Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Willy8419   Pythonlover369   Croc Attack   Willy8419   Midtennboa   Scott Wrozier   Willy8419   Addicted   Likuidslider603   Willy8419   Mxracer   Willy8419   Artemius   Likuidslider603   Embryo_spit   Embryo_spit  
 Member  Message

Willy8419
View Profile

Project Entertainment Center to Snake Enclosure. HELP!

Ok, So I want some advice whether or not this would be a good plan, and if you all think it would serve my needs. I found and entertainment center at Target for $100.

I want to turn it into this

The grey would be pvc Pipe for support and climbing. Red is belly heat, the white is where i would cut out a hole, and drop in a rubbermaid tub for soaking water. I would make doors out of plexiglass, two stall doors for the top enclosure, and one totally removable, double locked door on the bottom enclosure. The back will be covered with wood, and they I want to cut out holes for venting, and cover them in mesh for security.

My question, I have the skills, money and time to build it, but would it house an adult red-tail boa in the top, and a ball python in the bottom?

Original measurements on the entertainment center: Overall Dimensions: 48.88 x 14.87 x 41.63" H

I also plan on waterproofing all the wood.

12/14/07  10:09am

Pythonlover369
View Profile

Message To: Willy8419   In reference to Message Id: 1546272

daamn..
i think thats a really good idea.
i kinda want to do this too.
cept im not good at building.
lol.

12/14/07  03:37pm

Croc Attack
View Profile

Message To: Willy8419   In reference to Message Id: 1546272

dude craigslist....you could find a bigger one cheaper

12/14/07  04:17pm

Willy8419
View Profile

Message To: Croc Attack   In reference to Message Id: 1546554

Trust me Im a craigslist feind. I cannot find one I liked for a reasonable price than can compete with a new one. I actually would get this in black, it was just easier to photo shop the maple.

12/14/07  04:28pm

Midtennboa
View Profile

Message To: Willy8419   In reference to Message Id: 1546563

The idea is good but it wonít hold up.The moisture from humidity and water spillage would cause it mold.Those entertainment centers are made of cheap pressed wood and it will just soak up water.If your good at building your better off building from real wood and using a good sealer.

12/14/07  08:51pm

Scott Wrozier
View Profile

Message To: Midtennboa   In reference to Message Id: 1546810

hell you could probably even build the hole thing out of Fiberglass reinforced plastic, just ask the people in the monitor forum about the stuff, they use it in about everything they build since they have to build enclosure for any monitor.. or it dies

12/14/07  09:05pm

Willy8419
View Profile

Message To: Scott Wrozier   In reference to Message Id: 1546826

I am going to hold off on this big project for now. I do not like the aquarium I have my little RTB in now, so I am in the process of turning this little end table into a cage for my RTB while she is small, and any future smaller snakes I may have.

Here is the before picture, I will keep yall updated as I make progress on it. Hope to have it done by the end of Saturday.

Im going to put in a plexiglass door w/wood frame and a viewing glass on the top. I already have vents drilled in the back. It will have an antique black wood finish when im done with it! (now back to the sanding)

12/14/07  09:34pm

Addicted
View Profile

Message To: Willy8419   In reference to Message Id: 1546857

I used to love the idea of building cages out of pre existing things but it is a crap shoot.Just buy a plastic cage that is designed for snakes,it will last forever.

12/14/07  10:23pm

Likuidslider603
View Profile

Message To: Addicted   In reference to Message Id: 1546903

I built my cage pretty long ago and i havenít had one problem with it since. The heating works out fine with just one CHE. I made it out of a computer armoire. It is made of pine, yes i know some say pine is bad for snake, But i have not seen any negative effects on Tiny yet. I made sure to get all the fumes out from sealing it and i got all of the dust particles out of it because thatís what actually causes the URI.

Here are some pics from when i built it-

I dont have any of my recent pics of tiny uploaded unfortunately, but she is about a year and a half and is a around 6.5 ft maybe a little bigger now.

My boa actually spends most of her time in the tree or up behind it on the shelf. I feel that she uses the height of the cage alot, and if i were to build a new one it would be bigger in all ways, including height.

12/15/07  09:50pm

Willy8419
View Profile

Message To: Likuidslider603   In reference to Message Id: 1547755

So i finished turning my little $5 end table into an enclosure for my RTB. I know it is small but it works for now, and is better than the over sized tank I had her in. Let me know what you think.

Before

In Progress

All Done

Let me know what you think!!!

She loves her new place by the way, she likes the little ledge in the back.

-Caitlin

12/16/07  09:25pm

Mxracer
View Profile

Message To: Willy8419   In reference to Message Id: 1548824

looks nice but you should put more stuff in there for her to climb on

12/16/07  10:01pm

Willy8419
View Profile

Message To: Mxracer   In reference to Message Id: 1548862

I already have, There is a small hide on the cold side now, and I added in a branch that is screwed in to either side, and runs right down the middle of the cage. She is loving the new place, I think she is more comfortable in a cage that better fits her.

12/16/07  10:46pm

Artemius
View Profile

Message To: Willy8419   In reference to Message Id: 1548914

I made a dual-cage out of and entertainment center that was exactly like that (well, the doors were a different design...). It has housed a Jungle Carpet for half a year now - no mold problems, anything. And mine was used.

Iíll try to upload pics and info tomorrow.

12/20/07  02:35am

Likuidslider603
View Profile

Message To: Artemius   In reference to Message Id: 1551648

When I built mine there were some concerns of mold and moisture issues. The easiest way to fix that was to spray sealant all on the inside, then seal the joints with silicon. Let that dry completely and fume out, then lay down tile. I used adhesive tile. Itís fake tile that can just stick on the wood. Then i sprayed and sealed another 2 times. Just make sure you let everything air out and youíll be fine. It will hold humidity well but it wonít let it get into the wood.

12/23/07  03:53pm

Embryo_spit
View Profile

Message To: Likuidslider603   In reference to Message Id: 1554584

Aww youíre so smart. I did the same thing with mine, except it was a big screen TV that I gutted out. Saved me over 200 dollars.

12/30/07  03:41am

Embryo_spit
View Profile

Message To: Embryo_spit   In reference to Message Id: 1560975

Buy really really really good schlack (sp)

I mean we sanded, shlacked, sanded shlakced, youíre lookin at like 6 layers.

LOOOOOTTTTSSSS of room though. Not to mention itís on wheels. It will be quite the pain in the behind to try and smuggle into a college dorm room...But Iíll manage.

12/30/07  03:44am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area