Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Deathpool   Bciaddict   Deathpool   Bciaddict   Deathpool   Bciaddict   Deathpool   Bciaddict   Deathpool   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Deathpool
View Profile

Nic boa breeding

i was wondering how big nic boas need to be to be able to breed. my female is 41 inches long and the male is like 25 inches long

11/20/09  05:39pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Deathpool   In reference to Message Id: 2097193

Nic boa breeding

Age plays a bigger part than size. How old are they?

The male seems a bit small. Do you have a picture of them? I’m curious as to how thick they are. A female Nic needs a good fat reserve to carry her litter.

Has the male gone off feed? Has he been very active at all hours of the day and night? Has he been leaving sperm plugs in his enclosure?

Amie

11/21/09  07:46am

Deathpool
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2097321

Nic boa breeding

the female is a early 08 and im not sure of the male. the female is not really fat but she is good. i know the male is younger but for the past week he has been moving around all over his tank day and noght more often at night. my camera on my phone takes bad pics but i will try to get one up

11/21/09  04:57pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Deathpool   In reference to Message Id: 2097405

Nic boa breeding

An 08 female is way too young to breed. Female C.A. boas should be at least 4 years old before they are bred.

Males can breed as early as 18 months but it’s best to wait until they are about 3 years old.

Your male is probably just exploring his cage, or maybe he’s just hungry.

Amie

11/22/09  07:24am

Deathpool
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2097576

Nic boa breeding

i put the male in the females cage and she immediately started to move around and she lifted her tail and just started moving around swaying her tail around does that mean anything?

11/23/09  10:06pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Deathpool   In reference to Message Id: 2098140

Nic boa breeding

Yeah, it’s called cloacal gaping and it can mean three things:

1) considering her age, she’s telling the male she’s NOT ready.

OR

2) if she where old enough, she’s spreading her pheromones and telling him she is.

OR

3) females can also tell when a male is too young, in which case she could be doing that for this reason

If she’s 41 inches at only a year old, she’s either not a pure Nic or she’s been power fed. If she’s been power fed and you try to breed her too young, she will have a very short lifespan.

If you care about your boas at all, you should separate them until they are actually old enough to breed. Trying to breed them too early usually results in a very poor litter an can result in premature death of the female!

Amie

11/24/09  06:32am

Deathpool
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2098228

Nic boa breeding

yea i seperated them last night i just wanted to see what happened. she is actually going to be 2 years in febuary but i believe the male is to young. the female just kept following him around

11/24/09  12:25pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Deathpool   In reference to Message Id: 2098327

Nic boa breeding

If she was/is hungry she might have been hunting him down for her next meal.

Amie

11/24/09  01:22pm

Deathpool
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2098358

Nic boa breeding

i doubt it i had her with another female a couple weeks ago and she didnt show this behavior. thanks for the help i will just try to breed them next year

11/24/09  01:30pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Deathpool   In reference to Message Id: 2098364

Nic boa breeding

It’s really easy to be all excited and impatient and want to breed as soon as they physically will breed, but Amie has a lot of breeding experience. She isnt trying to discourage you from breeding, but to encourage you to wait so that your snakes will be in the best health possible to prevent complications.

Breeding a more mature female will usually result in a healthier clutch of babies due to the fact she has time to build muscle, organ tissues and fat reserves without being power fed. Amie said that for CA boas its best to wait until the female is 4 years old, and you are saying you will breed next year when the animal is almost 3. Why ask for advice if you aren’t going to take it?

They’re your pets, and you can do what you want with it, but think about your priorities. Are the snakes you have really worth loosing at a far younger age to produce clutches that have a far higher risk of complications?(which means Vet Bills or dead snakes) Sure, you could luck out and have a perfectly healthy clutch...but really...is it worth the risk?

12/09/09  01:09pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area