Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Kit-kat   LadyK   Schnebbles   LadyK   Dadx2mj   Kit-kat   Puffbaby   Shoobly   Blue eyes   DragonLvr3   Kit-kat   Blue eyes   Schnebbles   Caroline   Kit-kat   Caroline   Master Of Cold Blood   RedRain   Kit-kat   Negativity   Lady   Kemp   Kit-kat   Kit-kat   KAS   Shoobly   KAS   Shoobly   LadyK   LadyK  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Kit-kat
View Profile

I dont like my beardie!

Hey everyone ive had my bearded dragon for about 2-3 months and well he is cool but isnt really entertaining? He has already gotten checked for parasites and everything else but always sleep! He has a nice cage and i giant climbing thing from petco cost lots of money and 1 hut and everything his temps are 83 on the cool side and he has a basking temp of 109? He eats 40 crix a day and eats maybe 3 leafs of mustard and collard greens a day leafs = like the size of a 50 cent coin. He rarely basks and always is in his hut he opens his mouth and hisses at me when i try to pick him up. He is just becoming a bore and i dont really want him any more? What should i do? Im really upset!!! i mean you all love your beardies so much why dont i he is just a pain? Is it just him? The pet store wont let me give him back and he cost 80 dollars plus 150 dollars on everything else! What should i do? Its like he hates me? Also im 16 so you know that im not a little kid or n/e thing. I need help some advice please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04/25/05  06:13pm
Sorry, No Replies

LadyK
View Profile

Message To: Kit-kat   In reference to Message Id: 322707

I dont like my beardie!

lol hey im 16 aswell but there not suposed to be entertaining. how old was he when you got him or how big? i got mine when he was around 6 inchs and he doesnt like my brothers either he hiss’s at them well except my 7 yearold bro he loves him. how big and how old is he now? he might be stressed out with something in the cage or just the enviorement. and when did this all start?

04/25/05  06:23pm
Sorry, No Replies

Schnebbles
View Profile

Message To: Kit-kat   In reference to Message Id: 322707

I dont like my beardie!

I’m very sorry to hear that.

I’m not really sure what your hopes were in a reptile, since they pretty much like to lie around basking. They aren’t what I would consider to be entertaining per se’. Which is exactly why I knew my son (10) would quikly get bored with our beardie, so I researched & made sure I got something I wanted!

What did you think he was going to do? Obviously they are not like a cat/dog so I just have to wonder what your hopes for him were.

I just love Reuben because he’s so cute. Not that he does much, I just love him anyhow, but I wasn’t looking for entertainment.

04/25/05  06:24pm
Sorry, No Replies

LadyK
View Profile

Message To: Schnebbles   In reference to Message Id: 322723

I dont like my beardie!

well the problem could be he was never been held befor and is scared. listen let him get the sent of your hand and then slow pick him up wiether he hiss’s or not . that will let him know your not going to hurt him hold him for a while or let him sit on your shoulders. but if you really dont want him i suggest give him away for like 50 plus shiping lot of people on this form will give you offers if you want to give him away BUT WHAT TILL I ASK MY MOM LOL. i would take him if my mom let me but i doute that. do you have a picture??

04/25/05  06:35pm
Sorry, No Replies

Dadx2mj
View Profile

I dont like my beardie!

I guess the best thing you can do is sell your Beardie to someone who cares and knows what they are getting into and how to provide proper care for him. May I suggest next time you decide to buy a pet you do some research and find out what you are getting into. Pets are a commitment not a toy you can put on the shelf when you tire of playing with them or they cease to entertain you.

04/25/05  06:35pm
Sorry, No Replies

Kit-kat
View Profile

I dont like my beardie!

Im not looking for entertainment ooops didnt mean that well i ment i would like to at least see him he is always hiding in his hut. I was looking for companionship my mom is sadly alergic to all animals with feather and fur (hair). I ment i wish i could at least pick him up but no he will bite! He is only 3-4 months old. Could giving him a bath 2 times a week stress him out he seems to like it? Its hard to even get him in the bath tub with out him freaking out? Im the only one who seems to have this problem! I wish i could just pivk him up and hold him but i cant this sucks!

04/25/05  06:36pm
Sorry, No Replies

Puffbaby
View Profile

Message To: Kit-kat   In reference to Message Id: 322750

I dont like my beardie!

Wow! I hope you met your folks expectations! lol You could be out the door!!! lol These little guys need patience sometimes. Pet stores are not known for being all warm and fuzzy with their animals, and maybe don’t get the best treatment. Frankly, I find my girls very entertaining! I take them out and show them stuff and let them run around. You will probably just need to take some time with him. Joan2

04/25/05  07:04pm
Sorry, No Replies

Shoobly
View Profile

Message To: Puffbaby   In reference to Message Id: 322794

I don’t like my beardie!

That’s really sad to hear... Your beardie will never learn to like people or be friendly unless you do handle him. SpeacilK had a hard time with Zade when he first got him, and Zade used to bite him like crazy too, but I think he’s pretty much mellowed out now. If you want your beardie to like/trust you, you’re going to have to pick it up eventually. Even if he does bite you, don’t let him go or he’ll learn that every time he doesn’t want to be held all he has to do is bite and he’ll be put down. I’m not saying it won’t hurt, but from a dragon that small it won’t be too bad... it’ll probably (and I say probably because I have never been bit myself) just feel like a pinch, not sure though, so ask Kevin if you want to know that, lol.

04/25/05  07:10pm
Sorry, No Replies

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Puffbaby   In reference to Message Id: 322794

I dont like my beardie!

I find them entertaining as well. I suggest you look take out the hide and hold him every day for at least 10 minutes. If he’s in a tank try covering 3 sides so he can only see out the front. This may help you out some.

04/25/05  07:11pm
Sorry, No Replies

DragonLvr3
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyes   In reference to Message Id: 322803

I dont like my beardie!

Yea I find all mine entertaining too. They are all different and react different to every thing. If Bayou was my first maybe I would not have all the others, but with time and love he really came around and is a lot of fun. He’s not the cuddly type like the others and that’s OK. He’s rather run around and check things out. Don’t give up on him. Like Blue eyes said take the hide out and trust me if he bites you, it’s nothing like a cat bite (those are really bad) !! Best of luck. And like Puffbaby said we all have expectations of our kids, I keep telling mine if they were dogs they would be sitting in the pound (not really, JK)

04/25/05  07:27pm
Sorry, No Replies

Kit-kat
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyes   In reference to Message Id: 322803

I dont like my beardie!

OK i like him its just not working out now i really dont want to take him back its just i thought.................i dont know what i thought LoL i hold him everyother day for 30 min he is mellow sometimes and is getting used to me he just seems unhappy and im doing everything right? QUESS WHAT I WAS HOLDING MY NEW BABY LEOS I HAVE ALOT! lOl AND ONE GOT AWAY I DONT KNOW WHERE SHE IS? MY MOM IS SO SCARED! LOL SHE GOT BEHIND OUR SINKING UNIT OUR BATHROOM AND WE MAY HAVE TO RIP OUT THE BOARDS TO GET THE LITTLE GIRL! WOW ISNT LIFE GREAT! i will take your advice about them covering the other 2 sides of the cage i hope this works he looks in them like there is another beardie sometimes and freaks out maybe thats why his beard is turning black?

04/25/05  07:33pm
Sorry, No Replies

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Kit-kat   In reference to Message Id: 322829

I dont like my beardie!

You need to hold him every day, not every other day, also try SOME hand feeding, just a little or he could get spoiled.

04/25/05  07:35pm
Sorry, No Replies

Schnebbles
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyes   In reference to Message Id: 322832

I dont like my beardie!

My dragon is a pretty lazy one, I think.

I didn’t realize you had trouble holding yours, that would make a difference. I was lucky/am still lucky that my dragon will almost always let me hold him unless he’s really in an energy spurt then he wants to be roaming around. But at night I’ll hold him and he’ll lay on me & go to sleep and he’s very calm. He has never not let me hold him.

Maybe you could get your dragon out later on at night when he’s ready to go to sleep & see if you can hold him on you while you watch TV or something, and he can go to sleep. I think you need to try & hold him every day too.

I hope he gets better. I’m sure that if you could get him used to you that you will enjoy him alot more. I wouldn’t be happy either if I couldn’t hold my dragon.

04/25/05  08:02pm
Sorry, No Replies

Caroline
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyes   In reference to Message Id: 322832

I dont like my beardie!

I agree with everyone about spending time with him- Grendel wasn’t that much fun at first, but once we bonded and I started to understand his personality, he’s a great pet- I know just how much I can trust him to run loose in the house, and he enjoys sitting on my shoulder. Bailey is still full of wonder about everything! I’m just starting to trust her enough to let her run around (100% supervised) and she is a lot of fun. If you don’t spend time with them, they’re just like having a goldfish- not much to it. Much more rewarding when you give them baths, hold them, and let them explore their surroundings.

04/25/05  08:09pm
Sorry, No Replies

Kit-kat
View Profile

Message To: Schnebbles   In reference to Message Id: 322859

I dont like my beardie!

Ok thanks i put some computer paper on the sides of his cage the back of his cage already had a nice desert background and he came out! Now he is eating some treats carrots and grapes weird mixture but his favorite! He came out before i gave him the treats thats not what made him come out. He is just exploring

04/25/05  08:13pm
Sorry, No Replies

Caroline
View Profile

Message To: Kit-kat   In reference to Message Id: 322872

I dont like my beardie!

Remember that carrots and grapes are both "occasional" foods for beardies- not for everyday. Beautifuldragons.com!

04/25/05  09:22pm
Sorry, No Replies

Master Of Cold Blood
View Profile

Message To: Kit-kat   In reference to Message Id: 322872

I dont like my beardie!

Baby Drake is very entertaining, he runs around and will tilt his head in wonder, and climb me like a jungle gym. I hold him everyday too he’s never hissed or bite me and he lets my mom and neice hold him too. He’s a sweet lil fellow. I have a Green Basilisk and he’s the son of the devil, I should’ve named him Demon, or Dante....he’s evil and will bite and run away from me but I love him anywayz.

04/25/05  09:25pm
Sorry, No Replies

RedRain
View Profile

Message To: Master Of Cold Blood   In reference to Message Id: 322968

I dont like my beardie!

yep yep, like they all said, hold him, and hes so young dont worry about being bitten, mine tried to bite at that age and they dont have muchfor teeth and it honestly doesnt feel like aynhting...lol

04/25/05  10:11pm
Sorry, No Replies

Kit-kat
View Profile

Message To: RedRain   In reference to Message Id: 323024

I dont like my beardie!

I only give him his fruits once a week or even that.............i know ive been on that site thousands of times and have the food list taped to my fridge

04/25/05  10:43pm
Sorry, No Replies

Negativity
View Profile

Message To: RedRain   In reference to Message Id: 323024

I dont like my beardie!

When i had gotten my 3rd beardy the lady i got her from said shes very timid and likes to hide alot and is scared of alot of things the lady also said that 1 out of 20 beardies are like that also , ive had her for some time now and she has done a complete 180 shes always out and she loves me.. i would give it some time before you consider getting rid of your beardy.. like everyone has said atleast hold it but make sure you dont have like your tv or sterreo loud cause that might scare him or her and that could lead to biting or other stuff

04/25/05  10:47pm
Sorry, No Replies

Lady
View Profile

Message To: Negativity   In reference to Message Id: 323067

I don’t like my beardie!

I love my Bandit. He is very entertaining. We have a routine where he gets hand fed butternut squash after his crickets every night. He then gets held for about twenty minutes. I let him bask for about an hour to warm up good then its lights out. He bit me a couple of times taking the squash off my fingers and it just felt like a little tiny squeeze...no pain at all. I couldn’t help but laugh because I had to shake him off to get him to stop. LOL
Keep your beardie on a good routine and he would be better adjusted to you I think. Also, I pet Bandit on his back and under his chin alot before I pick him up to let him know we are friends. I have never had any problems with him as of yet.
Hope this helped some. Good luck and don’t give up.

04/25/05  11:23pm
Sorry, No Replies

Kemp
View Profile

Message To: Lady   In reference to Message Id: 323116

I donít like my beardie!

i pmed u

kemp

04/26/05  04:20pm
Sorry, No Replies

Kit-kat
View Profile

Message To: Kemp   In reference to Message Id: 323743

I donít like my beardie!

Hey everyone this has been going on for about 3 months now it seems like forever i love animals and have never had problems not liking them. I love animals so much i am taking all the classes i need to become a marine bioligist! Its my dream! He is just a pain and i hold him like 5 times a week he is just not a nice pet. I guess he is just one of those animals and my mom wont let me keep him she told me i cant keep him if he is going to bite me she doesnt want anything he might have to spread to me even though he has been checked for everything already? She is really over protected of me and she doesnt want me to keep him he is so cute though but her and my dad said no more! I tried to tell them he is just getting used to everything but they said no. Im so mad! So i guess i have to get rid of him he is getting better at his temperment everyday? Does n/e one want him i would like something for him? I payed alot for him. Im so sad!

04/26/05  08:54pm
Sorry, No Replies

Kit-kat
View Profile

Message To: Kit-kat   In reference to Message Id: 324141

I donít like my beardie!

Grrrrr im so mad! I just got grounded for yelling at my parents i really dont want to give him away i hate my parents! They want to get a dog and my mom is getting allergie shots? She also said she never new how big they get and she doesnt want that thing in her house! I hate her! Please i nead someone to take him! Some one with good experience.

04/26/05  10:25pm
Sorry, No Replies

KAS
View Profile

Message To: Kit-kat   In reference to Message Id: 324271

I donít like my beardie!

How old is he?? Where are you located?? Are you willing to ship him?? Do you have pics of him?? How much do you want for him??

These are things you are going to need to answer to find him a home.

04/26/05  10:34pm
Sorry, No Replies

Shoobly
View Profile

Message To: KAS   In reference to Message Id: 324284

I donít like my beardie!

Lol, who are you kidding Kel? Kitkat, these are things KELLY (and I’m sure a few other people that might be interested, lol) need to know.

04/26/05  10:54pm
Sorry, No Replies

KAS
View Profile

Message To: Shoobly   In reference to Message Id: 324317

I donít like my beardie!

I don’t know Shoobly. This thread really upsets me. First she says she doesn’t like her beardie because " he isnt really entertaining". I don’t know, but during my research on BD, I never read the they jump thru rings of flames or stand on their hind legs and dance or even give your their paw. Then she comes back today and blames her parents for not letting her keep the un~entertaining beardie. Hmmm. Anyway, I hope the lil unentertaining beardie finds a home where he will be loved and cared for. I’m not sure if I’m interested in him but I’m interested in seeing him find a great home.

Sorry if this offended anyone but this kind of thing bothers me. I guess all that matters now is that the lil guy gets the loving caring home he so much deserves.

04/27/05  12:15am
Sorry, No Replies

Shoobly
View Profile

Message To: KAS   In reference to Message Id: 324418

I donít like my beardie!

Very well said, Kelly. I was just teasing you in my other post because I know you’ve become a reptiholic too!

04/27/05  12:21am
Sorry, No Replies

LadyK
View Profile

Message To: Shoobly   In reference to Message Id: 324425

I donít like my beardie!

lol my mom gets upset when i tell her we are running outa crickets and she always says that thing has to go. but she loves him and she knows that if i have to give him up its going to break my heart. although she says it shes takes him out whiles shes cooking dinner and lets him sit on the counter and watch she even feeds him the salads i have pre made in the fridge lol. im sorry to here about ur mom and not letting you keep it. i would love to take him if my mom said it was alright lol ill ask her and find out :). i think pappy would love to have a friend in the house becuz playing with the turtles isnt much action ahahhaa lol.

04/27/05  09:09am
Sorry, No Replies

LadyK
View Profile

Message To: LadyK   In reference to Message Id: 324628

I donít like my beardie!

kit kat dont give him away yet my mom said she might let me take she just wants to know a couple things first check your messages....

04/27/05  10:05am
Sorry, No Replies
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area