Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Juice*   Greatballzofire   Concolor1   Greatballzofire   Juice*   Greatballzofire   Matt Chandler   Greatballzofire  
 Member  Message

Juice*
View Profile

Bull Snake or Gopher Snake?!

How can you tell a bull snake and a gopher snake apart? What is different between the two?

07/09/09  09:08pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Juice*   In reference to Message Id: 2036941

Bull Snake or Gopher Snake?!

Link
I hope this helps. There are some small differences depending upon locale. I have six pituophis, and my oldest Pacific gopher looks more like a bull snake and the one wild rescue Pacific gopher does not look like any of my other Pacific gopher snakes, and my baby bulls look like Pacific gopher snakes! Argh! LOL!

07/10/09  12:15pm

Concolor1
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2037182

Only Slight Differences . . .

In many cases, and color pattern isn’t an absolutely reliable guide. Bull Snakes tend to run larger, and their heads have a blunt shape and are bigger in proportion to their body; those of a gopher snake are more narrow and slightly pointed . . .

Bull snake patterns tend almost appear to be "two different snakes," but this isn’t absolute. Here’s a shot of a Great Basin gopher I took about six weeks ago . . .

And another GB in my collection. These are useful because they are both wild specimens; interbreeding is easy, and will result in features being modified . . .

Finally, here’s my "Texas Bull," a nice healthy three-year old female that is pushing five feet . . .

07/11/09  04:18pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Concolor1   In reference to Message Id: 2037739

Concolor1, I can see the difference now! Thanks!

These are all my pituophis. The last fuzzy photo is the only one I have of my big Pacific gopher that shows her head shape; all the other photos she is eating! Just fed them this morning so don’t want to disturb them yet for another photo.

CB Pacific gopher snakes

Baby bull male...Kingsville red X Stillwater golden hypo

baby bull female...Kingsville red X Stillwater golden hypo

WC baby Pacific gopher

CB Pacific gopher.

07/12/09  07:03pm

Juice*
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2038202

so is this a bull or gopher?????

07/13/09  10:51pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Juice*   In reference to Message Id: 2038916

I’m guessing a bull. It’s head looks more like a bull snake to me. My bull snakes have freckles on the tops of their heads but none of my gopher snakes have any head freckles, if that means anything. The snake in your photo has a blunt nose, too, more bull snake like.

07/14/09  12:58pm

Matt Chandler
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2039126

I don’t think its a bullsnake GB. That looks like a gopher snake. Bullsnakes have a more pronounced rostral scale, giving their heads sort of a torpedo shape and for the size of that snake, the eyes are way to big in relation to the head. Plus the pattern comming down from the neck is a gopher snake’s sort of parttern. A bullsnake has a more broken pattern. I have both gopher and bullsnake so I can see the differences everyday. Alos gopher snakes have a more squared of nose tip seen from above

07/22/09  09:51am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Matt Chandler   In reference to Message Id: 2043268

Matt, I would agree. I have all these snakes and look at them every day, and still find it hard to tell the difference. My bulls seem thicker bodied with more tapered or pointy snout.

07/23/09  08:53am

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area