Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Balljewl   Hummi   Termite   Razeraze   Balljewl   Termite   Razeraze   SuperSaiyanSmits   Munkyboy   Razeraze   Munkyboy   Razeraze   Razeraze   Munkyboy   Razeraze   Munkyboy   Razeraze   Balljewl   Xi Nick001 iX   Munkyboy   Balljewl   Razeraze   Munkyboy   Munkyboy   Razeraze   Florida boy   Munkyboy   Razeraze   Munkyboy   Razeraze  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Balljewl
View Profile

How big does a red tail boa get?

??

05/27/06  08:06pm

Hummi
View Profile

Message To: Balljewl   In reference to Message Id: 806820

depends on what kind of "red tail" boa you are talking about. Dwarf species top out at 4-5 ft for females, and larger species can reach 10-12 ft

05/27/06  08:22pm

Termite
View Profile

Message To: Hummi   In reference to Message Id: 806848

BCCís average 8-10 feet, and BCIís average 6-8 feet. Thereís a little lee-way on those for male anf female.

05/27/06  09:05pm

Razeraze
View Profile

BIG

that is what i live by. the bigger the better. if you want a small cage get a small reptile perhaps an anole.

05/28/06  10:52am

Balljewl
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 807462

so how big of a cage ?????

05/28/06  10:41pm

Termite
View Profile

Message To: Balljewl   In reference to Message Id: 808424

Depends on the size of the snake. The ideal cage would be as long as the snake itself... but there are always other routes. Take for example a vertical cage, say, built out of a closet. The most important thing to take into consideration when buying/constructing your cage is to make sure your animal will have ample room to move comfortably and climb at will... in other words, to just be a snake!

05/29/06  12:30am

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: Termite   In reference to Message Id: 808640

nicely put. thought this was going to turn into the classic shallow cage tall cage debate.

05/29/06  12:17pm

SuperSaiyanSmits
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 809073

my neighbor has a 9 foot boa and his cage is tall just like Razeís. So Iím sold on building one just like it. They love to climb. So unless you decide to become a breeder, give it as much room as you can for better health

05/30/06  12:12am

Munkyboy
View Profile

Despite what many will say, Boa Constrictors rarely get larger than about 10 feet. Most will top out at about 7-8 feet in length. I do know of a few males that have reached lengths of 9 feet, and even have seen a nine foot male. There are also a few 12 foot females that have been documented, and Iíve seen one that was 12 feet, as well. Most will not get this large, especially if fed conservatively. Donít believe any source that tells You, that the record length for Boa Constrictor is 18.6 feet. This is an urban legend, that actually turned out to be a misidentified Anaconda. Anyone that says they grow larger than about 12 feet? I say, show Me one.

05/30/06  01:36am

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 810213

the oakland zoo had a confirmed 14 footer. i will see what i can dig up. like i said there are always extremes i have seen 20 foot anacondas though most people donít believe they get that big.

why feed conservatively to deliberately stunt an animal. that is not fair to the animal. you making it a manageable size just because you can.

i say prepare for a 15 footer and you will never have a problem. donít try and keep it small and hungry that is how accidents happen.

i guess when rachel and i have kids we should feed them every 2 days. they wonít die the human body can go 7 days with out food. this way we can keep our children smaller and not have to provide bigger beds etc.......

05/30/06  12:08pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 810603

Iíd love to see an actual case of a Boa Constrictor measured at 14 feet. As hard as Iíve tried, I cannot find a documented case of one surpassing the 13 foot mark. Letís not try to turn this into a feeding debate, as Weíve been there, done that. Iím just trying to keep it real, and go with what has been prooven, as far as max lengths of Boa Constrictors are concerned. This "recorded record length of an 18 foot Boa", actually was prooven to be a misidentified Anaconda. This rumor has been repeated, so often, that even Zoos and other Wildlife authorities have perpetuated it, without researching it. Iíd rather advise to prepare for a 12 footer, that could be as heavy as 80 lbs., as there are a few in captive collections today, that have reached those lengths, and weights. This is an exception, rather than a rule, as these are giants of the Boa Constrictor world that have obvious genetics at work to grow to such large sizes. More likely, most Females in captive collections will not get that large, regardless of feeding frequency or amounts.

05/30/06  12:33pm

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 810630

i will keep you informed when charger gets that big. her appetite is up again and she is eating XXXlg rats like crazy.

she is 4 years old and 7+ feet. if she live to 30 i bet she gets big. now the record for longevity is 40 years on a weekly feeding schedual so who knows the possibilities.

i will call the zoos and see if i can find out where the documented case is. i also know some great feild researchers i will ask.

05/30/06  12:47pm

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 810630

here is another good sourceLink note it has documents on the questionable anaconda why would it boldly lie about a boa?

05/30/06  12:58pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 810660

Well I donít get My information about Boa Constrictors from Ask.com, or other unreliable sources. That site says that Boa Constrictors are from 1.2-25 feet in length, are they including anacondas? I hope so. Itís gets even sillier as You read on. Just look at the distribution range given for Boa LOL! I copied this directly from Your link....

Distribution:
South America, Central America, Mexico, southwestern Canada, western United States, and West Indies; southeastern Europe and Asia Minor; sub-Saharan western Africa east to Tanzania, north through Egypt, and Mediterranean coast from Egypt to eastern Morocco; Madagascar and Reunion Island; Arabian Peninsula; southwestern and central Asia; Indian subcontinent and Sri Lanka; Sulawesi, Moluccan Islands; New Guinea; Bismarck Archipelago; and Melanesia east to American Samoa

Give Me a break will Ya.

05/30/06  01:16pm

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 810691

if you look where they got there info from at the bottom of the page it is the michigan department of zoology.Link

now i have talked to the sandiego zoo and the national zoo both are on the fore front of the most up to date research and cutting edge research. both were the first zoos to captive breed komdos in the western hemisphere. both i have the utmost respect for and trust far more than the breeders you provide sources to.

why would such advanced zoos lie? do you really think they do not research before they open their mouths?

05/30/06  01:22pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 810701

It is a shame that the most respected people, often do give out widely accepted misinformation without researching first. I wouldnít call it lies, rather unknowingly perpetuating urban legend, without even knowing it. You seem to want to turn this into a discussion of who knows more breeders or Zoologists, and that is just a dumb argument in the first place. Iíll say that breeders certainly have much more collective experience with larger numbers of these animals. Iíll say Zoologists certainly have some experience as well. Iíd say the most knowledgeable are the Herpetologists. What is this all about? I thought we were talking about the longest Boa Constrictor ever to be recorder. I am asking anyone that can prove a documented case of one over 13+, or better Yet 18 feet. Itís that simple for Me, Prove it! Otherwise it is pointless to talk about 13-18 foot Boa Constrictors.

05/30/06  01:34pm

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 810713

that is the whole point. the proof is found in the referances. every site that quotes a zoo or book leads me in the right direction. for me to prove you wrong i would have to go through the zoos referance or buy every book listed to find that info. it is just not possible. i can ask where they got it from and try to find that source like all the referances on ask.com which you bashed.

it would take me years to go through all the info and find all the sources. it is easier to talk to the people who make the claims and decide if i believe them.

Quote:

Resources
Books:

de Vosjoli, Philippe, Roger Klingenberg, and Jeff Ronne. The Boa Constrictor Manual. Santee, CA: Advanced Vivarium Systems, 1998.

Greene, Harry W. Snakes: The Evolution of Mystery in Nature. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1997.

Minton, Sherman A., and Madge Rutherford Minton. Giant Reptiles. New York: Charles Scribnerís Sons, 1973.

Murphy, John C., and Robert W. Henderson. Tales of Giant Snakes: A Historical Natural History of Anacondas and Pythons. Malabar, FL: Krieger Publishing Company, 1997.

OíShea, Mark. A Guide to the Snakes of Papua New Guinea. Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea: Independent Publishing, 1996.

Pope, Clifford Millhouse. The Giant Snakes: The Natural History of the Boa Constrictor, the Anaconda, and the Largest Pythons, Including Comparative Facts About Other Snakes and Basic Information on Reptiles in General. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1961.

Stafford, Peter J., and Robert W. Henderson. Kaleidoscopic Tree Boas: The Genus Corallus of Tropical America. Malabar, FL: Krieger, 1996.

Stebbins, Robert C. A Field Guide to the Western Reptiles and Amphibians: Field Marks of All Species in Western North America, Including Baja California. 2nd edition. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1985.

Tolson, P. J., and R. W. Henderson. The Natural History of West Indian Boas. Taunton, England: R & A Publishing Limited, 1993.

Periodicals:

Kluge, Arnold G. "Boine Snake Phylogeny and Research Cycles." Miscellaneous Publications, Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan, no. 178 (1991): 1Ė58.

óó. " Calabaria and the Phylogeny of Erycine Snakes." Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 107 (1993): 293Ė351.

McDowell, S. B. "A Catalogue of the Snakes of New Guinea and the Solomons, with Special Reference to Those in the Bernice P. Bishop Museum. Part III. Boinae and Acrochordoidea (Reptilia, Serpentes)." Journal of Herpetology 13, no. 1 (1979): 1Ė92.

05/30/06  01:40pm

Balljewl
View Profile

well guys id like to announce thaat i bought a 12 and a half red tail boa to a person from toronto i bought a shower for it believe it or nnot im going to make some shelves for it ect for the roof im going to put screen fabric on the top and get a 175 watt infered light bulb what do you recomend should get a tree will it survive with inferred what do ya think.

05/30/06  01:41pm

Xi Nick001 iX
View Profile

I do beleave 1-25 feet is kinda unbeleaveable but more like 1-18 feet.

Boa is a genus of snakes in the family Boidae. The four species in the genus are commonly known as "boa constrictors" after the first species of the genus to be described, the Red-tailed Boa, Boa constrictor. (To add further to the naming confusion, many species of snake in Boidae are known as "boas" and all are constrictors ó that is, they kill their prey by constriction.)

Snakes of this genus are very common in Latin America, and perhaps the most sought after as pets. They can grow up to 5 metres and feed on birds and small mammals.

The Red-tailed Boa, Boa constrictor is the most widely known species of this genus. It is also the largest member of its family, with the largest recorded specimen being over 18 feet (5.5 m) long (though this is thought by some to possibly be a misidentification of species, see Red-tailed Boa). It has an interesting pattern of brown and black with a red tail (see picture). It does well in captivity and tames easily and is a common sight in zoos and homes.

That is from Wikipedia but, Boas have been known to reach 12 feet in length.

This is about the San Diego Zoo

The Red-tailed Boa, Boa constrictor, is a species of boa, the second largest member of the family Boidae after the anaconda. The name "red tailed" boa actually refers to only one subspecies of boa constrictor, the true red tailed BCC or Boa Constrictor Constrictor. Boa Constrictors, depending on their sex (females are larger) and subspecies, can reach from 5 to 12 feet as adults. The largest Boa Constrictor in captivity is a female BCC from Suriname that is 14.5 feet, who resides at the San Diego Zoo.

05/30/06  01:48pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Xi Nick001 iX   In reference to Message Id: 810729

I so want to see a confirmed 14 foot Boa Constrictor. Iíd travel a good ways to see it in person (tape measure in hand) LOL!. Some 12 foot females are not so hard to find on the Internet. Iíve seen a few of them. I just have a very hard time thinking that as popular as Boa Constrictors are, and with so many thousands of sites dedicated to Boa Constrictors, none of them can show us or link us to any confirmed Boa Constrictors measured at or over 13 feet? Why is that? It just doesnít make sense. I believe that BCC, do possibly have the potential to get over 13 feet. Why canít anyone show Us one? Do they really exist? Now an 18 footer, well thatís too much of a stretch for Me.

05/30/06  02:21pm

Balljewl
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 810767

off topicc u guys lol tell mme what u think from my last note or whatever u call it

05/30/06  02:34pm

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 810767

you have to remember munkyboy. many sites are dedicated to selling and producing boas for profit. you know profit can sway logic and make even honorable sources lie.

what profit would a zoo make saying boas can reach 18 feet? the money maker is in more exotic species like emerald trees and anacondas not common boas.

think about it we could all have corn powered vehicles but that would hurt oil companies so they talk about their better emissions and fuel economy to keep themselves in business. unfortunately the herp world is not much different. it is ruled by the all mighty dollar. that is why dwarf retics and dwarf burms are available. all the pretty colors none of the expensive up keep.

if i lived in sandiego i would get you a pic. i can give you a pic of a 20ft anaconda and 400 lb burm which many people on the monitor site did not believe existed. because it is uncommon but not impossible.

05/30/06  04:45pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Balljewl   In reference to Message Id: 810785

Quote:

off topicc u guys lol tell mme what u think from my last note or whatever u call it

Please start a new thread, and include pictures of Your new Boa on the new thread. We love pictures.

05/30/06  07:07pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 810986

All of these Huge Boas to My knowledge belong to breeders. They are not hiding anything.Mc Carthyís Big Boa Page There are even some 12 footers there.

05/30/06  07:36pm

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 811249

yeah i have that link also. it has some pics of lou(the guy who holds the record for heaviest snake) and bob clarks.

great pics.

05/30/06  07:59pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 811284

that site on ask.com or whatever it was said that boas have paired lungs. I thought that they only had one lung. Or is that what paired lungs mean?

05/30/06  08:53pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 811386

Quote:

that site on ask.com or whatever it was said that boas have paired lungs. I thought that they only had one lung

Yeah, they have but one. That was part of what led Me to question the value of the sight. Iíll have to admit, most of the sources mentioned as resources for the site are highly respected, which leads Me to believe that none of them gave the stamp of approval to the overall information. Too many misnomers.

Anyone out there that can prove a 13+ foot Boa, or is it just a repeated rumor that continues to be stated over, and over? How big do they really get? I mean actual documented maximum lengths. So far, the best any of us can come up with is 12 feet and 80 pounds. There is said to be a 14+ foot Suriname BCC at the San Diego Zoo, but, nobody can seem to confirm that Yet with actual documentation, or photos.

05/31/06  07:51pm

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 812943

munkyboy did you contact the zoo? have you checked all the sources and that michigan zoology site for referances?

05/31/06  08:10pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 812975

Naah Man, I thought sure You would. LOL! Iíve been posting on other sites the same question, and checking frequently. No dice still. In the big scheme of things, it isnít a big deal, but, Iím still darn curious if anyone can come up with a true documented case of a 13+ foot Boa Constrictor. I honestly hope someone can. I want to have to say, I stand corrected on this one. I donít believe in 13+-18 foot Boas, but, I really want to. Without documented proof, I just canít. I stand on questioning authority, on this one. Címon Razeraze, Join Me for a change, I thought You, of all people would understand that. LOL!

05/31/06  08:31pm

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 813013

i am definitely swayed by your side on this but if i say boas seldom get 10+ feet every dumb newbie will go and buy one. then when that rare case happens they will complain and say they were given poor info. better to over prepare in my book. if my snake never gets over 10 feet at least i know my cage would give her more than enough room.

06/01/06  12:30pm
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area