Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Luvgex   Gizaz   Dadx2mj   Luvgex   Sublime   Cbatusf   Blue eyes   Raymack9120   Gizaz   Blue eyes   Reptichik   Raymack9120   SpeacilK   BoaBabe448   SpeacilK   Ferndalezoo   Dadx2mj   XenaKieran   OllieFlip   KAS   Luvgex   Frogmister   Starcat  
 Member  Message

Luvgex
View Profile

Dragon Abuse!

My boyfried, though I love him so, is a horrible parent! Sometimes, he leaves the day-time light on for days at a time, same with the night light. He feeds Ike romaine lettuce, and 10 crickets once a week! Iíve given him caresheet after caresheet on beardies, but he still says "Heíll be alright". HE EVEN HAS HIM ON CRUSHED WALNUT SHELLS!!!! No matter what I say, he just blows me off because itís "his lizard".

Iíve warned him about impaction, he doesnít seem to think itíll actually happen. He doesnít think an animal can have ill effects from stress...He just wonít listen to me. He wonít use paper towl, or newpaper, or even repticarpet because it "doesnít look as cool".

What can I do!?!

06/28/05  04:00pm
Sorry, No Replies

Gizaz
View Profile

Message To: Luvgex   In reference to Message Id: 384869

Dragon Abuse!

maybe you could ask him if hell give it to you or ask about buying it of him try to get it out of there

06/28/05  04:07pm
Sorry, No Replies

Dadx2mj
View Profile

Message To: Gizaz   In reference to Message Id: 384883

Dragon Abuse!

Quote:

What can I do!?!

Cut him off until he sees it your way. My guess is that it wont take long

06/28/05  04:13pm
Sorry, No Replies

Luvgex
View Profile

Message To: Gizaz   In reference to Message Id: 384883

Dragon Abuse!

Iíve already tried! The only thing that semi worked was: I told him he was wasting all that money just to have something die. That perked his interest. BUT he said he start doing things differently when it got sick, which I think is HORRIFIC and mildly retarded. I was thinking about just takiní it, but I donít have the space or money for another lizard mouth to feed.

06/28/05  04:14pm
Sorry, No Replies

Sublime
View Profile

Message To: Luvgex   In reference to Message Id: 384891

Dragon Abuse!

i know the type....want a pet cause its cool but are ignorant about proper care, and then when theyíre informed they choose to ignore it because theyíre lazy

retarded is right

06/28/05  04:32pm
Sorry, No Replies

Cbatusf
View Profile

Message To: Luvgex   In reference to Message Id: 384891

Dragon Abuse!

Personally, I couldnít be with someone that abuses animals. . .

06/28/05  04:33pm
Sorry, No Replies

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Cbatusf   In reference to Message Id: 384903

Dragon Abuse!

Quote:

Personally, I couldnít be with someone that abuses animals. . .

I agree.

06/28/05  04:36pm
Sorry, No Replies

Raymack9120
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyes   In reference to Message Id: 384908

Dragon Abuse!

i have a question about the walnut shells, why those arentít any good.

06/28/05  04:48pm
Sorry, No Replies

Gizaz
View Profile

Message To: Luvgex   In reference to Message Id: 384869

Dragon Abuse!

If you could find someone that has the money to care for another beardie then you could take the beardie there for now.

06/28/05  04:48pm
Sorry, No Replies

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Gizaz   In reference to Message Id: 384918

Dragon Abuse!

Because they are sharp and can cut up the insides and can also cause impaction. They are pretty much the very worst substrate you can use.

06/28/05  04:50pm
Sorry, No Replies

Reptichik
View Profile

Message To: Gizaz   In reference to Message Id: 384918

Dragon Abuse!

Take the dragon, and on your way out the door, dump him. Ok, maybe not realistic, but no offense, he doesnít sound like the smartest guy. I personally would not be able to be around him, knowing that he just doesnít care. Do you have any friends that might take the dragon and give him a good home?

06/28/05  04:53pm
Sorry, No Replies

Raymack9120
View Profile

Message To: Reptichik   In reference to Message Id: 384925

Dragon Abuse!

i use really really groung up walnut shells itís like sand. Thatís still bad, okay what should I get? Also what about Romain Lettuce I feed it to my beardie as his daily greens, he is in love with them. Like crazy, if I can get a pic i will show you guys.

06/28/05  06:02pm
Sorry, No Replies

SpeacilK
View Profile

Message To: Reptichik   In reference to Message Id: 384925

Dragon Abuse!

tell him youíll return his calls and talk to him as soon as you see improvement in the dragon.

06/28/05  06:04pm
Sorry, No Replies

BoaBabe448
View Profile

Message To: Raymack9120   In reference to Message Id: 384993

Dragon Abuse!

So... go to Lacyís site or Seans site and read a care sheet..

www.diamond-gems.com

www.heartmountainherps.com

Then, throw away all of your romaine lettuce and walnut shells/ sand. Put some shelf liner/paper towels/tiles down and feed him collard/turnip/escarole/endive greens. No lettuce.

06/28/05  06:07pm
Sorry, No Replies

SpeacilK
View Profile

Message To: BoaBabe448   In reference to Message Id: 384998

Dragon Abuse!

she knows all that. its her boyfriend that needs the help.

06/28/05  07:40pm
Sorry, No Replies

Ferndalezoo
View Profile

Message To: SpeacilK   In reference to Message Id: 385083

Dragon Abuse!

RAYMACK:

Walnut shells can and will cause impaction. Remove them pronto. Read all the threads here about substrate (there are several) and make your own decision as to what to use. Personally we use reptile carpets.
Romaine lettuce is not a good staple green. Try collard, turnip, dandelion, mustard, escarole.......

LUVGEX:

Iím not going to tell you what to do with your life, but frankly I could never date anyone who, in the face of better information, continued to abuse their animal...........

06/28/05  07:48pm
Sorry, No Replies

Dadx2mj
View Profile

Message To: Ferndalezoo   In reference to Message Id: 385088

Dragon Abuse!

BAH if cutting him off did not work that only means he is getting it some where else. Dump him

06/28/05  08:31pm
Sorry, No Replies

XenaKieran
View Profile

Message To: Dadx2mj   In reference to Message Id: 385127

Dragon Abuse!

Quote:

BAH if cutting him off did not work that only means he is getting it some where else. Dump him

OUCH!!! :p

06/28/05  08:35pm
Sorry, No Replies

OllieFlip
View Profile

Message To: XenaKieran   In reference to Message Id: 385134

Dragon Abuse!

thats terrible. dumping him isnt going to change the problem. dumping him will just get you out of the problem not the dragon. if he doesnt listen to you or care about what the care sheets say theirs not much you can do. i would keep a eye on the dragon as much as you can. and turn off the light once in a while. just keep one him about the problem. and drop some crickets in their when hes not looking lol.

06/28/05  11:06pm
Sorry, No Replies

KAS
View Profile

Message To: Dadx2mj   In reference to Message Id: 385127

Dragon Abuse!

Quote:

LoL I have to agree

06/29/05  01:45am
Sorry, No Replies

Luvgex
View Profile

Message To: KAS   In reference to Message Id: 385472

Dragon Abuse!

LOL. No, no, no. There will be no dumpage. 1) I donít want to. 2) Ike would probably not be around much longer...But we have made some changes..

I bought him 100 crickets yesterday, so he doesnít have the "Iím broke right now" or "I need money for gas" excuse.

I brought over some veggies that my mom feeds her iggy.

I convinced him to get the walnut shells out of there and Ike is now on brown construction paper (tacky, I know, but itís prettier that paper towel) and on Friday weíre gonna look at the other options, repticarpet, shelf liner, or this other crap that you get wet and mold it and let it sit under the heat lamp for a couple hours and it dries to a solid mass.

And no, heís not gettiní it anywhere else, thank you very much!

06/29/05  11:01am
Sorry, No Replies

Frogmister
View Profile

Message To: Luvgex   In reference to Message Id: 385675

Dragon Abuse!

mabey the reason youre with this guy is to save the beardie!! he needs your help! sit your boyfreind down and ask for five minutes to talk with no inturuption, then explain everything, then let him talk.

06/29/05  11:09am
Sorry, No Replies

Starcat
View Profile

Message To: Frogmister   In reference to Message Id: 385681

Dragon Abuse!

You could always wait until heís not home and change the bearded dragons set up and when he gets back say "Surprise"!!
Then stick a care sheet right on the side of the tank, and tell him if he loved you heíd follow it! :)

Thatís probably what I would do. LOL Good luck.

06/29/05  01:17pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area