Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas Forum

Travis_rtb   ColdBlooded666   Grunger   Jonas77   Shivaboa   CClark   Jingles  
 Member  Message

Travis_rtb
View Profile

Boa and Ball Python together?

i have a 5 ft. and a 2ft. red tail boa and a baby ball python. right now the two boas are together and i was wondering if i could put my 2ft. boa and my ball python together.....can someone tell me if this a bad idea
thanks

05/19/07  04:39pm

ColdBlooded666
View Profile

Message To: Travis_rtb   In reference to Message Id: 1286979

YES very bad idea.Sometimes different species donít get along and i highly doubt a boa and python would...

05/19/07  09:45pm

Grunger
View Profile

Message To: ColdBlooded666   In reference to Message Id: 1287229

pythons also have a chemical in them that they give off that can kill your boa so dont do it.

05/19/07  11:43pm

Jonas77
View Profile

Message To: Grunger   In reference to Message Id: 1287364

Quote:

pythons also have a chemical in them that they give off that can kill your boa so dont do it.

WHAT!?!? Show me some proof of THAT.

Its not a matter of snakes "getting along", they are supposed to have different habitats in the terrarium.

05/20/07  07:13am

Shivaboa
View Profile

One can kill the other.

http://www.boa-constrictors.com/com/News/News.htm

Scroll down to see the image of a boa that has swallowed a ball python.

05/20/07  09:12am

CClark
View Profile

Why do people continue to think keeping animals in the same cage is a good idea? There are so many reasons to keep them seperate, even the same species. These are independent individuals right out of the egg or after birth. The only time they really associate with each other is mating or communal hibernation. Why force non-instinctive behavior upon them? Itís simple, if you are concerned about keeping your charges in top health and unstressed, donít get them unless you can house them seperately. What some friend of a friend does, doesnít make it right. Most folks donít have the space to build a zoo type display where individuals have enough of their own space to be non-stressed. Zoos still run the risk of health issues if an individual in a display gets sick.

Craig

05/20/07  01:00pm

Jingles
View Profile

Message To: CClark   In reference to Message Id: 1287826

Ok first of all...housing two snakes together is asking to lose both snakes...either they will eat each other (which is even more so a possibility if u are putting a 5ft and 2 ft boa together) or one could get sick which would immediately pass it to the other one...u might think its cheaper or whatever, but in the long run, uíll either have to a) buy new snakes cuz they ate each other, or b) instead of payin for one vet bill, u are paying for two
As far as housing boas and pythons...its not a chemical but I believe it is possible for boas to carry a disease that they are immune to, but is deadly to a python...

Quote:

There are even diseases that are specific (or more deadly) to or carried by certain captive bred snakes only. For example, amongst the family boidae (boas and pythons), the highly contagious retrovirus that causes Inclusion Body Disease (IBD) is most commonly carried by captive bred boas (snake mites are suspected transmitters as well). This incurable and fatal disease originated with wild caught Asian Burmese Pythons, and itís not found in wild South American boas at all. While pythons are more likely to develop this disease, boas can be carriers without showing any signs (asymptomatic). There is no known reliable/affordable/risk free testing to find out if a boa is a carrier, and autopsy is about the only way it gets discovered ordinarily (unless the boa develops symptoms). There is only one other controversial way to know if a boa is a carrier, and that is to deliberately expose a healthy python (Iíve heard of people using Ball Pythons) to it on a regular basis. If the boa is a carrier, the python will likely contract it and die within three to four months.

Link
theres ur proof

05/27/07  02:03pm

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area