Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boa Constrictors Forum

Newboanoname   Addicted   Newboanoname   Addicted   Newboanoname  
 Member  Message

Newboanoname
View Profile

Question about boas going under water

i just bought a female baby albino Colombian boa constrictor for my son. I was watching her in her tank today and she was hanging out beside her waterfall having a drink, and the next time i looked she was completely under water at the bottom of the water fall where there is a pool filled with water about 5 inches deep. I took her out of the water and put her back in her favorite spot under some leaves. i was wondering if it is normal for them to go completely underwater. I was worried that because she is a baby she didnít know what she was doing and might drown. Could someone please let me know f i should keep that pool filled or if it is dangerous?????

12/30/06  06:57pm

Addicted
View Profile

Message To: Newboanoname   In reference to Message Id: 1112760

Nothing to worry about they like to soak in water sometimes,But excessive soaking can sometimes point you in the direction of parasites.Say your snake soaks all the time he might be trying to control an infestation of mites but a soak once in a while is just fine,Heíll know when to get out.

12/30/06  07:07pm

Newboanoname
View Profile

Message To: Addicted   In reference to Message Id: 1112767

thank you addicted Iíve been paranoid about that pool at the bottom of the water fall all day and was watching her but she seems to be fine and i thank you for putting my mind at ease. Is there a certain amount of water that may be too deep for her or is 5 or 6 inches of water OK. Does her going underwater mean she can breathe under there for long periods of time or is there a limit they can stay under there?

12/30/06  10:18pm

Addicted
View Profile

Message To: Newboanoname   In reference to Message Id: 1112995

I donít think the water can be too deep they can swim pretty well, and they canít breathe underwater just hold their breath for a while.

12/30/06  11:11pm

Newboanoname
View Profile

Message To: Addicted   In reference to Message Id: 1113037

thanks i figured out that there is an air pocket in the pool under the water fall and she stayed under there for quite a while but i realized she was going in there because she was in shed because a few days later she started her shed.

01/08/07  07:03pm

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area