Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragons-General Archive  Bearded Dragons-General Forum  Forums  Archives

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Schnebbles   Reptichik   Schnebbles   Trackman   Trackman   Xta   Trackman   Schnebbles   Trackman   Pe   Blue eyes   Schnebbles   Blue eyes   Roscoe   Reptichik   Schnebbles   Xta   Trackman   Blue eyes   Trackman   Blue eyes   Replady   Blue eyes   D0llm0uth  
 Member  Message

Schnebbles
View Profile

Superworms - safe amount a day?

What would be a safe amount to feed daily? Or should I totally not consider feeding these every day?

He loves them, they are his favorite food. I am out right now and trying to decide if I should order a bunch off the internet, or just stick with the small amounts from PetSmart.

He won’t hardly touch his crickets. BAD BOY!!!! He knows I’ll cave in and give him his silkworms and/or supers.

He probably ate 10 crickets all week, he just ignores them.

01/25/04  9:59am
Sorry, No Replies

Reptichik
View Profile

Message To: Schnebbles   In reference to Message Id: 28815

Mine like Supers the most too. Then crix, then the silks, which makes me mad, cause the silks are the ones that I like to keep the most! I just had a bunch of babies hatch this morning. The silks are almost like pets to me! Anyways, I too would like to know an acceptable amount of supers per day, as mine seem to absolutely love them. This is gross, but my three year old son was watching me feed them yesterday, and I gave them some supers, and he said, "Mommy, they must be yummy, can I have one?" Out of the mouthes of babes.....

01/25/04  10:44am
Sorry, No Replies

Schnebbles
View Profile

Message To: Reptichik   In reference to Message Id: 28833

I posted once that my son HAD to sneak a taste of a silkworm! nasty!

I like keeping the supers,mainly cuz they are cheap! The silks are so expensive with the food. I like them tho, they’re cool.

01/25/04  10:59am
Sorry, No Replies

Trackman
View Profile

Message To: Schnebbles   In reference to Message Id: 28835

just want to give everybody a heads up on superworms!last year my friend lost his beardy because of a hole in his intestines that was believed to be caused by the super worms not being chewed enough.apparently,(as grose as it sounds)the super worms were eating a hole in his stomach lining!i dont want to scare anybody that feeds superworms,this is not my objective!you can and should still feed them to your beardy,i do!but i pinch their heads w/hemos or needle nose pliers or whatever will work for you.

01/25/04  1:51pm
Sorry, No Replies

Trackman
View Profile

Message To: Trackman   In reference to Message Id: 28879

Sorry, No Message.

01/25/04  2:07pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Message To: Trackman   In reference to Message Id: 28879

Trackman...that is an urban legend. It has been floating around for years. There has never been any proof that this is true. First, the beardie chews them, then the acid from the stomach dissolves the worm. There really is no way this is possible unless your beardie had a heart attack right after eating and the worm somehow managed to chew it’s way out before being digested (very doubtful even then). And to have a hole in the intestine from a worm is even more unlikely. It would be more likely that would happen from being kept on bark or sand....something that would tear the intestine.

Schnebbles...you are spoiling Reuben! You have to make him go without for a week to encourage cricket eating! I have the same problem with Flapjack.

As far as quantity, I don’t really know what is good, but I usually only feed Flapjack 3-7 per day. (usually on the low end) I just think even thought the worms are easier to digest than meal worms, a bunch at once can definitely cause problems. I’ve heard people say their dragon gorged themselves on them and ended up paralyzed and impacted for awhile (very scary). So your guess on quantity is as good as mine.

As far as silk worms, I know what you mean about they seem like pets, Reptichik. I feel bad for them actually. I don’t think I will get them again....they are so big and soft. It disturbs me. Plus they poop a bit too much!

And how funny that your kids wanted to eat the worms! I can’t believe it!

01/25/04  2:17pm
Sorry, No Replies

Trackman
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 28893

this did not happen to me!this was a reason he was told why his died.i dont know who told him that,i only know that it sounded logical to me!i appoligize for giving potentially false information.
i was only looking out for health of others pets.sorry!.
on that note, i will continue to crush the heads of the superworms that i feed!thanks for the info

01/25/04  2:30pm
Sorry, No Replies

Schnebbles
View Profile

Message To: Trackman   In reference to Message Id: 28896

That actually sounds quite logical to me too!

So, I would probably be safe feeding Reuben 2-3 superworms a day then. I actually wondered if it was safe to even feed them on a daily basis.

Yes, I know he’s spoiled, and the silks poop ALOT!!! I find the supers way easier to keep, and cheaper. I like the silkworms too, they are soft and kinda cute (for a worm!). I can’t believe my son wanted to taste one, that’s downright gross. I think maybe he watches too much Fear Factor.

I think I’ll go ahead & order some supers online. Trackman, you should find out who told your friend that. I would want to know if it was the vet?

01/25/04  2:49pm
Sorry, No Replies

Trackman
View Profile

Message To: Schnebbles   In reference to Message Id: 28910

i dont know how i could get ahold of him now.he lives in washington now.hes mad at me because i did not make the trip for his wedding!
oh well,anyhow i know that sometimes i do see undigested superworms in their feces somtimes!my animals all go to the vet,and always get a clean bill of health,not just once but everytime!their is where it should be,and i dont feed them an hour before there lights go out.
so it is hard for me to believe that they always chew every and all of there worms.it also leads me to believe that the stomach acid is not powerful enough to breakdown worms that have not been chewed properly.these are my opinions eveybody is entitled to them.i do know for sure that i have no intensions on being one of the few statistics!

01/25/04  3:06pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Trackman   In reference to Message Id: 28924

I have crushed heads on live pray for some baby reptiles, I usually don’t. If you feel safe crushing the insects head, then by all means you should do it. Its not like they will lack nutrition from it. You got to do what your comfortable with.

PE

01/25/04  3:19pm
Sorry, No Replies

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 28935

I believe a worm could have eaten through intestines, but not a SUPERWORM! I had a necropsy done on a baby that died suddenly and it was due to a worm in his liver.

01/25/04  4:36pm
Sorry, No Replies

Schnebbles
View Profile

Message To: Blue   In reference to Message Id: 28974

what kind of worm? a parasite type you mean?

01/25/04  4:40pm
Sorry, No Replies

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Schnebbles   In reference to Message Id: 28976

Yeah, I don’t remember what kind it was though.

01/25/04  4:45pm
Sorry, No Replies

Roscoe
View Profile

Message To: Blue   In reference to Message Id: 28982

I wouldn’t hesitate to feed supers every day especially if you didn’t have any crickets on hand. Mine also eat 3-8 a day when I have them and I think it’s a perfectly safe amt. as long as they are getting their vitamins and calcium. I dust my supers with Herpcare cricket dust. It sticks alot better than some other brands. They just love ’em!

01/25/04  7:49pm
Sorry, No Replies

Reptichik
View Profile

Message To: Blue   In reference to Message Id: 28982

I have heard of those. They are called lung worms, I am not sure of the scientific name for them. They are a kind of parasite though, I am thinking some kind of strongloid, but not sure. Symtoms of that are constant gaping and respiratory sounding problems I believe.

01/25/04  7:58pm
Sorry, No Replies

Schnebbles
View Profile

Message To: Reptichik   In reference to Message Id: 29050

Now superwormsfarm site doesn’t guarantee live delivery. crap! I want to order bulk superworms.

01/25/04  9:30pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Message To: Trackman   In reference to Message Id: 28896

Trackman...I’m not trying to give you a hard time...if you want to crush the heads it certainly won’t hurt.

01/25/04  10:21pm
Sorry, No Replies

Trackman
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 29124

yeah i know,i wont feel a thing!

01/25/04  10:27pm
Sorry, No Replies

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Trackman   In reference to Message Id: 29126

I know superworm farm doesn’t have a guarantee! That is the only place I order from because it’s the cheapest...since I am trying to breed them I just went and bought some at the pet store. I don’t know why they don’t just use heat packs.

01/25/04  10:32pm
Sorry, No Replies

Trackman
View Profile

Message To: Blue   In reference to Message Id: 29127

i ordered a bunch from timberline once.6 cups of 100 per cup but i dont remember what i paid.although thet did guarentee live arrival

01/25/04  10:49pm
Sorry, No Replies

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Trackman   In reference to Message Id: 29132

I’ve ordered from them before. That is what the petstores carry. I bought bulk. I don’t kno whow much I paid, I just know that superworm farm is the cheapest place I’ve found.

01/25/04  10:56pm
Sorry, No Replies

Replady
View Profile

Message To: Blue   In reference to Message Id: 29134

about what is the shipping for the farm crickets and worms? just an estimate

01/25/04  11:37pm
Sorry, No Replies

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Replady   In reference to Message Id: 29140

I think it depends on the shipping method you choose...I’m not sure I haven’t ordered for a while.

01/25/04  11:55pm
Sorry, No Replies

D0llm0uth
View Profile

Message To: Blue   In reference to Message Id: 29142

I ordered 1000 Superworms with next day shipping. They got to me the next week on a Wed. and they were ALL DEAD.

01/26/04  9:08pm
Sorry, No Replies

Bearded Dragons-General Archive  Bearded Dragons-General Forum  Forums  Archives