Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Birds Forum

TurtleBites   Kimforster   TurtleBites   Byn   Kiraku   TurtleBites   Kimforster   TurtleBites   Kimforster   TurtleBites   Sukieblur   TurtleBites   Reptilesrock   Kimforster   TurtleBites   Crocadile kid 7   R3PT1LE   Kimforster   R3PT1LE   TurtleBites   Chalscripta   Toadally toads   Byn   Byn   ANIMAN   Crazy4reptiles88   TurtleBites   B.d.man   Cheeks   TurtleBites  
 Member  Message

TurtleBites
View Profile

Humping birds?

so i was watching my bird today and she was doing something funny with her ring that hangs in her cage...almost like she was "humping" the ring....its her fav toy and she sleeps with it every night on her head but i have never seen her do this till today...she was putting one leg in the ring(like shes straddling in) and rubbing it up and down and even sticking her tongue out and making funny noises,she seems to REALLY be getting into it, am i the only one with a bird that does this???i tried to take some pix but apparently she likes to do this alone or when Iím not looking...lol.

05/23/05  07:21pm

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 351442

Humping birds?

Your not alone. The occational bird does this. I would suggest you take away her toy for a while, replace it with a new one. She might or she might not get upset about it but once sheís settled down & gotten over missing the toy (give her a few months) you can give it back toher. By the time you give it back to her she wouldíve forgotten all about this business & treat like every other toy.

05/24/05  12:06am

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: Kimforster   In reference to Message Id: 351849

Humping birds?

is it bad for her??? if its not i donít wanna take it from her...shes had it for years and years...i just never seen her do that..i had to take her mirror away cause she would be sweet and fluff up to it then next thing you know shes beating the heck outta it making such a ruckus...shes crazy.....but if its in no way unhealthy for her ill just let her be...i was just wondering if anyone else has thins going on...thanks for the info...take care and tanks

05/24/05  12:25am

Byn
View Profile

Humping birds?

are you sure shes a she? my male birds are the only ones iv ever seen "hump"anything in their cages

05/25/05  11:36pm

Kiraku
View Profile

Message To: Byn   In reference to Message Id: 353748

Humping birds?

i think you should check with an expert like ME! I think she could be ready, or wanting to mate. You should just see what she does without her toy for a while, YES I do mean take it away from her.

05/26/05  09:50pm

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: Kiraku   In reference to Message Id: 354646

Humping birds?

no Iím not really sure shes really a she...iv had her for 10 years or so and never really cared what the sex was...Iím not even really sure how old she is...she was given to me...guess the people think shes too loud...and she is..her ring on her foot says 93 on it Iím not sure if thatís the age or not...i guess my little nibbles could be a boy is it bad for her..err him to be doing this?? just wonder why you suggest taking the ring out?...just wondering,thanks.

05/30/05  07:05pm

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 357816

Humping birds?

What kind of bird is she? Can you post a pic of her? If you take away her toy sheíll stop humping & leave it out for a few months. This will give her time to forget all about it. Once you put it back in after a few months sheíll have forgotten the humping & how much she loves this toy & treat it as a toy. It should be taken out. I have heard female birds doing the same thing but that also depends on the type of bird. If we can get a pic we may be able to tell you if itís male or female.

05/30/05  10:07pm

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: Kimforster   In reference to Message Id: 358000

Humping birds?

Shes a Quaker parrot hereís some pix of her.

the last one is really old...i had to take that mirror out because she kept beating it up and really getting upset at it...no idea why...and her old rings she would sleep with them on her head...now she sleeps with the big gray one she...well humps.

thanks.

05/31/05  02:43pm

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 358465

Humping birds?

Quakers I think can only be sexed by DNA or surgically. Sheís a beautiful bird though.

05/31/05  10:52pm

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: Kimforster   In reference to Message Id: 358946

Humping birds?

thank you very much i didnt think you could relly tell by looking,i know some you can by the colors...anyways...thank you again...have a good one

06/01/05  05:35am

Sukieblur
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 359207

Humping birds?

I wouldnít be overly concerned. I have a female sun conure that has tried to mate with her toys.

06/03/05  06:21am

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: Sukieblur   In reference to Message Id: 361049

Humping birds?

i wasnít really concerned with her doing it i was just wondering if i was the only one with this issue...Iím not that experienced with birds so i didnít know....iv had her 10 someone years and shes been the only one...well i had an amazon that was nasty and REALLY hated me so i found her a great home with a lady that has other birds and takes them in as rescues....i only got concerned when people been telling me to take her toy ring out so she cant do it...and i did do that and she donít really seem to miss it at all...but now she is getting "freaky" with the water dish...so i dunno....guess she is just a ninfo..lol...but if it isnít something that can effect her heath Iím not that worried about in...thanks all

06/03/05  05:56pm

Reptilesrock
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 361523

Humping birds?

Well, she may not actually be humping it at all. But even if she(if it really is humping, itís probably a he) is, itís just hormones as itís mating season again. My friendís cockatiel tries to mate with socks.

06/03/05  11:54pm

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: Reptilesrock   In reference to Message Id: 361846

Humping birds?

LOL mating with socks....the only reason to take out her toy would be so she doesnít wear herself out with ítoo much excersiseí if sheís constantly at it then you probably should take out the toy. If she stop to rest she will probably be ok.

06/04/05  02:04am

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: Kimforster   In reference to Message Id: 361939

Humping birds?

lol..she donít do it all the time but she does it a lot iv just been taking her out of her cage and letting her on the top so she forgets it...i still havenít gave her ring back yet.

06/04/05  06:49pm

Crocadile kid 7
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 362483

Humping birds?

turtlebites,i dident know u liked birds

06/06/05  02:19pm

R3PT1LE
View Profile

Message To: Crocadile kid 7   In reference to Message Id: 363890

Humping birds?

hey TurtleBites if you dont know what kind of bird yours is its a love bird.

06/08/05  02:50pm

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: R3PT1LE   In reference to Message Id: 365879

Humping birds?

Sheís definately a quaker but they do look similar

06/09/05  10:42pm

R3PT1LE
View Profile

Message To: Kimforster   In reference to Message Id: 367198

Humping birds?

oh yes it is a quaker sorry about the wrong info they do look alike.

06/09/05  11:54pm

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: R3PT1LE   In reference to Message Id: 367298

Humping birds?

iv always known the type of bird she(or he) is just not the sex....thanks anyways.

06/13/05  05:37pm

Chalscripta
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 370343

Humping birds?

I had a cockateil that would become very friendly with any and every thing in the cage his favorite was his water dish and his bath dish and even went as far as to put the moves on a piece of lettuce. He go for hours and some times didnít even care who was watching. After a few more years we eventually gave him away to a friend who had others and wanted to breed them so now he very happy and has made many many many little baby birds. Did I mention that he made allot of little birdies well he did allot and now his genetic material is no longer being wasted on toys and water dishes and the occasional vegetable.

06/15/05  12:45pm

Toadally toads
View Profile

Humping birds?

Your bird is masturbating. It is perfectly natural. I had a conure that used to do it to his toys, and to the cage bars when ever my one friend came over, lol. A bird alone still has mating urges, and a need to be intimate, depending on the species. What kind of bird is it? I am assuming itís a parrot from this behavior.

06/21/05  04:15pm

Byn
View Profile

Humping birds?

jsut be creative like me.. i took a yellow sock, stuffed it, and glued some feathers on it so it looked like it had a tail, and my love bird went to town..its better than him tryin to hump e4verything that moves, now he thinks he has a mate, and gets upset if you move it.. heíll walk over to it and start chirpin at it like hey you, i left you over there by the water dish, GET BACK THERE.. he even "feeds" his lil sick, so that it can keep its strength up..lol.. oddly enough, i got him a female love bird eventually, and took away the sock, and hes never once tried to mate with the actual bird,, he keeps her in the nest box, and brings her food.. but never mates.. hes confused:(

06/23/05  11:37pm

Byn
View Profile

Humping birds?

jsut be creative like me.. i took a yellow sock, stuffed it, and glued some feathers on it so it looked like it had a tail, and my love bird went to town..its better than him tryin to hump e4verything that moves, now he thinks he has a mate, and gets upset if you move it.. heíll walk over to it and start chirpin at it like hey you, i left you over there by the water dish, GET BACK THERE.. he even "feeds" his lil sock, so that it can keep its strength up..lol.. oddly enough, i got him a female love bird eventually, and took away the sock, and hes never once tried to mate with the actual bird,, he keeps her in the nest box, and brings her food.. but never mates.. hes confused:(

06/23/05  11:38pm

ANIMAN
View Profile

Message To: Byn   In reference to Message Id: 380498

Humping birds?

funny!

07/13/05  12:19pm

Crazy4reptiles88
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 357816

Humping birds?

that ring on her foot that says 93 means that she was born in 93.

07/13/05  02:11pm

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: Crazy4reptiles88   In reference to Message Id: 400705

Humping birds?

yeah thats what i was thinking.thanks

07/13/05  04:37pm

B.d.man
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 400944

Humping birds?

my cockatoo Ocar does this 2 a rope we have in his cage. if u try 2 touch it he attcks u like crazy! so we left it and we call it henrietta,lol.

08/14/05  01:03am

Cheeks
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 358465

Humping birds?

Is she a parrotlet?

10/23/05  12:28pm

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: Cheeks   In reference to Message Id: 520169

Humping birds?

shes a quaker parrot