Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Kimmie   RepticZ   Xanadu   Bearded Dragon Lover   Kimmie   Bearded Dragon Lover   Sunstars Owner   Bearded Dragon Lover   Kimmie   Sango   Kimmie  
 Member  Message

Kimmie
View Profile

Cat vs. Beardie

I need a lil help. I was just given a 4 month old kiten. I have been putting the lid to my 2 year old beardie onto its cage and locking in place. Today is the second day in a row I have some home and one of the lights r knocked onto the side and I also found cat hair on the lid today. Iím trying ot figure out a way to stop this because it only happens when Iím at work. I live alone. One of my friends suggested spraying a lil ammonia onto the top side of the cage. Would this hurt the beardie in anyway? Iím just worried the cat will brake through the lid by accident or brake one of the lights in the process and the glass going into the cage with my beardie and the cat getting into the broken glass as well. If anyone has any suggestions I will be very thankful! I just want to keep both of them safe while Iím not at home.

08/09/05  05:51pm

RepticZ
View Profile

Message To: Kimmie   In reference to Message Id: 435124

Cat vs. Beardie

Why dont u just bring your beardies cage into a room. and when you leave for work close the door so the cat cant get in.
RepticZ Im not sure this will help. any one can think of it... but hey thats what i would do!

08/09/05  06:01pm

Xanadu
View Profile

Message To: RepticZ   In reference to Message Id: 435138

Cat vs. Beardie

I havenít had this trouble, my cat is now 11 and could care less about my dragon. But when she was younger, and she would do a bad thing, I would spray her with a spray bottle (water)...I noticed she was getting up on the counters in the kitchen so I left the spray bottle on the counter and she didnít go near it. She wouldnít go on the counters if the spray bottle was there. If your beardie is on a table or something, you could try that....weíve also used double stick tape...put it on the table your dragon is on where your cat would jump onto and the first time she jumps on that double stick tape, she wonít wanna do it again. Weíve used that to keep our cat from sleeping on the back of the couch. For stray cats outside that get into our plants and stuff, my husband put Bounty Dryer sheets in the dirt....they donít like the smell of that stuff and stayed away from those areas but I donít know how it would affect your beardie.

But, I agree, the best solution is to lock your beardie in another room if you have one.

08/09/05  06:58pm

Bearded Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Xanadu   In reference to Message Id: 435242

Cat vs. Beardie

I agree..i had to do that cause one of my cats wouldnít leave my beardies alone. I locked him out, then if he ever snuck in when I would walk in the room, Id spray him with ALOT of water, and throw him outta the room. He doesnít bother them anymore, but I will NEVER trust him with the lizards. My other cat is MADLY in love with my adult and will cuddle with her.

08/09/05  07:05pm

Kimmie
View Profile

Message To: Bearded Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 435248

Cat vs. Beardie

My post earlier didnít go up : I canít lock my beardie and cat in different rooms. I have a 1 bedroom appartment and it has only 1 window AC unit. If I close my door to the bedroom, it cuts off all air flow and gets very how and stuffy. Iíve thought of it, but thought might do more harm to the animal put into the room. Thats y I was wondering if there might be something else I can try.

08/09/05  07:13pm

Bearded Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Kimmie   In reference to Message Id: 435260

Cat vs. Beardie

Well, then your gunna have to try to train the cat

08/09/05  07:16pm

Sunstars Owner
View Profile

Message To: Bearded Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 435263

Cat vs. Beardie

You could try to hold the beardie when the kitten is around and let the kitten smell the cat.
If Iím holding my bearded dragon, my cat comes over and sniffs it carefully but if Sunstar-my beardie-moves my cat gets scared and wonít go near her.

08/09/05  07:39pm

Bearded Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Sunstars Owner   In reference to Message Id: 435302

Cat vs. Beardie

I would HIGHLY not recommend doing that, ESPECIALLY with a kitten. A baby dragon is unpredictable, and so is a kitten. When I did let my cat get close to my dragon, i was holding his paws and not letting him get more then 2 feet from the dragon. My other cat is obsessed and will jump at the dragon if it sees its tail. You really have to know the animals.

08/09/05  08:02pm

Kimmie
View Profile

Message To: Bearded Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 435330

Cat vs. Beardie

I just found some stuff for cats called No Stay. U spray it on a fabric and place the fabric on the area u donít want the cat to get onto. So I sprayed it onto some fabric I had laying around and placed the fabric all around the areas around the cage. I will see tomorrow if that works.

08/09/05  10:14pm

Sango
View Profile

Message To: Kimmie   In reference to Message Id: 435550

Cat vs. Beardie

Simple problem fixer :D Iíve got two cats, they had this habbit of climbing on certain things and those certain things happend to be too weak to hold them so I got some tape, wrapped it around in a loop so that it had sticky sides on both (or get two sided tape) and tape it across where you donít want you cat. It worked wonders for me. They hated the tape sticking to their feet, tried a few more times and then gave up and never went back on again. Youíll have to remember to keep the tape there constantly for the first bit though or it wont work.

08/09/05  10:42pm

Kimmie
View Profile

Message To: Sango   In reference to Message Id: 435579

Cat vs. Beardie

I got woken up this morning by the cat jumping onto the beardies cage again. This time I got him with the water bottle. I put that No Stay stuff I got on every area he can jump from. I also broke down this morning and put down some double sided tape like u guys have suggested on the edge of the lid where the catís paws would hit. I will see when I get home if that has helped. Iím hoping it does. Iíve had my beardie for 2 years now. I donít want her hurt.

08/10/05  08:39am

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area