by mixing it something yummy. I use mashed up bananas sometimes, but mostly "coconut yogurt" in fruity flavors. They haven’t really needed meds for anything except when I first got ’her’ she had parasites. She took the med from a syringe easily with a bit of yummy juice mixed with it. She’ll lick the yogurt mixture up out of her dish though. I never use DAIRY yogurt as the dairy causes too many mucus and inflammatory issues etc..especially in my rats who are naturally prone to respiratory issues!
Anyway good luck! Let us know what the doc says!

01/08/10  07:21pm

Pocochu
View Profile

Message To: Bullfrogg   In reference to Message Id: 2111947

Swollen Leg

She could have broken or dislocated her hip...your really should get an xray done....Does she move it at all???

Annie..>^..^<

01/09/10  06:16am

Bri1993
View Profile

Message To: Pocochu   In reference to Message Id: 2112051

Swollen Leg

She moves it fine and she acts normal. She is eating and pooping good too. I took her to the place where i got her and they said it looks fine but the other one looks like it is small i think he called it athropy?? don’t remember tho. He said it could be from a childhood injury.

01/09/10  11:23am

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Message To: Bri1993   In reference to Message Id: 2112094

Swollen Leg

But you wouldn’t have just noticed it. Where did you get your BD the pet store/Breeder? They aren’t always the best people. A good herp vet would be your best bet. Plus don’t you want to be on the safe side just incase it is something serious.

01/09/10  11:27am

SkumBoss
View Profile

Message To: Bri1993   In reference to Message Id: 2112094

Swollen Leg

I thought it might’ve looked normal and the other was just small at first. Then I saw the way it pushed on his stomach. There is definitely something wrong that needs attention by a qualified vet. You can’t always believe someone selling something. Their reputation is what helps them sell more, so they will lie to make you think nothing is wrong.

01/09/10  12:27pm

Bri1993
View Profile

Message To: SkumBoss   In reference to Message Id: 2112111

Swollen Leg

I looked at some older pics i have (only had him since november) and that leg has always been a bit bigger

01/09/10  02:55pm

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Bri1993   In reference to Message Id: 2112143

Swollen Leg

Well, if you have only had him a short time and it was like that when you got him, he should never have been sold unless you knew what it is and if it could be treated. Better to be safe than sorry, he needs to be looked at by a vet. If it turns out to be serious and you don’t take him to and just let it go...well, what more can I say right? If it turns out to be nothing serious than thats great to, at least you will know...

Nancy

01/09/10  03:23pm

Snarlface
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2112151

Swollen Leg

I really want you to know how important it is to get your little guy to a vet. Again, with my experience, which had some similar circumstances, getting my guy to the vet was crucial. He seemed totally fine, and then suddenly seemed weird. A blood text will tell you many things. To reiterate our concern, I am attaching a photo spread focusing on the leg problems with my beardie, and it was never as swollen as yours.

1. His normal leg before any infection (way back when i tried feeding him beardie pellets which he never even tried)

2. A close up on the swollen arm after the vet visit. The swelling goes all the way down to the toes. At this point he is on antibiotics, which he is still taking 10 months later

3. This is an early shot very early after taking the meds. You can see his swollen arm but also note how his legs are still healthy looking, although he is having a hard time using them.

**A quick note, reptile dummy is not water soluble like mammal dummy. That is why it takes them a long time to heal. It is more like a very thick toothpaste texture, that can harden and because if its density really infect the nervous system. That is what happened to my lizard and the infection got into his spinal chord and he lost a lot of the strength in his hind legs. My vet thought he may actually die within a month or two due to the severity of the infection. It was so severe because he did not show any signs before it was almost too late.
4. After Karl has been on meds for more then 3 months. The leg swelling goes down but there is still a marble of dummy around his joint.

5. Karl cant stand up and stretch on the glass like he use to but he does do this on his rock. Notice his weak hind legs and lack of muscle there. The infected leg is very strong now, with only a small bit of dummy left.

Karl still has a wobbly walk, with floppy awkward feet, but he is much stronger now then 6 months ago.

I hope this encourages you to take your guy in. If he is sick, you can take care of the problem before it gets as bad as mine. Plus I will say in caring for my beardie while he was sick, a very solid bond formed that was unlike the bond we already had. Almost like they revert back to being a baby.

01/11/10  05:25am

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Message To: Snarlface   In reference to Message Id: 2112695

Swollen Leg

aww poor little guy. glad he’s doing better

01/11/10  10:10am

Snarlface
View Profile

Message To: Monkeyeatzyou   In reference to Message Id: 2112750

Swollen Leg

for some reason this forum changed the words I typed in my last post to "dummy". I guess it thinks i was using a swear word?

Quote:

**A quick note, reptile dummy is not water soluble like mammal dummy. That is why it takes them a long time to heal. It is more like a very thick toothpaste texture, that can harden and because if its density really infect the nervous system. That is what happened to my lizard and the infection got into his spinal chord and he lost a lot of the strength in his hind legs.

that word ’dummy’ is supposed to be ’pus’

01/11/10  02:32pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Snarlface   In reference to Message Id: 2112834

Swollen Leg

wow, karl’s a trooper--i’m so glad he’s improving. i was trying to figure out what the heck "dummy" was!

i vote along with everyone else: get the baby to a vet.

jesse

01/12/10  01:07am

KinkyQuill
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2112981

Swollen Leg

I was looking after my friends beardie for a while, He had the exact same problem. But two or three days after the vet, he was on the antibiotocs but he died, we simply got there too late.

Please take her to a vet, with dragons, and most other animals fo that matter, it’s survuval of the fittest, which means in the wild that if they showed any physical sing of weakness, other animals of the species would try to kill it, so your beardie would seem perfectly fine to you for that exact reason.

I hope all works out well, really do. It’s heart breaking to see a pet in distress.
Best of luck,
Jayde.

01/12/10  03:32pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area