Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boa Constrictors Forum

GunshotxRomance3   Fairy Frog Mother   GunshotxRomance3   ReptileJay   GunshotxRomance3   ReptileJay   GunshotxRomance3   GunshotxRomance3   Fairy Frog Mother   GunshotxRomance3   Fairy Frog Mother   ReptileJay   GunshotxRomance3   ReptileJay   GunshotxRomance3   ReptileJay   Kevim   GunshotxRomance3   Bazzer   Fairy Frog Mother   GunshotxRomance3   GunshotxRomance3   Kenyan sand boasssss  
 Member  Message

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

I think I have a big problem..

This has happened twice now.. I’ll feed my boa and a day or two later he will throw up his food(?)
I really don’t exactly know how it happens.. for example, I fed him on Friday and he stays at my college dorm and I went home over the weekend and when I walked into my room it smelled absolutly horrible and i find that there’s the mouse laying in the middle of his cage (looking REALLY gross)... I know for a fact that he ate the mouse on Friday because I even made sure to move everything around in his tank and make sure it wasn’t there..what could be doing this?? Do I need to take him to a vet??

10/26/09  12:01am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2088649

Most commonly its caused from intestinal parasites, constipation/impaction, improper humidity/heat (especially heat) stress or being handled too soon after eating.

Check to insure his tank is at the proper heat/humidity. If that is all in order, see if you can get it to a vet to check for impaction and parasites.

And yeah, that has to be one of the worst smells ever. I had a corn snake I was caring for over the summer regurge...and ugh...yeah. awful!

If its regurgitated twice now, wait a week or more between feedings to insure your snake has digestive juices in its belly again. Make sure it has under belly heat to help digest the food. Id say if it does it one more time, be sure to bring it in right away. I would also call now for a consultation. Be sure also that it has good hides in the warm and cold sides too.

10/26/09  02:27am

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2088683

I never handle him after he eats so I know for a fact that it isn’t from handling him after eating.
As for his tank the temperature at night at around 80’F and during the day it’s 88-90’F and the humidity is around 50% when I spray the tank with a water bottle. He never ever useses his hide and I have no idead why, I’ve put him in it like twice and he comes right back out. I’m using a heatlamp on his cage for heat because I read that they need a basking spot. So I’ll wait until next weds to feed him again (that way if he decides to regurgitate it again it won’t be sitting in there over the weekend, hopefully), And if he does regurgitate it again I’ll call the vet.
Thanks!

10/26/09  07:12am

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2088708

Usually regurgitation has to do with the snake feeling stressed out or exposed, but since he won’t use his hides, I doubt this is the case. When is the last time he pooped? You want to soak him in a mildly warm bath for about 20 minutes. If he’s constipated, this will usually get him to go. If he’s pooping regularly, than I’d get him to a vet to make sure there aren’t other problems. Also, impaction is unlikely. You always hear people talk about it, but I’ve yet to meet anyone who has had actually ever had this problem. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen. I just think it is more rare than people think.

10/26/09  11:02am

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2088745

I believe he last pooped a couple weeks ago but he doesn’t look constipated or anything because i thought that when they usually were near the end of their tail would be really fat?

10/26/09  12:16pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2088757

I don’t know what a constipated snake looks like. All of mine poop like a baby eating applesauce. I just know when one of mine has gone two feedings without a poop, (I keep a feeding and defecation chart) I soak them, and they poop every time.

10/26/09  07:38pm

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2088858

hmm.. i will try soaking him tomorrow.
thanks!

10/26/09  07:44pm

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2088859

I have soaked him twice now (once yesterday and once the day before that) for about 20 mins each in warm-really warm water and he still has not pooped.. Should I just keep waiting, and wait to feed him until next week and then see if he regurgitates that mouse and if he does then take him to the vet?

10/29/09  08:12am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2089623

If he pooped two weeks ago, and has regurged in between, Constipation is not its problem. The soakings wont have hurt any though, and its a good thing to try when youre trouble shooting.

How do you thaw your prey items? Warm Water? On the Counter? (Just making sure you dont microwave em or stick em in boiling water to thaw- they cannot digest cooked meat. You probably already know that though)

I would call the vet and see what they say. You always want to wait at least a week, mabey two after a regurg so they can build their stomach acids back up.

10/29/09  11:37am

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2089669

I thaw both the boa and the bp’s food the same way, I put water in bowl that is big enough for the mouse/rat and i microwave the wat for about a minute and 10 seconds then I put the mouse or rat in the water and cover it with something for a minute or a few minutes and i’ll periodically check and see how thawed it is. I leave it in the water until it is completely thawed and warm (my BP won’t eat if it isn’t really warm) and then I feed it to them.
And as for him pooping, right now I’m not 100% sure if he pooped or if it was a urate, I know it was one of the two I just can’t exactly remember which is was but he hasn’t done either since but I know for a fact that he’s been drinking water because I’ve seen him drink.

10/29/09  02:06pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2089717

That should be fine, since you arent nuking the rat/mouse. As long as it isnt being cooked by boiling hot water, should be fine.

A vet check wont go amiss. Id try calling them and getting a professional opinion on whether to try to feed again this weekend, or take it in first.

10/29/09  02:48pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2089730

The fact that he’s drinking is very good. I agree with FFM, a vet check isn’t a bad thing right now. If you want to put the vet off, give him 7-10 days without feeding and then try again. I don’t know how big your snake is, but it may be that the prey item is too big for the snake. I doubt this is the case, but you may want to try feeding him slightly smaller prey and see if he can keep it down. Young boas are known to regurgitate if the prey is too big. I think your best bet is to take it to the vet though. Good luck.

10/31/09  01:23pm

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2090317

He’s a 2009 baby, i don’t know what month but I’d say he’s about a 1-1.5 ft. The place where I got him from said that they were feeding him small mice so that’s what I bought but I’m going to call the Vet on Monday and see what they say. Thank you so much for all of your help, I really appreciate it!
Here’s a picture of him next to my 3 year old BP and a shoe..haha

10/31/09  01:49pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2090327

Yeah, that is a little guy. Small mice are too big for that snake. Save your money on the vet. Switch to smaller prey. My guy is about 25-33 inches (hard to get him to hold still for a proper measurement). Anyway, I feed him fuzzy mice. He recently started pounding two at a time, so he’s moving to rat fuzzies as soon as I place my order. Stop with the small mice. Switch him to either fuzzy mice or rat pinkies. Rat pinkies are better. Easier to switch him to rats now rather than when he’s bigger. You don’t want a 5’ boa that won’t take rats.
You have a python, so I know you’re aware that a python can take meals larger than you would think. Its not the same with a boa constrictor. Smaller is better with these guys. Change your prey item and I’m willing to bet you will eliminate the problem. Good luck.

10/31/09  05:30pm

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2090378

Okay, I’ll go to the store tomorrow and buy fuzzy mice or rat pinkies (whichever they sell there). When I switch him to the smaller prey will I still feed him once a week?

11/01/09  11:25am

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2090568

Yes. Well, start at once a week and make sure he is eating regularly. Boas have slower metabolisms, but when they are young like this they can eat about every 5 days. But with the regurgitation problems you are having, I would go with once a week for a couple of feedings. Make sure it has been at least 10 days since his last regurgitation. You want to make sure his stomach has built back up to be able to digest, or you’re just going to have the same problem.
Like I said, my boa is double fisting mice fuzzies like a fat kid with a box of twinkies. 2-3 days after feeding he’s back out and cruising the cage looking for more, so he gets fed every 5 days. Once I switch to rat fuzzies (placed my order with rodent pro) he’ll get them once a week unless he displays this same behavior. Also, I don’t know if you’re feeding frozen/thawed, but if not, this is the time to do so. Its much easier to switch while they are eating smaller mice. Good luck and keep us updated.

11/01/09  11:32am

Kevim
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2090570

same thing happened to mine last fall raise the heat immediately. try adding a heat mat if you do have one add add another

11/01/09  03:06pm

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Message To: Kevim   In reference to Message Id: 2090621

yes I’m feeding f/t. thanks a lot again!

11/02/09  12:23am

Bazzer
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2090881

How often are you feeding in between the times that he has vomitted?

If he has vomitted and you fed him too soon afterwards (say a minimum of 7 days) then the chances are his stomach acids hadn’t stocked up again, which could have caused another vomit. Give him a good 2 week rest from feeding since his last vomit. Continue to monitor his temps and try to have a nice gradient of temps between 80f cool end and 90f warm end. If he vomits after a good 2 weeks of not eating, then i’d do a vet trip. Also, i’d make his first feed after 2 weeks a small meal, like a rat pup or mouse no bigger than his stomach is round at the largest point.

I had a similar experience with my first corn and it turned out to be cancer (poor chap).

Best of luck with him.

11/02/09  03:45pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Bazzer   In reference to Message Id: 2091126

oooh is he a ghost Anery? Hes very pretty. Hope he gets back on feeding without issues soon!

11/02/09  04:08pm

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2091140

Thank you!
I’m not sure.. he was only listed as an Anery boa but apparently the breeder that I got him from weren’t that helpful with info so here’s some more pics. :]
in the pictures he has a brownish tint to him but he doesn’t reall have that he’s really silver/grey

11/03/09  04:00pm

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2091549

Update:
I fed him on tuesday and he ate fine, he hasn’t regurgitated (knock on wood) and he defacated, it was small but he still did it! :D

11/05/09  10:36am

Kenyan sand boasssss
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2088649

you are feeding too big of a mouse go smaller.

11/27/09  02:08pm

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area