Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Birds Forum

EvilTrailMix   EvilTrailMix   Kimforster   Dalime   EvilTrailMix   Dalime   Jon whittington   Dalime  
 Member  Message

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Help! Zebra finch care

Hey, I’m usually on the snake or tarantula section, but I’ve just acquired a young zebra finch and I could use some pointers.

NOTE: Not an impulse buy, I rescued it from a little kid who was trying to stick it in a tree. He said it was a pet that his mother no longer wanted, and she’d told him to put it in a tree. Grrr, irresponsible owners...

Anyway, it doesn’t have all of its feathers yet and it can’t fly. I don’t know how it was being cared for before, or how to feed it. I’ve got it set up in a small plastic critter keeper for the moment, with some paper towels and dried grass. I’ve got a dish with some crunched up Cheerios and sunflower seeds, and I gave it some water by medicine dropper about an hour ago. Here’s a picture:

So yeah, I’d love any help or suggestions you could give me. Thanks!

08/01/10  08:42pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2166495

Help! Zebra finch care

The bird just died. I couldn’t get him to eat and I guess the poor little guy was just too young to survive without his parents. Stupid, irresponsible pet owners make me sick.

08/02/10  11:58pm

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2166788

Help! Zebra finch care

Hello

I am sorry to hear he died.

Judging by the look in that picture he wasn’t a baby. He was an adult male. The lack of feathers, not eating & sitting on the ground rather than moving around or trying to perch on something indicates the bird was very ill. The previous owners were certainly very irresponsible with this bird.

08/10/10  11:13pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Kimforster   In reference to Message Id: 2168511

Help! Zebra finch care

that is sad... people shouldn’t buy pets that they aren’t going to keep >=/
A little advice for if you’re ever going to get a zebra finch... they need bird cages-not kritter keepers. kritter keepers are for reptiles and bugs. they need perches, bird seed, and fruit. They need atleast 1 more zebra finch in with them- or they will get extremely lonely, stressed, and will possibly die.

12/24/10  11:43am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Kimforster   In reference to Message Id: 2168511

Help! Zebra finch care

Thanks, Kimforster. I guess that makes it even worse then, that the previous owners let him get to that state. It’s really upsetting when people show this kind of disregard for their pets that they often claim to love.

Dalime- I know birds need bird cages and not critter keepers. I don’t have a bird cage so I was doing the best I could with what I had. I also went out and bought some finch seed, but I thought the bird was a baby so I didn’t know if he could eat it. If I ever decide to keep zebra finches in the future, rest assured I will research their needs and proper care before I do so. Don’t worry, I’m not completely incompetent.

12/28/10  02:25am

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2194752

Help! Zebra finch care

haha ok just making sure you knew

12/30/10  04:59pm

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2194752

Help! Zebra finch care

you not only need finch food but i dont know what its called or cant remember it looks like sand its used to digest the food or they will die

01/25/11  01:28am

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Jon whittington   In reference to Message Id: 2200880

Help! Zebra finch care

Um.. mine didn’t use that and it was the exact same species (it lived a good long life too).. they don’t really need the sand.. unless you are talking about the fiber stuff that helps them, but isn’t imperative.

01/25/11  06:43pm

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area