Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boa Constrictors Forum

Bazzer   Bciaddict   Bciaddict   ReptileJay   Oopsy1181   Bazzer   ReptileJay   Fairy Frog Mother   Mark5008   CAM95  
 Member  Message

Bazzer
View Profile

Man Killed by Boa

Hi guys,

I do hope that this doesn’t affect anyone directly on here but heard about it and was wondering if there is any new information on what happened. Was it stupidity, a freak accident or any other reason?

Once again, i hope this doesn’t affect anyone and as you know the last thing i would want to do is upset or offend anyone.

Baz

Boa Kills Man

06/11/10  06:05am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Bazzer   In reference to Message Id: 2154864

Man Killed by Boa

I don’t know..but it’s a bad, bad thing for boa owners and the proposed legislation over here.

Sounds like the guy carried the boa on his shoulders quite often....

What I was wondering is since, I haven’t seen any pictures of the snake...is it actually a boa???

Amie

06/11/10  07:52am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2154870

Man Killed by Boa

Yup, it’s actually a boa...crud!

Amie

06/11/10  08:07am

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2154872

Man Killed by Boa

Yeah, the guy had the snake draped around his shoulders and he had a friend with him who, it seems, did nothing to help but call 911. It makes you wonder if alcohol may not have been involved. Either way it was sheer ignorance or stupidity to allow the snake near his neck. It should be a lesson to all of us to not underestimate the strength of our animals.

This is really bad for all of us.

06/11/10  10:26am

Oopsy1181
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2154872

Man Killed by Boa

All I can say is this is sooooo very sad. I guess Im in a bit of shock over it myself. My prayers truly go out to the mans family that passed away. I just dont understand one part of it though. They said he was showing the snake to a friend......why didnt the friend pull the snake off of him? They said the snake is 6 ft long so his death could have been avoided. This is truly a sad story.

Mine is 8 ft long and even though I love her, I never take her out when Im alone. I always wait till my fiance gets home. Its not that I think she would intentionally kill me but hey accidents do happen. Unfortunately this is one of those times.

06/11/10  10:39am

Bazzer
View Profile

Message To: Oopsy1181   In reference to Message Id: 2154892

Man Killed by Boa

From what i’ve heard, and only what i’ve heard, is that the guy was stood near a tree, which makes me think that the snake may have seen that as a way to make a bolt for it. You know that thing when they latch hold of a bannister or part of snake racking and you can’t get them off?

Well it makes me wonder if the snake latched on to a branch and as the guy tried to free it, it may have tightened up and the more he moved the tighter it may have got. I agree that it is sad, but you have to wonder if there was drink of something else involved. Either way, it has made me think twice about holding my girl on my shoulders, but then again, I always have a hand between her body and my neck, along with another hand on her tail.

Truly a very rare and isolated sad incident.

06/11/10  05:56pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Bazzer   In reference to Message Id: 2155014

Man Killed by Boa

It is very sad. I am sorry for the family and his children’s loss.

He went to put the snake away, it slipped off his shoulders, got scared, and did what snakes do. He wrapped his tail around anything he could to stop from falling. It is an unfortunate accident.

It still could have been prevented with proper handling.

The link is to an interview with the family, and a video.

Link

06/12/10  02:57am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2155107

Man Killed by Boa

So many more people are killed by dogs or cats even (Cat scratch fever) each year than from snakes (including snake bites) in the past ten, yet the media jumps on this.

Its just like anti pit bull sentiment. I remember when I was a kid in the 70s the bad pet that would "Turn on its master" was the doberman.

I am very sorry for this mans family. And sorry for the snake too. Clearly the animal control folks there dont know proper hubandry for large snakes, because there is no way you can keep proper heat and humidity behind bars unless the whole room is a sauna.

06/14/10  01:48am

Mark5008
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2155557

Man Killed by Boa

damn! i have a 40 cm boa, a 3 foot boa and a 7 foot boa..... i will never hold them round my neck EVER!

06/16/10  08:06am

CAM95
View Profile

Message To: Mark5008   In reference to Message Id: 2156181

Man Killed by Boa

this is not good (sorry for stating the obvious), but the guy shouldn’t have had a snake that big around his neck. I don’t even get my boy out without someone being around. although, i doubt that the media, and legislators will see it that way. as Fairy Frog mother stated previously, dogs and cats kill more people than snakes, and to be perfectly honest, most deaths caused by pet snakes are a direct result of the owners negligence (as in improper feeding procedure), or just a freak accidents. hopefully, this will not be a significant foothold for the proposed snake ban to be signed into law.

06/16/10  08:29pm

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area