Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Frenchie01   Dragon Lover   Acarlisle   Frenchie01   Acarlisle   Maemile  
 Member  Message

Frenchie01
View Profile

Crusty Lips

I have a 2yr old beardie that has some brown crusty stuff on his lower lip - it is on the inside of the lip - kind of like on the lining - right at the tip. I removed with a damp paper towel, but it reappeared the next day. I noticed this 4 days ago - also, have another beardie in a different tank that just started exhibiting the same thing (noticed today).

I’ve owned beardies for 7 years, all temps/lighting are fine....never have seen this before.
Any thoughts?

03/08/11  12:01am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Frenchie01   In reference to Message Id: 2208589

Crusty Lips

Hi,

Could it possibly be food remains.....or was it early in the am when it re appeared?

I would suggest having them checked by a vet, especially if it continues or grows. I’m not quite sure what it could be.

Edel

03/08/11  09:59pm

Acarlisle
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2208711

Crusty Lips

I agree... go to the vet! $25 bucks could save the life of your friend. I just lost one for waiting too long before going to the vet. It sounds like it could be either a fungal infection or a bacterial infection. My male died from a baterial infection that started as a little grayish spot that i thought was a scab or burn. I was wrong and he died shortly after visiting the vet. On the good side, my vet noticed a fungal infection on my female in the early stages. Fungal infections typically start at the lips and progress toward the eyes and everywhere else. They appear as a crusty skin growth and look like unshed skin. It is extreemly Contagious... so seperate any other dragons! I was told to treat the infected area with diluted Iodine (specifically betadine or betadyne). The dilution should appear as color of light tea. Let sit for 10 minutes and thoroughly bath/wash the area. you may have to delicately pick at the growth if it is a fungal infection and pay attention to the nostrils!

03/09/11  02:37pm

Frenchie01
View Profile

Message To: Acarlisle   In reference to Message Id: 2208794

Crusty Lips

Thanks - what causes these fungal infections? I’ll read up....and take him to the vet.

03/09/11  05:56pm

Acarlisle
View Profile

Message To: Frenchie01   In reference to Message Id: 2208833

Crusty Lips

I’m not really sure... could be several things ranging from the environment of the tank, moisture, feeder insect biology, etc. I do know it is as HARD to get rid of as it is contagious and i am still checking and treating often. I think the vet said that there is another measure i could take to remove stubborn infections but i haven’t investigated yet and it doesn’t seem to bother her except for when it cloggs her nostril. i keep waiting for her to shed and the infection to be gone but no luck yet. Now that you have reminded me... i will put a call through to the vet and investigate other options. Let me know how your vet appointment turned out after you go?!?! Good Luck!

03/16/11  01:24pm

Maemile
View Profile

Message To: Acarlisle   In reference to Message Id: 2209868

Crusty Lips

I agree with fungus. Shortly before christmas I got a beautiful orange baby that unfortunately came with an upper respirtory infection and yellow fungus! We are several months in and alot of medication later but it has not spread and she is growing like a weed. Giving her meds every morning is alot of fun lol. They keep telling me it will take a long time to get rid of. My vet charged me the first office visit and the rest of the visits have been rechecks and n/c. Good luck.

Mary Ann

03/16/11  08:20pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area