Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Quesoperro   Dragon Lover   Quesoperro   Quesoperro   Dragon Lover   Quesoperro   Quesoperro   Dragon Lover  
 Member  Message

Quesoperro
View Profile

My bearded dragon just went listless and her beard turned black

I came home and my kids were worried because our 6-year old beardie (who is very healthy) turned VERY listless, closed her eyes, and her beard turned jet black (it’s typically tan/orange). She showed no interest in food. It’s now about a 15 minutes later and she’s starting to respond, she ate a cricket, but her beard is still black. I know there beards can turn black, but this was weird. She was very active and it was like a switch was turned off. Anyone see anything like this?

Chris

04/23/11  04:37pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Quesoperro   In reference to Message Id: 2215659

Hi,

How’s your beardie? Is she still listless?

What type of lighting do you have for her? Do you have a UVB, if so, how old is it and what king?

Edel

04/23/11  06:31pm

Quesoperro
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2215670

She is doing much better. No longer listless. Her UV bulb is about 5-months old - I write the date on the end of the bulb each time I change it and change them once a year. I believe that she was overheated. I have a large cage (48" wide X 30" deep X 24" tall) and it has 2 light bulb sockets + 1 fixture for her UV bulb (24"). I have different wattage heat lamps depending on the season and I keep a ceramic heating bulb in the second slot for when I need additional heat for cold weather. I had turned on the ceramic bulb and I think she was overheated. Can their beards turn black when they are overheated? It was the first time we ever saw it happen to her in six years.

04/24/11  03:03am

Quesoperro
View Profile

Message To: Quesoperro   In reference to Message Id: 2215704

She just did it again. She was moving around and then it was like she collapsed, like a light switch turning off she went listless. Usually when you pick her up and her legs dangle in the air she panics and begins thrashing her tail around like she’s going to fall. She just hangs there with her arms hanging down. Something is really wrong.

04/24/11  11:52am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Quesoperro   In reference to Message Id: 2215746

hmmmm........Ok, give us a rundown of your set up and what do you do for feedings.

Do you dust with Calcium and if so, does it have D3 in it? Are you feeding bugs every day, when she is feeling well? What kind of veggies are you feeding?

Yes, the beard will turn black when the beardie is not feeling well.

Keep her warm and hydrated. Very important to keep her hydrated.

Edel

04/24/11  01:39pm

Quesoperro
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2215757

Ok, she is 6 yrs old and her cage is 48" wide X 30" deep X 24" tall. It’s a wood cage that she has been in for several years. There are 3 fixtures, one for a 24" UV bulb, which is a 10.0 Reptisun; The second fixture has a 100 watt spot light/heat lamp. The 3rd fixture has a 100 watt ceramic heating bulb which I use every once in a while when the weather gets cold enough and I need the extra heat. It is generally 95 - 105 degrees on the hot side down to 75-85 degrees on the cool side. The substrate is finely crushed walnut shells that we purchase at the pet store. We used to use rabbit pellets but they smell bad and we have been using these for years. She has good wood to climb on as well as a large hollow log to hide in.

She gets salad every day with some fruit tossed in. A typical salad might be cilantro, carrots, squash, dandelion greens, raddichio, & arugula. We’ll toss in a little green apple, blueberry, rasberry, etc. in small amounts. She also LOVES dandelions (the flower).

Before she got sick last night the ceramic heater was on and the cage was up to 109 degrees. Her mouth was open like she was hot and I turned off the heater. She has been very lethargic throughout the day. We did get her to eat a few crickets this afternoon. I gave her 2 warm soak baths today and she drank a little water earlier. Her color still looks bad. She is pale with black beard (her beard is usually tan/orange). She’s just not right - spent most of the day with her eyes at half mast, or closed.

04/24/11  09:07pm

Quesoperro
View Profile

Message To: Quesoperro   In reference to Message Id: 2215798

Sorry, I forgot to mention that after reading I realize that I am not consistent enough with her calcium. Sometimes I dust the crickets and sometimes I don’t

04/24/11  09:37pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Quesoperro   In reference to Message Id: 2215804

Hi,

The walnut shell substrate really scares me. If she ingests any of it, it can tear her insides. Bearded dragons taste their environment and even if it doesn’t seem like it, it is very highly that if it is a loose substrate, that they will ingest some of it. If she has in fact, it almost never can be passed. This will cause impaction, blockage, and it can be really bad when she tries to pass it. When was the last time she pooped?

Are you feeding bugs every day? An adult bearded dragon should eat protein two to three times a day all it can eat in a 15 minute period. Too much protein can cause liver and or kidney problems.

Is there any wheezing or gurgling? Any mucous substance around her nose, eyes and mouth? If so, this is a Respiratory Infection. Needs to be treated by a Vet.

My suggestion would be to get her in to a vet for a check up. Everything in your care looks fine, except for the substrate, which makes me very nervous. I would take it out and replace it with paper towels for now. If you want to use something loose, your safest bet is children’s play sand, which you can purchase at home depot. Other than that a solid substrate like tile, non adhesive shelf liner, news paper, paper towels or repti carpet would be appropriate. Also, take in a poop sample, if you can at all, and have them do a fecal to test for parasites. If you don’t bring one in, I believe they can swab and get a sample.

It is very normal for the beardie to sit under the heat lamp and open its mouth. It is called gaping and it means the beardie is thermoregulating....getting the temps in its body regulated. With the gradients that you have in the tank, she would move to a cooler side if she was too hot. However, I don’t think this is your issue. Please get her to a vet.

Edel

04/25/11  11:02am

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area